Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 2846

Thread: best antenna

To power the amplifier, you will also need:
    (1) DC adaptor 15v dc output
    (2) DC power Inserter.

This place died ? ;-(

Abandoned by all except me & you

Passenger
    Noooo Way ! Although it seems as if with all the good info given by abcd and others on other threads that some members think that the "dark" art of antenna building has been suitably enlightened.

How wrong can you be ?

Its the way of the world, Im afraid... "nothing I build can be half as good as a commercial model, surely ? "
    When actually they often turn out BETTER.... and the art of making things seems to have died a death too :-(

It is not like this. Most have finally settled on an antenna which is good for them either DIY or commercial, and dont need this forum. Many have moved to other forums.

Passenger
    Definitely not dead!
    As you've said, it contains a lot of pertinent information that doesn't raise questions anymore.
    Thank you for your dedication to this subject!

I've been an avid reader for the most part and since the forum has already some history, most of the problems are solved for me.
    Given that one can read and understand and doesn't need everything served on a platter.

To keep on topic, I've put up my setup 2 weeks ago, with the antenna that came with the DVB-T card and today I plunged into making my first antenna. Tried already some wire collinears (without ground plane) and took a trip to a local store to buy a few parts.

Settled on a 25x25cm aluminum plate for ground plane, centered on it 1 double female F type connector with a 68.8mm strip above and the original DVB-T card cable mounted in a male F connector on the underside.
    My reception is now a lot better and went up 10 fold on the number of planes (from 3 to 30) and 5-6 times the distance from 19nm to over 100nm. The antenna is still mounted outside my window, facing north so I only get about 180 degrees of view until I will mount it on the house, with a full sky view.
    I am waiting on some 8dB/1GHz cable and a 20dB amplifyer to be able to have a long run of cable to the roof.
    In the meantime I plan to build a spider and cantenna to test them compared to my current 25cm sqare groundplane.

Cheers!

Which design did you use CCZ ? Looking at a wire with coils next myself...

Passenger
    Sorry, can't post links yet but google adsb sprut and it will take you to that page.
    Then I have also tried the 2 small coils with 5/8 center, ripped from a wifi build, adapted for 1090MHz. Can't find the design anymore but I'm pretty sure both were discussed in this thread.
    Played a little bit with a J pole today, probably still needs tuning since the results were worse than the original DVB-T stick antenna.

Both wires worked ok but spotted only planes above antenna and close ones on the ground (10-15nm). They both seemed very directional to me.

I have just mounted a cantenna and am comparing it to the 25cm flattenna i did before and it seems I gained a few nm, results are almost identical.

Grey background is cantenna, turquise is flattenna. Each circle is 50nm.
    Please disregard the darker center, that's another RPI receiver sitting in a window that I forgot to take out of the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ccz; 2016-07-24 at 22:26.

My experience of wire collinears with stubs (hairpins) and coils:
    I have tried a large number of wire collinears of different designs from internet as well as my own simulations.
    Most design on internet, and also by my own simulation, show high gain, SWR<1.5.
    When I built these and tried, ALL proved far inferior than 1/4 wavelength ground plane (Spider, Cantenna, Platetenna etc etc).
    The designs are faulty, so are simulation software results!