Page 251 of 281 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253261 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 2804

Thread: best antenna

First officer
    i have seen somewhere possibly flight aware forum where someone put the cantenna inside a 2L fizzy drink bottle.

cut it half put your wire through the cap end then gaffer take it back together. would certainly do for testing.
    T-EGLF8

@cannondale:
    Did you consider Spider? It is sturdier than cantenna.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post
    i have seen somewhere possibly flight aware forum where someone put the cantenna inside a 2L fizzy drink bottle.

cut it half put your wire through the cap end then gaffer take it back together. would certainly do for testing.
    Please see these four posts:

This forum, page 145, post #1444 - Cantenna inside a plastic jar/wide mouth bottle

This forum, page 150, post #1495 u Cantenna inside a drink bottle

Flightaware forum - cantenna in dvd case

Planefinder forum - Cantenna in a dvd case
    Last edited by abcd567; 2016-01-07 at 19:13.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post

Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    @cannondale:
    Did you consider Spider? It is sturdier than cantenna.

Yes, but (according to different websites) J-Pole has more gain than the Spider antenna.

A case-protected Cantenna or Spider will result in a bigger device, not wind-friendly like the CoCo or Jpole inside a slim 20mm tube:

Captura de pantalla 2016-01-07 a las 16.08.08.png
    Best ADS-B Antena resume here

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondale View Post
    Hi you all,

Can anybody do an abstract or summary with the best antennas?

Reading all the 250 pages (and 2500 posts) of this thread is a hard job...Thanks to abcd567 and other users for their contributions

Cheers.
    http://x264.nl/dump/2012/ads-b-anten...ane-proper.jpg works best here.
    This GP gets about 20nmi more than the FR24 antenna.
    FR24: 210-230nmi
    GP: 230-250nmi
    Tested on the FR24 receiver and Airspy

Purser
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    REALLY? how high it is?

Flight attendant
    Are you sure that is correct, I use an FR24 Antenna with their receiver and in some directions easily break the 300nmi distance...! I appreciate that I am 176m [AMSL] but compared to the Cantenna's and Colinears I have made and tested, they don't get anywhere near those kind of distances.
    If life is a stage, most of us are unrehearsed...!

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonLee View Post
    Are you sure that is correct, I use an FR24 Antenna with their receiver and in some directions easily break the 300nmi distance...! I appreciate that I am 176m [AMSL] but compared to the Cantenna's and Colinears I have made and tested, they don't get anywhere near those kind of distances.
    With these cheap and handmade antennas you need a bit of luck too.
    It seems my GP is the perfect length on the vertical and radial. This is 100% luck, as i just cut it on about 6.54 cm if i can recall next to the measure lint.

Next antenna to test will be:
    http://shop.jetvision.de/epages/6480...oducts%2F68200 "Active Diapason" Antenna (1090 MHz)

Will keep ya all posted.

This post was deleted as it is now a separate thread (click the link below):

A 3/4 λ Collinear Groundplane Antenna
    Last edited by abcd567; 2016-02-11 at 03:32.

With these cheap and handmade antennas you need a bit of luck too.
    It seems my GP is the perfect length on the vertical and radial. This is 100% luck, as i just cut it on about 6.54 cm if i can recall next to the measure lint.
    All the collinear antennas are easy to make but very hard to get right in DIY enviroment. Example of such collinears are coaxial collinear (coco), wire collinear (whip with coils), franklin collinear (dipole with stubs).

The reason the collinears are hard to get right is that these are highly intolerent to dimmensional errors cased by poor design and/or poor construction. A few mm error can push these antenna from "excellent" to "poor" category. These need test equipment to trim & tune to get them work properly, but most DIY antenna makers lack these instruments.

On the other hand a 1/4 wavelength GP (groundplane) antenna is not only naturally tuned, but has a high dimensional tolerance, and is not knocked out by few mm error in dimensions. It therefore works good even without tuning with the help of test equipment.

Here is a tip for GP antenna makers: enlarge the horizontal part of groundplane to dia = 1/4 wavelength

The GP antenna is usually built using a N-connector or SO239-connector. The 1 inch x 1 inch (25 mm x 25 mm) flange of these connectors is part of the groundplane of the antenna. If this horizontal part of groundplane is enlarged to have a dia nearly equal to 1/4 wavelength, while keeping the radials 1/4 wavelength from the outer edge of horizontal part, the performance of GP improves.

I have experienced this magical effect when I tried Canrennas with can diameters 20mm, 54mm, 68mm & 100mm. The best result was obtained whith the can dia 68mm i.e. the dia of bottom of can was 68mm, almost 1/4 wavelength.

Some other users have tried horizontal flange enlarged to 2.5 inches (63 mm, nearly 1/4 wavelength), and have reported enhanced performance. Photo of these GP are given below.

Cantenna with different can dia / bottom dia

Example of 2 GPs with groundplane enlarged to 2.5 inch dia (nearly 1/4 wavelength).

TomW's GP with 2.5 inch / 63 mm dia disc. Click here

blueskyspotter's GP - Click here

F1Rocket's/gnuse's GP - Click here
    Last edited by abcd567; 2016-02-11 at 03:50.