Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux feeder software for Flightradar24 (Old software)

Captain
    If you are running on Raspberry Pi, there is a Pi specific feeder that doesn't do this.

Also be sure to upgrade Dump1090 especially if you are near an airport ... there ahve been patches for ground traffic reporting as well as other issues.

Passenger
    This is another ARM device, however I'm aware of the new RPi feeder, but I would not want to use a specific FR24 decoder, if I want to share the data to other sites as well.
    My dump1090 is up to date.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by x-f View Post
    This is another ARM device, however I'm aware of the new RPi feeder, but I would not want to use a specific FR24 decoder, if I want to share the data to other sites as well.
    My dump1090 is up to date.
    I mean there is a Pi specific version of the Arm feeder that links to dump1090 - specifically built to prevent the spawning of zombies ... it might be worth trying.

I'm using the Pi version alongside the FlightAware feeder.

Passenger
    Sorry, I misunderstood you earlier, Peter. I found the "fr24feed_arm-rpi_242" version, over the night it has been working fine, and will probably continue to do so, without zombies.
    Thanks!

Early next week the new Windows and Linux software will be published live. We will then close this thread and start new feeder threads.

Captain
    Will you be discontinuing the use of the dump1090 based feeder this thread uses?

Can the new feeder connect to dump1090?
    - I found the answer to that one ...
    Quote Originally Posted by piopawlu View Post
    This software requires direct connection to your receiver, that is USB in case of Mode-S Beast. It will not work with a stream decoded by another application.
    Can the new feeder present data to other software in the same way that dump1090 does?
    The answer probably is Why should it?

The reason I'm asking this question is - can the new feeder be used alongside other feeders, or will you force people to choose to only feed FR24, or only the other tracking companies?
    Last edited by peterhr; 2014-10-18 at 07:05.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Early next week the new Windows and Linux software will be published live. We will then close this thread and start new feeder threads.
    I was planning on setting up the flightradar24 on a raspberry pi this weekend. I have it downloaded and I was going to just modify the dump1090 init script to also launch flightradar24.

Are you just updating the binary? If so I could probably just move ahead with this. Otherwise, if you are adding initialization scripts or abandoning dump1090 then I will probably hold off.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by sgreasby View Post
    I was planning on setting up the flightradar24 on a raspberry pi this weekend. I have it downloaded and I was going to just modify the dump1090 init script to also launch flightradar24.

Are you just updating the binary? If so I could probably just move ahead with this. Otherwise, if you are adding initialization scripts or abandoning dump1090 then I will probably hold off.
    As I understand it the new feeder talks directly to the dongle or receiving hardware, and feeds to FR24 only.

dump1090 is not and cannot be used.

The predicted closing of this thread suggests that we are now on final version of the old feeder.

Is not been stated but it's possible that the old feeder could in the fullness of time - be disabled (would only need the new feeder to talk to different servers, and the old servers be switched off or something)

I will continue to use dump1090 on the equipment I have paid for (so I can feed others as well as FR24) and if FR24 want me not to feed them, that's fine by me.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhr View Post
    As I understand it the new feeder talks directly to the dongle or receiving hardware, and feeds to FR24 only.

dump1090 is not and cannot be used.
    This would be a serious mistake, a lot of people multi feed, and some of the places we feed have no where near the saturation that FR24 does, so I ask myself, do I continue to feed an over loaded (for YBBN area atleast) FR24, or stick to help the smaller, but growing services, one of which without me cant cover YBBN under 8K feet last I checked, another, could do OK close to YBBN and outer areas with higher altitude.

Weighing it up, my next to pointless contribution to FR24 may very well be outweighed by the other two services, one of which I am , or last I checked, the primary for this area, and I may then shutdown FR24 feed.

So this new software would need to allow access to those ports, besides, as we know, dump1090 has a great inbuilt display system, one I use 99.9999999% of time, only rarely logging into FR24.

First officer
    unless it has port that these other feeders connect to.
    T-EGLF8