best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YSWG View Post
    Been unable to make the antenna but used the current six element CoCo with 1m of coax before the 2.7pF ceramic capacitor. Noticed an increase in messages by 5-7% ....
    You can get much more than 5% improvement, if you make some trial error adjustments as follows:

There are two parameters to be found by trial & error, detailed below.

(1) Value of Capacitor
    Try using lower value of capacitor, say 1.5 pF. If you dont have 1.5 pF, put 2 capacitors of 2.7 pf in series, and it will give you 2.7/2 = 1.35 pF

(2) Distance from antenna at which Capacitor should be inserted.
    Try reducing & increaing the distance of splitter from antenna, 1 cm at a time.

Point of insertion along coax should be:
    n x L + 0.85 x L,

where L = ½ wavelength in air (138 mm) x VF of coax,

and n can be any whole number 0, 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, .... etc, but n being smaller, the results are better.

So if n is selected to be 0, distance should be 0.85 x L, i.e. slightly less than ½ half wavelength.

The factor 0.85 above is rule of thumb, best value to be found by trial & error.

.....but decreased by 40% thanks to rainwater getting into the two-way splitter.
    Oops... wrap the splitter in self bonding/self amalgamating tape, or install inside a weather proof box.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2015-09-04, 00:50.

Comment

• @YSWG

You have mentioned the coax length between antenna & capacitor is 1 meter.

If your coax has VF=0.66
      Length of ½λ piece of coax = VF x 138 mm = 0.66 x 138 mm = 91 mm

Number of ½λ pieces in 1 meter coax = 1000 mm/91mm = 10.989 pieces.

Out of above, take out the 10 complete ½λ pieces (as these do not play any part in impedance matching), and balance fractional part is 0.989 of ½λ, which plays real role in impedance matching. This seems too high, as normally the optimum lies between 0.75 and 0.9 of ½λ. So better cut-off 1 cm piece from this 1 meter to make the effective fractional piece about 0.9 of ½λ, and try. If you see some improvement, cut another 1 cm and try again.
      Last edited by abcd567; 2015-09-04, 05:10.

Comment

• I'll give it a try, though the mast needs to be taken down to do it. :/
        F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

I'll give it a try, though the mast needs to be taken down to do it. :/
          I am lucky that I dont have any mast. Me and my antenna both live at same level, at my arms reach, inside my apartment near a large window, ideal for testing/experimenting.

It is ideal to have your antenna at arms reach without need to lower the mast, climb a ladder, climb the roof etc.

Make a new antenna, and put it in your back yard or in a room, near window. You can then do the trial & error effortlessly. Once you have adjusted the Capacitor & Length of Coax piece to optimum, you can take your antenna up the roof or mast.
          Last edited by abcd567; 2015-09-04, 19:08.

Comment

• Made the change you suggested but it has been a negative. Even adding different capacitors didn't so a how lot. Maybe I shouldn't have touched it, was getting good results.
            dump1090-rpi-acs-24h.pngdump1090-rpi-rate-24h.pngdump1090-rpi-signal-24h.pngdump1090-rpi-local_rate-24h.png
            F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

Made the change you suggested but it has been a negative. Even adding different capacitors didn't so a how lot. Maybe I shouldn't have touched it, was getting good results.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]6429[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6430[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6431[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6432[/ATTACH]
              Remove capacitor and revert back to original direct connection of feeder coax to antenna.

It seems your antenna has already close to 75 ohm impedance. Adding capacitor for impedance matching in this condition will not make any improvement, or may even worsen the performance. The insertion of capacitor is effective for those antennas which have a high impedance / poor SWR.

Example:
              Mr. A had poor vision, he started using corrective glasses. Now he sees good.
              Mr. B had normal vision. He was fascinated by improvement of Mr. A's vision by wearing glasses, so he tried glasses, and his vision worsened.

EDIT
              Did you try diffirent lengths of coax between capacitor & feed point? This length is also important. I tried pieces of coax 0.75, 0.8, 0.85, and 0.9 of ½λ with a capacitor of 2 pF, and found the 0.85 x ½λ (i.e. 0.85x½x275xVF) gave best result for MY Coco (YOUR Coco may require different length than this, but within 0.75x½λ to 0.9x½λ range).

Once I determined optimum length, keeping that length I tried 2.5 pF, 2 pF, 1.5 pF and 1 pF capacitor and found 1.5 pF gives best result for MY Coco. (with YOUR Coco's optimum piece of coax, YOUR Coco may require a different value, but within 3.5 pF to 0.5 pF range).
              Last edited by abcd567; 2015-09-12, 20:32.

Comment

• There are many antennas available which can solve your problem. Now days the microstrip antennas are too efficient. Can you please explain your purpose? I mean for which application you are looking an antenna. Also the methods are there that you can design your own antenna with the help of simple tools.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadlinZax View Post
                  There are many antennas available which can solve your problem. Now days the microstrip antennas are too efficient. Can you please explain your purpose? I mean for which application you are looking an antenna. Also the methods are there that you can design your own antenna with the help of simple tools.
                  ^^ Likely a bot
                  T-KFAR3

Comment

• Originally posted by wxmeddler View Post
                    ^^ Likely a bot

bot? anyone can talk...

Comment

• Originally posted by MadlinZax View Post
                      ....Can you please explain your purpose? I mean for which application you are looking an antenna......
                      This forum is for ADS-B reception at 1090 Mhz, and the purpose is very clear: the antenna is required for a 1090 Mhz receiver.

.....Also the methods are there that you can design your own antenna with the help of simple tools.
                      Great! Can you please list these tools?

Comment

• Originally posted by kucengemok View Post
                        bot? anyone can talk...
                        Just done some background checks. It looks to be one of the paid poster services by the looks.

Posts seem to all be on forums with keywords like antennas and other electronics, and has a signature link to some PCB site with various domain endings added some days after initial posting.

Finding a lot of these recently. Paid people to join and post garbage. I was deleting messages 1 by 1 last night of one to see what he was attempting to do digging up really old threads. Sure enough, after 3 posts edited the signature and homepage fields in the profile to a teeshirt printing place in china.

Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• OFF THE TOPIC, BUT JUST FOR A CHANGE......
                          Captured by Jeroen Stroes. © Jeroen Stroes / pinkfroot
                          picture made from the helicopter. flying at 1000ft between the runways of KLAX

Comment

• Blimey thats a nifty bit of parking !

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                              Blimey thats a nifty bit of parking !
                              If you see carefully, the aircraft is flying above the parking lot, approaching runway.
                              It is an optical illusion, created due to photo taken from a considerable distance from a helicopter, using powerful tele-lense camera

KLAX Ruway & Parking.jpg

Comment

• bugs_doing_a_facepalm___remake_by_super_marcos_96-d7b5rh9.png Humour ?

Comment

Working...
                                X