Page 267 of 267 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 2670

Thread: best antenna

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    There is really little need for building (or buying) antennae with "gain"
    Aircraft fly in essentially a hemisphere over your head...
    Actually they don't fly in anything like a hemisphere, I can detect aircraft out to 300+nm in all directions other than straight up! I suspect that if they flew at that height the ISS would be considered a collision risk��
    Antenna don't require much gain straight up as the distance to an aircraft overhead is much less than one on the horizon, that is where you need the gain.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PlanePlotter M7.

Flight attendant
    There is really little need for building (or buying) antennae with "gain" Aircraft fly in essentially a hemisphere over your head... so a 1/4 ground plane is the best for overall coverage IMHO - antennae with "gain" dont actually have ANY gain whatsoever...
    Completely untrue, all of it.

The definition of antenna gain is passive re-distribution of radiation pattern. Every dB that can be won from a direction where you don't need it, is added link margin for detection of weak signals, or overcoming feeder loss.

A 5dBi antenna is often optimal. It will outperform your 2dBi GP every time, and still have enough gain straight up not to lose a/c above your head.

Gain is not amplification, but it's most definitely real, and beneficial.

/M
    F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESSL4, F-ESNK4, F-ESNV2, F-LFMN3
    P-ESGR, P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESNV

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by rederikus View Post
    The antenna is vertical so there is no loss of signal anywhere in the hemisphere. There is an effect wheregenerally the more elements you introduce, the larger your hemisphere becomes at somewhat the expense of nearer signals. Thus an antenna of this type can pick up signals from further away than a simple ground plane antenna with just one receiving element. This is expressed as dBi (decibels relative to isotropic radiator). An isotropic radiator is (I think) considered here as a point source and I assume carries a value of 1. The multiple element signals are additive and, naturally since bigger numbers are easier to sell the marketing people tend toward using dB instead of dBi as a "gain" figure.
    It's not at the expense of nearer signals, it's compressing of the radiation that would otherwise go upwards and downwards. The more elements you add (if done optimally), the smaller opening angle towards the horizon you will get.

An isotropic antenna is a theoretical point from where radiation goes exactly equal in a sphere. This is referenced as 0dBi.

A 1/4-wave GP has 2dBi gain in it's sweet spot (normally towards horizon and slightly upwards), most of that is "taken" from what would have been the lower half of the spehere.
    A 1/2-wave dipole has 2.15 dBi gain, taken equally from top and bottom of the sphere.

Collinears vary in gain depending on how they are built, but they all just compress the "sphere" further and further into a horizontal "disc".

/M
    F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESSL4, F-ESNK4, F-ESNV2, F-LFMN3
    P-ESGR, P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESNV

It's not at the expense of nearer signals, it's compressing of the radiation that would otherwise go upwards and downwards. The more elements you add (if done optimally), the smaller opening angle towards the horizon you will get.
    Exactly... at the expense of vertical signals !!!! Adding elements magnifies this effect...
    Point taken over the hemisphere - wasn't meant as an English experiment, I only used it as an example - 360 degrees around and some up ! lol

Quote Originally Posted by MrMac View Post

An isotropic antenna is a theoretical point from where radiation goes exactly equal in a sphere. This is referenced as 0dBi.

A 1/4-wave GP has 2dBi gain in it's sweet spot (normally towards horizon and slightly upwards), most of that is "taken" from what would have been the lower half of the spehere.
    A 1/2-wave dipole has 2.15 dBi gain, taken equally from top and bottom of the sphere.

Collinears vary in gain depending on how they are built, but they all just compress the "sphere" further and further into a horizontal "disc".

/M

Exactly... at the expense of vertical signals !!!! Adding elements magnifies this effect...
    Point taken over the hemisphere - wasn't meant as an English experiment, I only used it as an example - 360 degrees around and some up ! lol

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBrian View Post
    Quick 1090 antenna question.
    Why not buy them and test for yourself? They're low cost and ship from the USA.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

That wasn't the question and your answer wasn't very helpful to others.
    I thought it was a helpful suggestion. That's what I'd do for a small outlay of under $20. What they call a no brainer.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

First officer
    Having looked at the postings, I personally wouldn't waste my money, they would probably be no better than the rubbish supplied with the dongle after it has been trimmed to the correct length.
    Save your money and build one of the ground plane antenna that abcd567 promotes all the time, it would save money and perform better.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PlanePlotter M7.

Captain

Thumbs up

Hi F-EGL1,
    Thank you very much for the on point answer.
    Yes abcd567 does great antenna testing. That's why I was asking

Quote Originally Posted by Anmer View Post
    Why not buy them and test for yourself? They're low cost and ship from the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
    Having looked at the postings, I personally wouldn't waste my money, they would probably be no better than the rubbish supplied with the dongle after it has been trimmed to the correct length.
    Save your money and build one of the ground plane antenna that abcd567 promotes all the time, it would save money and perform better.
    Hi F-EGL1,
    Thank you very much for the on point answer.
    Yes abcd567 does great antenna testing. That's why I was asking
    2016-05-22
    Trial Run Results for Three Types of Whip Antennas