Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux feeder software for Flightradar24 (Old software)

Passenger
    Well, well, well.. I did some more testing and the result is that heavy network traffic of raw 1090 MHz data being transferred produces higher load on Rpi than decoding and sending away in decoded form.

Thus there is no reason to not decode ADS-B data on Rpi itself.

edit.
    for my reception range - just cca. 20 nm - it produces network traffic of 30 Mbit/s and more.
    Last edited by marty_oc; 2014-07-07 at 14:13.

The time difference is not the offset of your system clock,, but the offset between information received / information decoded columns in the TCP 30003 port output. The original Basestation software used to delay information by 5 minutes and this check is done exactly to prevent that.

Please make sure you are running the latest build of the software and confirm "manually" but watching tcp 30003 output that both columns show the same time and date.

Passenger
    Piopawlu, thanks for clearing things out.
    Seems that the time offset was caused by buffered data in queue - Rpi was obviously unable to feed raw ADS-B data over network fast enough.
    Does anyone have an idea how much traffic raw ADS-B data generates? I found 5 GB buffer file full after about hour or two of running RTL_SDR at 1.09 GHz. Obviously my 8 GB SD card was filled very soon

Passenger

Lightbulb New Command Line Argument

Today I switched over from feeding from a Windows 8.1 laptop to a Raspberry Pi running dump1090 and the rpi version of fr24feed. While my box is private, I did note that "ps -ef" reveals my sharing key. Is this key considered secret or is it okay that it can be seen? I was going to suggest that fr24feed have an additional optional command line argument added such as "--keyfile [FILENAME]" so that the key can be read from a protected file and not be visible to the world in ps.
    T-KISP3 feeder covering KFRG and KISP airports on Long Island.

Captain
    Do you give the world access to an unlocked screen on your windows PC?

If you are using the Pi in the way described here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 - then it does a few things that are insecure.

we run the software as root - we could create a user level account and run the software from there (see http://www.debian-administration.org...ding_new_users )
    we have not changed the root password

I admit I haven't bothered much with the security - I see the Pi feeder as a tool to do a specific job not as a multi-function multi-user machine, If I had another task that needs running I would get another Pi (interestingly I have Pi B+ with 4 USB ports on order, delivery tomorrow)

it would probably be better in the first instance that we ensured that the world don't get the access on the Pi they require to run 'ps' in the first place, if they do get that level of access, they can probably read the scripts and the keyfile.

Passenger
    Hello there!
    I'm new here and I am willing to provide data using the flightaware raspberry pi machine: flightfeeder.
    But I am trying to share the data that it provides from the built in dump1090.

When I try to feed it directly from the pi, it keeps flooding the command line with messages like this:

[e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - 15:52:37.855)=56310
    [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - 15:52:37.857)=56310
    [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - 15:52:37.859)=56310

I don't know what I am doing wrongly.
    But it is providing live data to Planeplotter and flightaware.
    I am currently using it to feed data to FlightRadar24, but the best would be if everything runs on the FlightFeeder.

Thank you!

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by luizin View Post
    Hello there!
    I'm new here and I am willing to provide data using the flightaware raspberry pi machine: flightfeeder.
    But I am trying to share the data that it provides from the built in dump1090.

When I try to feed it directly from the pi, it keeps flooding the command line with messages like this:

[e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - 15:52:37.855)=56310
    [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - 15:52:37.857)=56310
    [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - 15:52:37.859)=56310

I don't know what I am doing wrongly.
    But it is providing live data to Planeplotter and flightaware.
    I am currently using it to feed data to FlightRadar24, but the best would be if everything runs on the FlightFeeder.

Thank you!
    that is rather interesting, flightaware (who have no low level coverage in this area) told me they do not support linux, so I'm curious how an RPi can be feeding them, or is this a very recent change? (URL?)

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ressy View Post
    that is rather interesting, flightaware (who have no low level coverage in this area) told me they do not support linux, so I'm curious how an RPi can be feeding them, or is this a very recent change? (URL?)
    They only support linux when you use their machine which is based on RPi (FlightFeeder http://flightaware.com/adsb/flightfeeder/). All the software is ready OOtB. I don't think they will release their RPi-Linux software for use elsewhere.
    The thing is that they allow us to share the obtained data to any other project if you want to. I am using the PlanePlotter to share its data with FR24, but this is annoying. And the FlightFeeder provides data directly in Basestation format, but the FR24 software is not accepting it. That's why I am asking for help here.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by luizin View Post
    They only support linux when you use their machine which is based on RPi (FlightFeeder http://flightaware.com/adsb/flightfeeder/). All the software is ready OOtB. I don't think they will release their RPi-Linux software for use elsewhere.
    The thing is that they allow us to share the obtained data to any other project if you want to. I am using the PlanePlotter to share its data with FR24, but this is annoying. And the FlightFeeder provides data directly in Basestation format, but the FR24 software is not accepting it. That's why I am asking for help here.
    So you are tampering with their device, adding FR24 feeder software on their device?
    If you are using a PC to poll their device for data to submit to FR24, it does work? Just not with FR24 software?
    What version of FR24 software are you using?
    At a guess (not knowing their device) perhaps the device resources are exceeded, lagging it. does it show anything else? does it show it's feeding? what is the device time? is NTPd running?

Mine runs on a real linux PC not an RPi since it feeds many places except flughtaware), it was last restarted sunday week ago (installed new kernel)

[i]FR24Feed v242 - built on Apr 23 2014/10:19:07
    [i]Downloading configuration...OK
    [i]Parsing configuration...OK
    [c]Interval: 5s
    [c]Latitude: -27.xxxx
    [c]Longitude: 152.xxxx
    [c]GND: YES
    [c]NonADSB: YES
    [i]Source defined as Basestation
    [b]connecting to localhost:30003
    [b]connected
    [b]working
    [n]defined 1 server
    [n]YBBN30@83.140.21.66:8099/UDP
    [n]connecting
    [i][stats]Stats thread started
    [i]Data feed time difference OK abs(13:10:17.963 - 13:10:17.958)=0
    [n]connected
    [n]switching to UDP
    [n]working
    [i]sent 23 planes in 1 packets

.. all subsequent loggings are sent xx planes and ping messages,

Is that what you see, or do you see other "e" messages?

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ressy View Post
    So you are tampering with their device, adding FR24 feeder software on their device?
    If you are using a PC to poll their device for data to submit to FR24, it does work? Just not with FR24 software?
    What version of FR24 software are you using?
    At a guess (not knowing their device) perhaps the device resources are exceeded, lagging it. does it show anything else? does it show it's feeding? what is the device time? is NTPd running?

Mine runs on a real linux PC not an RPi since it feeds many places except flughtaware), it was last restarted sunday week ago (installed new kernel)

[i]FR24Feed v242 - built on Apr 23 2014/10:19:07
    [i]Downloading configuration...OK
    [i]Parsing configuration...OK
    [c]Interval: 5s
    [c]Latitude: -27.xxxx
    [c]Longitude: 152.xxxx
    [c]GND: YES
    [c]NonADSB: YES
    [i]Source defined as Basestation
    [b]connecting to localhost:30003
    [b]connected
    [b]working
    [n]defined 1 server
    [n]YBBN30@83.140.21.66:8099/UDP
    [n]connecting
    [i][stats]Stats thread started
    [i]Data feed time difference OK abs(13:10:17.963 - 13:10:17.958)=0
    [n]connected
    [n]switching to UDP
    [n]working
    [i]sent 23 planes in 1 packets

.. all subsequent loggings are sent xx planes and ping messages,

Is that what you see, or do you see other "e" messages?
    It doesn't work, even when connecting it from a PC.

It give's a message saying that maybe the basestation version is old and the messages are delayed by 5 minutes (which they aren't). I am guessing that the file format that the flightfeeder dump1090 is different than the expected. (It gives just a single timestamp, while FR24 software is expecting two, one with the current time and another one of the message time). Maybe the only thing to do would be detecting that just one timestamp is present and ignore the difference.

And no, the device resources are a lot more than needed. It's a rev 2 version B Raspberry Pi. It have 512 MB ram, while it uses about 100 MB on normal conditions. And an ARM CPU that the use never got over 10%. And you can log in to a linux bash terminal in it using a keyboard directly connected to the device, it's not tampering with it. :P

NTPd is up and running. And the device time is correct.
    Last edited by luizin; 2014-07-16 at 00:25.