Page 268 of 269 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269 LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 2681

Thread: best antenna

Passenger
    Here's an update. I had my RPis up in the attic in a fireproof steel box. All the power supplies were in there too. It looked nice but I never thought it would withstand the heat up there. Having done some testing and playing around up there I have now put in a 50 Ohm feeder that's 25-feet long, kept a powered 10dB gain LNA and 1090 MHz filter in the attic and have moved the RPi down to my workshop one floor below. There was no discernible difference in performance. I have disconnected T-KCLT19 forever and have now learned enough of the software to build a test system that just has dump1090-mutability on it.

My site now feeds both FR24 and FA. I used the script that abcd567 posted and it has worked well several times. Today T-KCLT3 is now number two in CLT on FR24 and is number 2 in CLT on FA on both counts aircraft seen and positions. I still use my original - the first one I built - 8 element CoCo. I have never built one better. I just got lucky I guess.

Thank you for all your help.
    Untitled.jpg
    T-KCLT3 - Raspberry Pi3 Jessie, 8 element collinear indoor antenna

Passenger
    Hi everyone, im using a rtl sdr and i live about 15miles from the airport, can anyone recommend a good antenna also i live under a busy stretch of flight path. i want to listen to air traffic etc.
    many thanks
    Last edited by sdcserg; 2017-04-07 at 14:29.

Passenger
    Welcome. I have not been doing this for very long either. I have however had quite a bit of experience with antennas and telecommunications in my past professional life.

The short answer to your question is that there is no best antenna in the sense that one size fits all comers. There are however some fairly simple basic rules for antennas and their placement or installation.
    - If you can put your antenna outside.
    - Put your antenna so that as far as possible it has a high and clear view of the entire sky.
    - Keep the cable running between your antenna and receiver under about 30 feet.

The above said, you can now look at the antenna itself. In this very thread there are some simple and some very technical posts on home antenna construction. If you are able and have the time look at posts and Google searches on the construction of Franklin antennas and of coaxial collinear (CoCo) antennas. I use an 8 element CoCO that I made myself following details in this thread. My first one worked really well and all others have performed less well. My Franklin antenna worked OK-ish but not as well as the CoCo. Bear in mind that these are just my own experiences.

If you do not want to build an antenna there are several purchase options.

https://www.amazon.com/1090MHz-ADS-B...+ads-b+antenna

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antenna-ads-...GqN-3NOXaZFQcw

http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html#adsbout

All this, of course depends on how much you wish to spend. I recommend that you Google and read reviews on any antenna you are considering before you buy in order to avoid buyers remorse.

Lastly please look at abcd567's excellent post on making and modifying antennas http://discussions.flightaware.com/post168941.html

ADS-B reception is, on the surface, very simply. The more you get into it, the more you want and the more complicated (in my case fascinating) it becomes.

I hope you enjoy your new hobby as much as I am doing. Please continue to post your experiences as there are many people here who will help you and many others who are also starting and are looking at similar issues to you. Finally, do not be afraid to ask for help. Most of use have fallen down our own potholes and have broken our own fingernails getting out. That's one way we learn.
    T-KCLT3 - Raspberry Pi3 Jessie, 8 element collinear indoor antenna

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by rederikus View Post
    Welcome. I have not been doing this for very long either. I have however had quite a bit of experience with antennas and telecommunications in my past professional life.

The short answer to your question is that there is no best antenna in the sense that one size fits all comers. There are however some fairly simple basic rules for antennas and their placement or installation.
    - If you can put your antenna outside.
    - Put your antenna so that as far as possible it has a high and clear view of the entire sky.
    - Keep the cable running between your antenna and receiver under about 30 feet.

The above said, you can now look at the antenna itself. In this very thread there are some simple and some very technical posts on home antenna construction. If you are able and have the time look at posts and Google searches on the construction of Franklin antennas and of coaxial collinear (CoCo) antennas. I use an 8 element CoCO that I made myself following details in this thread. My first one worked really well and all others have performed less well. My Franklin antenna worked OK-ish but not as well as the CoCo. Bear in mind that these are just my own experiences.

If you do not want to build an antenna there are several purchase options.

All this, of course depends on how much you wish to spend. I recommend that you Google and read reviews on any antenna you are considering before you buy in order to avoid buyers remorse.

Lastly please look at abcd567's excellent post on making and modifying antennas

ADS-B reception is, on the surface, very simply. The more you get into it, the more you want and the more complicated (in my case fascinating) it becomes.

I hope you enjoy your new hobby as much as I am doing. Please continue to post your experiences as there are many people here who will help you and many others who are also starting and are looking at similar issues to you. Finally, do not be afraid to ask for help. Most of use have fallen down our own potholes and have broken our own fingernails getting out. That's one way we learn.
    Hi and thank you very much for the informative reply, yes i can put it outside by my sky dish tha is near the roof, and yes the cable would be very short,
    i can spend around £70 on a antenna.
    im new to this so see how it goes :-)
    thank you.

Passenger
    thanks for that very helpful, will i still be able to tune to air traffic tower etc?

and to add yes antenna will be outside, i live on the top of hill no obstructions.
    Last edited by sdcserg; 2017-04-08 at 14:27.

Quote Originally Posted by sdcserg View Post
    thanks for that very helpful, will i still be able to tune to air traffic tower etc?

and to add yes antenna will be outside, i live on the top of hill no obstructions.
    You will still be able to tune to the tower - but as the antenna is not designed for those frequencies, signals will be much lower... in fact marginal signals wont be heard at all.
    Having said that, I use my 1090 coco and still receive local 2 Metre signals, so give it a go !

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    You will still be able to tune to the tower - but as the antenna is not designed for those frequencies, signals will be much lower... in fact marginal signals wont be heard at all.
    Having said that, I use my 1090 coco and still receive local 2 Metre signals, so give it a go !
    thanks, i do have a good 1090 sorted, and like you say ATC is a no go at the moment so any good recommendations would be much appreciated :-)

Flight attendant
    thanks, i do have a good 1090 sorted, and like you say ATC is a no go at the moment so any good recommendations would be much appreciated :-)
    It's not so easy without knowing where you are, antennas are expensive to ship. US ? UK ?

Google "vhf airband antenna" and I'm sure you will get results.

I can recommend Procom and AC-Marine in Denmark.

/M
    F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESSL4, F-LFMN3
    P-ESGR, P-ESIA, P-ESIB,

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
    It's not so easy without knowing where you are, antennas are expensive to ship. US ? UK ?

Google "vhf airband antenna" and I'm sure you will get results.

I can recommend Procom and AC-Marine in Denmark.

/M
    hi thanks for the reply im in the uk

Flight attendant
    hi thanks for the reply im in the uk
    Something like this should be useful. (But I have no personal experience with this particular antenna.)

http://www.moonraker.eu/scanning-and...eiving-antenna

/M
    F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESSL4, F-LFMN3
    P-ESGR, P-ESIA, P-ESIB,