Disappearing tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing tail

I have noticed when tracking planes from SE Asia to Western Europe that the tail is displayed all the way until it reaches a point over central Europe, then the tail is cut off to a point over the Ukraine. Also, occasionally the tail shows where a plane has hopped from one point to the next, then several refreshes later, it drops to the last leg. Any clues?

Can you show a screenshot?

Comment

Here's a screen shot from QFA31 and QFA5 showing the two variations. When QFA5 reaches western Europe, the tail prior to Ukraine drops off.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Bilby; 2010-07-22, 05:40.

Comment

There is no coverage before Ukraine, so there is no tail.

Comment

Please see the edited reply with the QFA5 flight tail, showing there is a tail before Ukraine.

Comment

We only save trail data for about 10 or 12 hours. So when data from Kuala Lumpur disappears, the trail from KUL also disappear.

Comment

Can this be extended so even the tail of the longest flight can be seen?

Comment

I never new that an aircraft had a Tail (Tails are attached to body).
                (maybe they are advertizing)

Trails Yes.! ...... ( Not attached to body)
                (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
                1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

Originally posted by Bilby View Post
                  Can this be extended so even the tail of the longest flight can be seen?
                  There are two reasons why we cannot increase that time. One is technical, the database type we are using gets to big. The other is that trails are drawn based on callsign. After 12h the risk of having a duplicate callsign gets higher, which would make strange trails. Both problems could be solved but we are focusing on other more important issues right now.

When we manage to increase the database size, first thing to change, would be to save position every 30 seconds instead of 60 seconds to get a more natural trail.

The trail between KUL and Ukaraine is only a straight line, and may be wrong so it's not worth showing anyway.

Originally posted by delcomp View Post

This is an international forum with user from all over Europe (and the rest of the world). Some of the users are writing in English on a forum for the first time, so it's OK to make errors
                  For me personally writing on this forum is has been very hard many times as English is not my native language and languages generally has been my weak side when I went to school.

Comment

Thats OK Mike.., I had the same trouble with Maths

1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

Evolv5

Maybe this is a just coincidence, but it appears that no flightpath is drawn if the departure airport is not shown on the map.
                      e.g. New Delhi airport. No cross, no trail (for the full length). In my eyes that would be logical, as it (the script) has no reference point on the map to draw from.
                      But you're the programmers, so you tell me
                      You are right, but when planes leave SIN they get picked up pretty quickly from KUL.

Mike

The other is that trails are drawn based on callsign.
                      OK, so that explains why sometimes, just for a few minutes, you can see where aircraft have hopped between airports (see attached). That is pretty cool, but then it disappears after a few refreshes! Not sure why.

delcomp

That is true delcomp, however, if you read the ABOUT tab you will find that flightradar24 refers to them as "tails" not trails. That's why I used it. However, my original question about tails dropping off could take on a whole new meaning if we take your definition
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Bilby; 2010-07-22, 23:11.

Comment

I DO NOT wish to offend Mike (nice guy)., but when I was in the RAF they was
                        always referred to as Trails .,
                        eg. Vapour trails.., Flight Trails....,

Mike..., Once again no offence meant....!!!!!!

David EDLM

Comment

PS.. the true word is Flight Path when referring to an English Dictionary(But Im not the programmer

Comment

Language evolves, so no one is right. But to me they're trails ...contrails.
                            Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

I just must defend myself
                              The about page was not written by me, I always use trail.
                              But I will change the about page tail to trail.

Comment

Working...
                              X