UTC & Local Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTC & Local Time

Apologies if this is the wrong forum and if I've missed this question or topic being discussed before, but I have searched for similar questions being asked and found nothing.

So simply, is it possible to have the ability to change from UTC to LOCAL time in the Top right hand corner of the web page. It would be good to use this in playback mode and easier to find local flights based on local time.

Regards Sean (YPAD3)
    Attached Files

I agree. It is very inconvenient that the time is not local time, especially for playbacks.

Comment

Mike,

It' seems this is not such an issue to others but if you find time in your busy schedule maybe you would consider the functionality in a future update.

Regards Sean.

Comment

I'd like to add my vote for this feature. Of course I can do the conversion myself, but it makes my head hurt.

Apologies for replying to an old thread, but it was the only one I could find on the subject, and I thought it was better than starting a new one.

Comment

I agree. I live in Milan, Italy (UTC+1) but when I look at the JFK area I'd like to be able to read the JFK local time, UTC-5. Will it be possibile?

Comment

Originally posted by salrandazzo View Post
            I agree. I live in Milan, Italy (UTC+1) but when I look at the JFK area I'd like to be able to read the JFK local time, UTC-5. Will it be possibile?
            If you simply need the time, anywhere in the world, I use this;

Check current local time in the world with World Time Map. Find out more about timezones, time change dates, summer time, daylight saving time 2024

there are also many others.

Regards,
            Gregg
            YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Originally posted by fungus View Post
              If you simply need the time, anywhere in the world, I use this;

Check current local time in the world with World Time Map. Find out more about timezones, time change dates, summer time, daylight saving time 2024

there are also many others.

Regards,
              Gregg
              It is not so much about knowing what time it is in another place right now. If you wish to see the traffic as it was 4 hours ago, it would be more convenient to simply subtract 4 hours from your local time instead of having to first find out the time difference between local time and the time used on the site, and then subtract 4 hours from that to get whatever time you need to put into the system. It is just not as user friendly as it could be.

Comment

It's probably due to the fact that all air travel uses UTC for it's ease of use. I live beside a +30 timezone , when a flight is 2 hours long, it becomes T/O 1400 Land 1600 , instead of T/O 10am land 1230pm. If you were doing flight planning, you would think of having to use 2.5 hours of fuel instead of 2. (plus safety margins, of course)

Comment

And the winner is RadBaron.

I was going to type that last night but realised how old the thread was being dragged from death and thought I'd let it lie.

ADSB data contains GPS derived information which is also UTC standard.

As for finding out what was happening 4hrs ago, take off 4hrs off the clock top right? No conversion necessary as it's already constant.
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Frank B View Post
                    It is not so much about knowing what time it is in another place right now. If you wish to see the traffic as it was 4 hours ago, it would be more convenient to simply subtract 4 hours from your local time instead of having to first find out the time difference between local time and the time used on the site, and then subtract 4 hours from that to get whatever time you need to put into the system. It is just not as user friendly as it could be.
                    Frank,
                    with respect, the time being asked for by the guy I responded to was local time and I gave him a website with the means to do so, anywhere in the world. You dont need to know (or account for 'Zulu' time) or even daylight savings time which we have here in Australia and tricks many with confusion with 'GMT' time and the time on the FR24 clock. In Summer, Sydney is 1 hour ahead of Brisbane (but not Melbourne) but for the rest of the year we are all on the same time. We are however all in the same 'timezone' then there's Adelaide and Perth half hour behind and 2 hours behind respectively except when we commence or end daylight savings time at wildly different dates. COMPREHEND? See how much easier it was to simply link him to the world clock?

Oblivian is 100% correct in one respect it should be a simple matter of adding/subtracting time from the Fr24 clock (Zulu or UTC time) but politicians stuff that idea up with all the wild summer/winter time variations within there own state/country which they cant get into sync with one another and which you need to consider at the time.

Heaven help anyone trying to come up with the algorithm to set up local time on the FR24 map, you'd deserve a drink.

Gregg
                    Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-10, 22:14.
                    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Originally posted by RadBaron View Post
                      It's probably due to the fact that all air travel uses UTC for it's ease of use. I live beside a +30 timezone , when a flight is 2 hours long, it becomes T/O 1400 Land 1600 , instead of T/O 10am land 1230pm. If you were doing flight planning, you would think of having to use 2.5 hours of fuel instead of 2. (plus safety margins, of course)
                      I'm glad you're not doing my company's (if I had one) flight planning. The flight is still the same time length irrespective of the 'local' time differences. That's why they use 'Zulu' or UTC time. You can take off in Sydney in summer and land in Brisbane before you left Sydney but you'll still need the same amount of fuel. (the distance hasnt changed). If pilot carries less by your reckoning he could well be ditching prior to hitting Brisbane. He's not going to get there on the smell of an oily rag.

Thanks to YPAD though for a great topic, even if it is an old one.

Regards,
                      Gregg
                      Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-10, 22:21.

Comment

You would be very lucky to have me doing your flight planning

I gave the "outsider's view" of local times vs Zulu times.

CAN CPL 414***

Comment

Originally posted by RadBaron View Post
                          You would be very lucky to have me doing your flight planning

I gave the "outsider's view" of local times vs Zulu times.

CAN CPL 414***
                          Manfred

I was going to let that one go through to the keeper (a cricket analogy for letting the ball go for those not in the know). But we all have an obligation to post on here information that is at least within spitting distance of being accurate. By the way were you shot down or simply run out of fuel?

Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by fungus View Post
                            Frank,
                            with respect, the time being asked for by the guy I responded to was local time and I gave him a website with the means to do so, anywhere in the world. You dont need to know (or account for 'Zulu' time) or even daylight savings time which we have here in Australia and tricks many with confusion with 'GMT' time and the time on the FR24 clock. In Summer, Sydney is 1 hour ahead of Brisbane (but not Melbourne) but for the rest of the year we are all on the same time. We are however all in the same 'timezone' then there's Adelaide and Perth half hour behind and 2 hours behind respectively except when we commence or end daylight savings time at wildly different dates. COMPREHEND? See how much easier it was to simply link him to the world clock?

Oblivian is 100% correct in one respect it should be a simple matter of adding/subtracting time from the Fr24 clock (Zulu or UTC time) but politicians stuff that idea up with all the wild summer/winter time variations within there own state/country which they cant get into sync with one another and which you need to consider at the time.

Heaven help anyone trying to come up with the algorithm to set up local time on the FR24 map, you'd deserve a drink.
                            Are you referring to the problem of establishing what the time difference is in a given zone at a given date? Why not just avoid that and let the users type in the time difference they want to apply? They should know what it is for their zone, or be able to find out fairly easily.

My problem is that I often want to be able to identify a plane that went over at a particular time on a particular day, say, last Wednesday at 6.15am local time. The website you referred to won't tell me what to enter into the playback date/time box, it only tells me what time of day it is now.

I can do the conversions, but if I've got a big list of them to get through, it's a bit tedious. I haven't come across a site that will include the date in the conversion, so I have to make sure I'm not out by 24 hours when the International Dateline has to be taken into account.

Comment

Originally posted by pters View Post
                              Are you referring to the problem of establishing what the time difference is in a given zone at a given date? Why not just avoid that and let the users type in the time difference they want to apply? They should know what it is for their zone, or be able to find out fairly easily.

My problem is that I often want to be able to identify a plane that went over at a particular time on a particular day, say, last Wednesday at 6.15am local time. The website you referred to won't tell me what to enter into the playback date/time box, it only tells me what time of day it is now.

I can do the conversions, but if I've got a big list of them to get through, it's a bit tedious. I haven't come across a site that will include the date in the conversion, so I have to make sure I'm not out by 24 hours when the International Dateline has to be taken into account.
                              I dont know how many times I'm going to need to repeat this, the guy I responded to was ONLY asking to know the time in certain locations around the world. Is it clear now? It can be seen as a bit like the Transition Altitude issue (where altitude changes from flight levels to feet and vice versa). As it isnt uniform around the world it cant be applied uniformly across the FR24 map.

Your solution wouldnt help anyone not knowing the current time in a DIFFERENT location than their own.

Gregg
                              Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-11, 00:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X