Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a flight number really unique ?

How is the routes database maintained? Updates, corrections and from what primary source?
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

First officer
    to Mike, the admin
    for me that has not a lot to do with calls or flight no.conversion.
    With the hex you get the registration and with the reg you could jump to flight24 and get the correct latest information (mostly). At least for DLH the data seems to be ok.
    I expect that the data is coming from there.
    If it runs not like this please explain.
    thanks.
    Last edited by Charky; 2010-07-26 at 10:45.

Team FR24
    charky, can you give an example of what you mean?

First officer
    Dlh58f d-abiu fr24 muc->ham f24 trf->fra
    dlh93u d-abxy fr24 cgn->ham f24 bio->fra
    DLH09Y D-AIBC FR24 BRU->FRA F24 FRA->LIS

only in the last 5 minutes. F24 is correct.
    Last edited by Charky; 2010-07-26 at 14:20.

First officer
    Hi,
    here another example with more details.
    If you are looking at DLHflight DLH03X it shows you route HAM->FRA.
    If you click at the reg D-AIDA at fr24 you are getting the correct info from F24:
    DLH03X*seen @ 2010-07-27 10:14 CET on route from*MUC*to*BCN
    if you search manuel on F24 for DLH03X you get
    LH4474/DLH4474
    if you search for this (clicking on it and goto) you get the correct route with alternate call DLH03X, but under the map there is shown no flight, because the routine was searching only for the selected flight LH4474/DLH4474.
    The search routine might need to be extended for the alternate call, but there is no way currently to search for DLH03X directly. You need to go through the "old" call.
    For what so ever reason FR24 comes up with the flight LH3. Missing leading zero and the last letter. Therefore it matches to the wrong flight LH3 with correct route of flight LH3.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Charky; 2010-07-27 at 08:51.

First officer
    Hi, thanks.
    Works a lot better now for DLH.
    To keep you busy:
    EZY ? RYR ? no flight numbers if 1 or 2 letters at the end..
    sorry.
    Last edited by Charky; 2010-08-06 at 10:22.

We haven't made any changes in the code last weeks, but as Albin and I wrote previously, more callsigns in database would make fever mismatches.

Passenger
    Charky, following Ryanair flights on FR24 (especially when someone you know is on them) is challenging because Ryanair dont tend to use the flight number for callsigns. Similarly theer is no logic to their in/outbound callsigns either unlike some other operators.
    I googled this and found a really good site where a Ryanair pilot explained the whole system in use and why Ryanair doesn't use it. Check outthis excellentthread for a full explanation from one of teh horses mouths so to speak!

http://www.pprune.org/spectators-bal...all-signs.html

Having said this ,when i was trying to locate my sons flight recently I found radarvirtual's filter facility to be really good at filling the gap which exists in FR24. (Sorry Mike)

First officer
    Mike,
    ok then I take back the thanks. Perhaps I was happy to find a lot of DLH flights with correct routes.

Dublin1
    thanks for this informative link.

But I still wonder why a lot of flights are correct at RV whereas the information is missing or wrong at FR24. I don't think they at RV have hundreds of individuals correcting every day/month the routes. There must be a better solution to help Mike (and others) doing the updates.
    In the case with DLH flights its as I told. The correct information is in the database, but in many cases the incorrect information is picked up. So it seems that the correct lookup works in one direction only.

I can only assume that RV maintains a database with a cross match of "public" flight numbers (tickets and arrivals/departure boards) to callsigns (ModeS/ATC).
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005