best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rooster View Post
    Why would you want to ? Just do a screen grab... "prtscn" then PASTE into any graphic package
    Plane routes here change at different times of the day and wind direction. To get a fairly accurate idea of range when I test the performance of a new antenna, I requires to run it for 24 hrs+, preferably several days. Since I do not run my computer 24/7, I need software to save data for each few hours run, and start from there when restarted. adsbScope is perfect for this type of intermittent use as it saves the range data on exit.

Comment

• why not just leave the pc on for a day? looks like what you want isn't possible with vrs :-(

how about doing daily screen grabs, then paste them together as layers in a graphic package.

Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81

Comment

My first screen grab of VRS (3 hrs run):
        Range rings 50kms apart, outermost ring 450kms from receiver
        VRS-receiver range-3hr grab.png
        Last edited by abcd567; 2014-05-15, 18:19.

Comment

• @abcd567 you might want to read http://sonicgoose.com/superimpose-po...-google-earth/

Liviu
          Liviu
          A.net JetPhotos.Net PlaneSpotters.net
          RTL USB/dump1090/FreeBSD + Franklin antenna + PlanePlotter

Comment

• Originally posted by nliviu View Post
            @abcd567 you might want to read http://sonicgoose.com/superimpose-po...-google-earth/

Liviu
            Thanks Liviu for sharing very useful information.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster View Post
              why not just leave the pc on for a day? looks like what you want isn't possible with vrs :-(

how about doing daily screen grabs, then paste them together as layers in a graphic package.

Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81
              My wife does not like our electricity bill & computer/laptop repair bill. After last computer repairs, she issued a Presidential decree that if computer is found running without anybody using it, it will be immediately shutdown. "using" means someone physically sitting in front of computer and playing with mouse/keyboard. Unattended Data feeding & range plotting do no fall under her definition of "using".
              Last edited by abcd567; 2014-05-16, 00:03.

Comment

• Try SBSplotter, it saves the range (if you use auto save, otherwise you have to save it manually).

To view on Google Earth or Maps, follow the instructions to create a kml.

Edit: It helps to read the next page, didn't notice someone also suggested the same blog.
                Last edited by YSWG; 2014-05-15, 22:59.
                F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by YSWG View Post
                  Try SBSplotter, it saves the range (if you use auto save, otherwise you have to save it manually).

To view on Google Earth or Maps, follow the instructions to create a kml.

Edit: It helps to read the next page, didn't notice someone also suggested the same blog.
                  Thanks for advise and useful link. It is perfectly ok if two persons give same information or advise.

Comment

• My 2nd screen grab of VRS (6 hrs run):
                    Range rings 50kms apart, outermost ring 450kms from receiver
                    VRS-receiver range-6hr grab.jpg

Comment

• Hi abcd567, which antenna are you using to produce the range plot above?
                      T-EGUB1

Comment

• Originally posted by trigger View Post
                        Hi abcd567, which antenna are you using to produce the range plot above?
                        My 3rd screen grab of VRS (after 18 hrs run).
                        All receiver range plotting on VRS done using Franklin 4-element antenna with matching stub, shown below.
                        VRS-receiver range-18hr grab.png

Franklin 4-element with matching stub.
                        Franklin 4 element quarter-wave matching stub.png

Later Addition: I am also using an in-Line amplifier (RCA D903, Gain 13-18 dB, Freq Range:950-2050 MHz, Max Output 110dBµV, Power pass DC 14-18V 25-40mA)
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2014-05-18, 14:40.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                          My wife does not like our electricity bill & computer/laptop repair bill. After last computer repairs, she issued a Presidential decree that if computer is found running without anybody using it, it will be immediately shutdown. "using" means someone physically sitting in front of computer and playing with mouse/keyboard. Unattended Data feeding & range plotting do no fall under her definition of "using".
                          Why not get a Mac mini and tuck it out of her sight, then once it is set up you can just remote desktop into it as needed from another machine (PC or Mac), it will run happily without a keyboard or monitor attached.
                          That way she need never know that it is on, they use very little electricity and are happy running 24/7.
                          Also you could point out to her that frequent switching on and off of electronic devices will generally cause them to fail far sooner than leaving them on as the switch-on surge stresses components far more than anything else.
                          Ben.

NB my iMac is set to go into power save after 15 mins, it only gets switched off 2-3 times a year!
                          FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

• Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
                            Why not get a Mac mini and tuck it out of her sight, then once it is set up you can just remote desktop into it as needed from another machine (PC or Mac), it will run happily without a keyboard or monitor attached.
                            That way she need never know that it is on, they use very little electricity and are happy running 24/7.
                            Also you could point out to her that frequent switching on and off of electronic devices will generally cause them to fail far sooner than leaving them on as the switch-on surge stresses components far more than anything else.
                            Ben.

NB my iMac is set to go into power save after 15 mins, it only gets switched off 2-3 times a year!
                            Raspberry Pi is the way to go for this - Costs Less than an Apple anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                              I agree, BUT can you run VRS or SBS plotter on one ???
                              I am using a Raspberry for glider tracking, but expecting one to do all the decoding AND plotting is probably not within its capability (however I would be delighted to be proved wrong!)
                              Second hand Mac minis or re-furbished previous generation units are quite reasonable, just ensure it has a Core-2 Duo or better processor.
                              Ben.
                              FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

• Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
                                Ben.

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                                Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
                                I agree, BUT can you run VRS or SBS plotter on one ???
                                I am using a Raspberry for glider tracking, but expecting one to do all the decoding AND plotting is probably not within its capability (however I would be delighted to be proved wrong!)
                                Second hand Mac minis or re-furbished previous generation units are quite reasonable, just ensure it has a Core-2 Duo or better processor.
                                Ben.
                                Thanks Ben & Peter for your valuable advises. I will look to pros/cons & price comparison for "Mac mini vs. Raspberry Pi" setups and decide which way to go. Opinions about this comparison from experienced forum members are most welcomed.
                                Last edited by abcd567; 2014-05-18, 17:14.

Comment

Working...
                                X