Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got it, thank you.

Comment

• My "Super" coco, the experiment continues...
      from 202nm to 295nm with wideband amplifier and 1090 MHz filter
      Coco + LNA+Filter.jpg
      Coax (75 Ohm 707CRT2) go in the chimney...
      Coco schouw.jpg
      the result:
      Coco special 1...jpg

total height of 6 meters + 1 meter Antenna (8 x 114 mm)
      20160919_181134.jpg
      Last edited by Ronny Jonckers; 2016-09-21, 08:02.

Comment

• I became a little tired of all this blind probing. It takes too much time to fine tune antennas, cables, filters, stubs etc.
        Weather is also not helping as it rains much and I can't open my roof windows to put up test rigs.

I came upon this article and ordered all that I needed, mainly the noise source, some filters, a metal encased SDR and a directional coupler.
        Waiting starts now but I will jump on some SWR tests the moment all parts arrive.

Edit: definitely becoming a costly hobby...
        Last edited by ccz; 2016-09-20, 22:28.

Comment

• My "Super" PCB, now with wideband amplifier and 1090 MHz filter.
          20160907_144217.jpg
          Same configuration as by the coco, but with 50 Ohm H155 coax, top height 6 meter (top chimney) + 50 cm (pvc tube + PCB Antenna)
          LNA+Filter.jpg
          P9210003.jpg
          The result: from 105nm to 321nm
          Super PCB.jpg
          Last edited by Ronny Jonckers; 2016-09-21, 11:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by ccz View Post
            I became a little tired of all this blind probing. It takes too much time to fine tune antennas, cables, filters, stubs etc.
            Weather is also not helping as it rains much and I can't open my roof windows to put up test rigs.

I came upon this article and ordered all that I needed, mainly the noise source, some filters, a metal encased SDR and a directional coupler.
            Waiting starts now but I will jump on some SWR tests the moment all parts arrive.

Edit: definitely becoming a costly hobby...
            Great!
            Some noise sources heat up too much. I purchased one which became so hot I used to fry eggs on it . Few days after purchase, it burned itself to death
            Someone has installed on his similar noise source, a recycled cooling fan from a discarded video card, and it is still surviving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronny Jonckers View Post
              My "Super" PCB, now with wideband amplifier and 1090 MHz filter.
              .....image snipped.......
              Same configuration as by the coco, but with 50 Ohm H155 coax, top height 6 meter (top chimney) + 50 cm (pvc tube + PCB Antenna)
              Wow, great, congratulations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronny Jonckers View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]8048[/ATTACH]
                Nice, good work!
                Would you mind posting also the lower part of the stats? Just pick a full day on this antenna.
                I am interested in the histogram mostly.

Here is my spider:
                charts.png

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                Great!
                Some noise sources heat up too much. I purchased one which became so hot I used to fry eggs on it . Few days after purchase, it burned itself to death
                Someone has installed on his similar noise source, a recycled cooling fan from a discarded video card, and it is still surviving.
                Thanks for the advice, will look out of excessive heat.
                I ordered 2 different models, both were around 15$. I could make a mini review of them after trying them out.

Comment

• @ccz
                  The lower parts of the stats:
                  Plot and Histogram.JPG
                  When I move the mouse over the histogram, I see
                  46 trackings above 150nm With a maximum of 321nm
                  1x160nm
                  1x166nm
                  1x172nm
                  1x173nm
                  1x174nm
                  1X177nm
                  1x178nm
                  3x179nm
                  1x180nm
                  1X184nm
                  1x186nm
                  5x197nm
                  1x200nm
                  1x202nm
                  3x206nm
                  1x212nm
                  2x213nm
                  2x214nm
                  1x220nm
                  1x226nm
                  1x233nm
                  1x241nm
                  1x251nm
                  1x258nm
                  1x260nm
                  1x264nm
                  1x273nm
                  1x275nm
                  1x283nm
                  1x292nm
                  1x301nm
                  1x302nm
                  1x309nm
                  1x312nm
                  1x315nm
                  1x321nm

Comment

• @volkerjacob:

1) You need to compare your 8+1/4 λ CoCo with a reference antenna at same location and heigt to asses how good/bad your CoCo is.

A 1/4 λ Ground plane antenna is a 'sure and easy to make' antenna, and serves as a good reference/benchmark antenna.

2) What is GFK? Can you please give it's full name?

3) Increasing antenna height improves range/plane count/messages.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                      @volkerjacob:

1) You need to compare your 8+1/4 λ CoCo with a reference antenna at same location and heigt to asses how good/bad your CoCo is.

A 1/4 λ Ground plane antenna is a 'sure and easy to make' antenna, and serves as a good reference/benchmark antenna.

2) What is GFK? Can you please give it's full name?

3) Increasing antenna height improves range/plane count/messages.
                      GFK /sorry german) = GFRP Glas Fiber Reinforced Plastic - at the moment i use a PCV tube ....

at same location with a G-7RGQ i got only around 15000 frames with 100 nm max range. Location is in my garden 1m under roof - new location would be at roof....
                      Best Regards

Volker

Comment

• Hi to all who have posted on this thread, I bumped into flight tracking by accident looking for something completely different.
                        I have taken the time to read every post in this thread, and had to register to see the pictures, there's a lot of dedication from the posters and a wealth of information.
                        I've had my setup on test for a couple of weeks and am using a Raspberry Pi Zero and a mini iPad, like most I started with the standard antenna that came with the dongle, when I looked it had a m3 stub so I used a brass circuit board post and a m3 cap screw to make a 1/4 wave antenna, that showed an improvement. I was set on building a coco but as I progressed further down the thread I went of the idea due to the inconsistency reported, in the end I settled for a jpole, that has given me a further improvement. At the moment I'm working on one of these.

0866680A-7B59-445B-9F17-61525EAD2554_zpsuguoq0o6.jpg
                        I used one for APT a number of years ago and it was definitely the best for that job, but I think at 1090 MHz accuracy will be the big hurdle.

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidH View Post
                          Hi to all who have posted on this thread, I bumped into flight tracking by accident looking for something completely different.
                          I have taken the time to read every post in this thread, and had to register to see the pictures, there's a lot of dedication from the posters and a wealth of information.
                          I've had my setup on test for a couple of weeks and am using a Raspberry Pi Zero and a mini iPad, like most I started with the standard antenna that came with the dongle, when I looked it had a m3 stub so I used a brass circuit board post and a m3 cap screw to make a 1/4 wave antenna, that showed an improvement. I was set on building a coco but as I progressed further down the thread I went of the idea due to the inconsistency reported, in the end I settled for a jpole, that has given me a further improvement. At the moment I'm working on one of these.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8062[/ATTACH]
                          I used one for APT a number of years ago and it was definitely the best for that job, but I think at 1090 MHz accuracy will be the big hurdle.

Dave
                          Dave, it should be possible to build one accurately enough, in the past I have successfully made quadrifilar antennae for GPS reception, however ADSB signals are not circularly polarised so I don't know how successful this would be, please give it a try and post your results.
                          FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

• Originally posted by volkerjacob View Post
                            GFK /sorry german) = GFRP Glas Fiber Reinforced Plastic - at the moment i use a PCV tube ....

at same location with a G-7RGQ i got only around 15000 frames with 100 nm max range. Location is in my garden 1m under roof - new location would be at roof....
                            If you were wondering (since I see you also deleted another message saying you don't like forums due to moderation)

It's because you were quoting someone within 5 posts with @s. Naminly abcd567 trying to get your attention like you would on twitter (or a spam post with contact details for UNLOCKED IPHONE7 etc

Unfortunately the side effect of the auto moderator is it does not notify us of it, and we have to look out for the mention on the post itself. Don't read the thread often = goes unnoticed.
                            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
                              Dave, it should be possible to build one accurately enough, in the past I have successfully made quadrifilar antennae for GPS reception, however ADSB signals are not circularly polarised so I don't know how successful this would be, please give it a try and post your results.
                              I never gave it thought, I have built 3 and I can confirm its not the way to go, planes went down from 80+ to 40, messages went down from 600+ to 500, but all these bits of bent wire have there own personality, I lose aircraft landing at Gatwick around 2500 ft but with the quad I can see them down to 1200 ft. One steep forward two steps back, the only problem is the steps back are bigger then the steps forward, I did try one with the twist taken out so the elements were vertical but that wasn't any good either.

Well not one to be beaten I'm trying a bicone at the moment and early indications are it just has the edge over the jpole.

B5B45D59-595C-4D9F-87FE-12350A9FA717_zpsjuwgdmvt.jpg

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidH View Post
                                I never gave it thought, I have built 3 and I can confirm its not the way to go, planes went down from 80+ to 40, messages went down from 600+ to 500, but all these bits of bent wire have there own personality, I lose aircraft landing at Gatwick around 2500 ft but with the quad I can see them down to 1200 ft. One steep forward two steps back, the only problem is the steps back are bigger then the steps forward, I did try one with the twist taken out so the elements were vertical but that wasn't any good either.

Well not one to be beaten I'm trying a bicone at the moment and early indications are it just has the edge over the jpole.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8067[/ATTACH]

Dave
                                Have you tried a 1/4 wavelength Ground Plane like Spider or Cantenna? These are easy & sure antennas, and serve as good refrence /benchmark for evaluating various antennas you make. Have a look here:

3 EASY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS

Comment

Working...
                                X