best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
    Congrats! Seems like you Canadians are kicking dust (snow) in our eyes with antennas!
    LOL No snow here right now, it's HOT and going to be 28*c today

My FA stats the past week have been record breaking every day............

Fri 2014-06-27 CYYZ

2,861 Aircraft seen
    www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
      LOL No snow here right now, it's HOT and going to be 28*c today

My FA stats the past week have been record breaking every day............

Fri 2014-06-27 CYYZ

2,861 Aircraft seen
      lets see the charts

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        lets see the charts
        Best Flight Tracker: Live Tracking Maps, Flight Status, and Airport Delays for airline flights, private/GA flights, and airports.
        www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Well its been about 2 weeks now of using the Super Antenna I built using LDF1-50 coax. Last Sunday my friend from Nav Canada came over with his VNA antenna tester. My antenna was resonant at +0.03MHz above 1090MHz and was also good at the DME frequencies. He congratulated me and said this antenna was within Nav Canada spec for ADS-B and DME use and he would certify it, if it was actually being used for real ATC.

So this antenna is now being used for FR24.

http://ads-b.ca/antenna-collinear-F-CYYZ2
          Good job 1090mhz! Must be very happy.. and also validates things about DIY collinear antenna here. There might be people wishing to order antennas from you now maybe!

Comment

This week I worked on one of my high sites again to do some maintenance on the 5.8gHz network, so I thought lets do a test for ADS-B reception there. Height above ground was a nice 65meters, so I connected my netbook and dongle and (previously tested) CoCo antenna. FAILURE!
            After some pondering and head-scratching, I realised I'm experiencing the result of being between 3 different cellular operators' antennas and the amount of "noise" they give off. Thus, as previously reported, a dongle without any signal/noise filter is really useless in that noisey environment.

But looking up from below, you have to agree, it would have been a nice height to have a receiver at!
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]4322[/ATTACH]

This coming week, I might install something to test at this site of mine .... just need to figure out what the exact height is here!
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]4323[/ATTACH]
            Wow! how do you feel when you look down to ground from that height? Many persons cant stand this.

Comment

Well its been about 2 weeks now of using the Super Antenna I built using LDF1-50 coax. Last Sunday my friend from Nav Canada came over with his VNA antenna tester. My antenna was resonant at +0.03MHz above 1090MHz and was also good at the DME frequencies. He congratulated me and said this antenna was within Nav Canada spec for ADS-B and DME use and he would certify it, if it was actually being used for real ATC.

So this antenna is now being used for FR24.

http://ads-b.ca/antenna-collinear-F-CYYZ2
              Congratulations! Good work. Hope others will also try to make an antenna based on your design. You can start a business of making & selling ADS-B antennas.
              Last edited by abcd567; 2014-06-29, 03:06.

Comment

Congrats! Seems like you Canadians are kicking dust (snow) in our eyes with antennas!
                LOL! No snow right now in Toronto, but maybe in the northernmost parts of Canada, such as the Ellesmere Island, Nunavut, which is about 800 kilometers/500 miles from the North Pole.

Comment

• Wow! What a fabulous statistics! Congratulations

Comment

• I obey Rule 1 : DO NOT look straight down (until tied off to the structure). The height does not seem to bother me, wind is more of a factor.
                    Today I made the bracket that must clamp onto the mast and give the antenna a stand-off of about 1m. Just wrapping my head around what to use for the receiver system, to get another Pi or maybe use and old'ish computer.

Comment

Today I made the bracket that must clamp onto the mast and give the antenna a stand-off of about 1m.
                      Be sure to take lots of photos and show us the bracket you built..
                      www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Nobody done any antenna work in over a fortnight ???????

Comment

• I should be posting a report, results and photos in the next few days.

Comment

• I'm conducting the comparative test that abcd456 proposed some time ago. Different Coco tip terminations, all of them made with the same cable type, same location, same receiver, etc. I'll prepare a specific webpage to show them all with gathered data.

Just an image to make audience

Prev-coco.jpg
                            Northwest Spain: F-LECO1, F-LEST1

Comment

• Looking forward to your results! Might be making myself another CoCo this weekend, and can just maybe benefit from your tests.

Comment

Looking forward to your results! Might be making myself another CoCo this weekend, and can just maybe benefit from your tests.
                                It will take a bit longer, I'm trying each model over a long time period (a whole week, 168 hours test run) to avoid inconvenient situations: low density traffic, poor propagation, etc.
                                Northwest Spain: F-LECO1, F-LEST1

Comment

Working...
                                X