Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux feeder software for Flightradar24 (Old software)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
    You have to make sure the PI is set on timezone UTC. Adjust your time to that and make sure its reports your current time minus time zone difference.
    In my case, when I type in DATE:
    pi@raspberrypi ~ $ date
    Thu Nov 28 09:02:35 UTC 2013

... with my timezone being +2, indeed local time now 11:02
    i just change to UTC, and it's still.

adsb@ADS-B:~/adsbox$ date
    Thu Nov 28 09:16:54 UTC 2013
    adsb@ADS-B:~/adsbox$ sudo ntpdate pool.ntp.org
    28 Nov 09:17:25 ntpdate[3121]: adjust time server 222.165.224.164 offset 0.042131 sec
    adsb@ADS-B:~/adsbox$ ./fr24feed_arm-le_233 --fr24key=b51e336c...
    [i]FR24Feed v233 - built on Jul 9 2013/11:18:23
    [i]Downloading configuration...OK
    [i]Parsing configuration...OK
    [c]Interval: 5s
    [c]Latitude: 0.0000
    [c]Longitude: 0.0000
    [c]GND: YES
    [c]NonADSB: YES
    [i]Source defined as Basestation
    [b]connecting to localhost:30003
    [n]defined 3 servers
    [n]WARR2@83.140.247.21:8099/UDP
    [n]connecting
    [b]connected
    [b]working
    [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=28032
    [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=34403
    [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=33158
    [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=33837
    [n]connected
    [n]switching to UDP
    [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=32172
    [n]working
    [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=33158
    ..skip....
    [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=32542
    [i]Data feed time difference OK abs( - )=0
    [i]sent 3 planes in 1 packets

Comment

• Originally posted by digitizing View Post
      Today i just finish setup my raspberry pi after Sdcard error.
      when running the feeder i'v got error

[e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=32037

after sometimes the error disapear
      [i]Data feed time difference OK abs( - )=0

and start sending
      [i]sent 2 planes in 1 packets

but still i can't see the plane at fr24.com
      I have update time using ntp, and set to my local timezone.
      anyone know about the error? how to fix that ?

T-WARR2
      I wonder if the NTP daemon has managed to set the system time before FR24feed has started?

If you're using the standard cron job (from the thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 ) try increasing the sleep time on the @reboot line in crontab

If you're starting the feeder as a service (config files /etc/init.d/blah etc ) try putting a 'sleep 10' command before where you start fr24feed app).
      Last edited by peterhr; 2013-11-28, 09:39. Reason: typo's

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        I wonder if the NTP daemon has managed to set the system time before FR24feed has started?
        for testing purpose i start all app manually.
        i did ntpdate first before fr24feed.

i just found the "time difference" message come out when receive data from adsbox.
        my app configuration :
        rtl_adsb > adsbox > fr24feed

so i think something wrong with fr24feed parsing data from adsbox.

anyone have fr24feed_arm-le_225 (without 's') ?

Comment

• ... an alternative might be to replace rtl_adsb + adsbox with dump1090 ... this definitely works with FR24feed 233s...

I do wonder if going to the earlier version of the feeder is avoiding the error message rather than fixing the problem.

There is a possibility that version 233 was enhanced to prevent data being uploaded where there was a time difference to increase the quality of the data being presented to the FR24 servers.
          Last edited by peterhr; 2013-11-28, 11:40. Reason: quality of data

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
            ... an alternative might be to replace rtl_adsb + adsbox with dump1090 ... this definitely works with FR24feed 233s...
            i tried use dump1090, but i don't know why dump1090 not have good result like rtl_dasb.
            i start dump1090 with this command
            ./dump1090 --interactive

Comment

• Originally posted by digitizing View Post
              i tried use dump1090, but i don't know why dump1090 not have good result like rtl_dasb.
              i start dump1090 with this command
              ./dump1090 --interactive
              Dump1090 needs more parameters to instruct it to work to replace rtl_adsb + adsbdox with ./dump1090 --interactive, all you will get is a list of aircraft the software can see ... useful to see if the dongle is working and talking to dump1090 but other than that is pretty useless.

... do have a look at the thefirst few posts in the thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24

This thread describes how to set up a Dongle + Raspberry Pi as a receiver listing all the steps taken and why they are done, this was written for people with less Linux experience then you have so you should find it to be really simple to see what changes yo need for your setup.

Setting up a new SD card on the PI - without using the provided image - takes under 2 hours, to adapt what you have presently should take maybe 20 minutes.

If you want to see the results of the config, click the T-EGBB19 in my sig ... it is a link to the dump1090 on my Pi (you are unlikely see my radar on FR24 though, I have too many F- radars round me and they process data faster than the dongle setup - so take precedence on the main site)

Comment

• Dear Collective, please share some thoughts and ideas here.
                Dongle on the Pi, been running fine for how long already. All of a sudden I find DUMP1090 is terminating after about 30-40 seconds as a running process. Just running ./fr24.sh gets it going again, for 30-40 seconds. Repeat.
                I already swopped dongles, same result. checked the USB extender cable, cant find any visible nicks or tears.
                Did a re-install of PeterHR's famous image on another SD card - roughly the same result with Dump1090 falling over.
                Any thoughts or ideas here?

Comment

• Reduce everything to the simplest level, dongle direct into pi, simple antenna, differnt psu do you have another pi you might be using for something else you can swap to test...

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Busy with that process already. new SD card, other antenna, fresh install of OS...

Comment

• Did a complete new/fresh install. Running well so far:
                      SAME: Pi, power supply
                      DIFFERENT: SD Card, RTL dongle, antenna cable, antenna.
                      Will move over to the other set of hardware, and see whats up/hanging/down.
                      Unfortunately, just after midnight over here = NO AC in the skies above me.

Comment

Did a complete new/fresh install. Running well so far:
                        SAME: Pi, power supply
                        DIFFERENT: SD Card, RTL dongle, antenna cable, antenna.
                        Will move over to the other set of hardware, and see whats up/hanging/down.
                        Unfortunately, just after midnight over here = NO AC in the skies above me.
                        Great to see you are 'flying this morning', Herman

Comment

• Although my suspicion was something to do with the software, it came down to...... *drumroll*...... that silly USB extender cable!

Obviously I wont have a spare available at 11pm on a Saturday, so the next best thing was to extend the antenna cable to ground level and bring the dongle indoors. Added about 4m of RG6, thus increasing my cable loss, and shrinking my effective coverage a little. Not too happy about that! Seems I will have to start playing around with amps and filters. Only problem is that in my nick of the woods, the right stuff is simply not available - so it will end up being an import action. Think I must buddy-up with one of you guys over there to source the right stuff for me and just refund you the costs via Paypal Andy/Peter/ABCD *wink*

What I gained: Installed from scratch. Running on the latest that I could find find on RasPi website : Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #538 Jumped from a 4 to 8GB SDcard. Climbed roof in the middle of the night, with a flashlight and even the coppers drove by, very slowly watching the suspicious activity.
                          Last edited by HermanZA; 2013-12-01, 10:47.

Comment

Although my suspicion was something to do with the software, it came down to...... *drumroll*...... that silly USB extender cable!

Obviously I wont have a spare available at 11pm on a Saturday, so the next best thing was to extend the antenna cable to ground level and bring the dongle indoors. Added about 4m of RG6, thus increasing my cable loss, and shrinking my effective coverage a little. Not too happy about that! Seems I will have to start playing around with amps and filters. Only problem is that in my nick of the woods, the right stuff is simply not available - so it will end up being an import action. Think I must buddy-up with one of you guys over there to source the right stuff for me and just refund you the costs via Paypal Andy/Peter/ABCD *wink*

What I gained: Installed from scratch. Running on the latest that I could find find on RasPi website : Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #538 Jumped from a 4 to 8GB SDcard. Climbed roof in the middle of the night, with a flashlight and even the coppers drove by, very slowly watching the suspicious activity.
                            My powered USB extender never worked with the dongle.

Do these these people have a local outlet? http://www.comx-computers.co.za/comp...?products=7619 or one of the others that sell LMR400

Thinking about all the issues you have with keeping the equipment cool - it may be worth just bringing it all inside.

If you do put LMR400 up, it maybe worth leaving a couple of meters slack to allow antenna changes without needing extenders.
                            Last edited by peterhr; 2013-12-01, 13:03.

Comment

• PeterHR, I can buy direct from Miro, which is a distributor of such products, Com-X is one of their resellers (same as myself).
                              But will LMR400 as feed line and the RG6 antenna work well together? No phase of velocity mismatches?
                              The cooling part: User caused problem. Using the --aggressive parameter adds about 15% CPU usage ;-) With more planes than the current
                              13, it goes up to just under 50% at times

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
                              19164 pi 20 0 14764 5028 920 R 36.6 1.1 64:50.99 dump1090
                              2476 pi 20 0 3884 1244 968 S 2.3 0.3 9:15.87 watch
                              2153 pi 20 0 4676 1412 1028 R 1.0 0.3 8:33.70 top
                              2138 pi 20 0 9804 1724 1044 S 0.3 0.4 2:03.22 sshd
                              2460 pi 20 0 9884 1764 1040 S 0.3 0.4 0:07.39 sshd
                              19165 pi 20 0 10072 768 680 S 0.3 0.2 0:32.40 fr24feed_arm-le

Every 2.0s: /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp Sun Dec 1 14:57:02 2013

temp=29.3'C

Comment

• If you have a coaxial-collinear ... I'd be tempted to make a new one from LMR400 too - no mis-match.

Comment

Working...
                                X