Page 277 of 285 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,770 of 2848

Thread: best antenna

Quote Originally Posted by HAm View Post
    Hi @abcd567! Still testing antennas? I have recently tested an interesting design of my own and need somebody experienced to build a replica and test against already tested solutions. If you are interested, please contact me at oh6my@netikka.fi and ask for pictures of the design.
    -Hans
    Post it up... lets all have a crack at it !

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Post it up... lets all have a crack at it !
    Good idea, everybody interested can retrieve the full information by sending me an e-mail and then we can see how uniform (or different) results builders may get compared to antennas they have tasted at the same locations!

Passenger
    Hello, first time posting. i have been member for many years feeding with my raspberry. now i have 3 locations and i am looking the best antenna for me.

today i was testing the cantenna, i did it with no measuring tool, and using the yellow dongle from flighaware and just get 1 plane =(

then i remember i had the filter also from flightaware and installed it, and in less than 1 second i receive 30 planes, at 200nm+ i feel very happy, and i will install a filter in each of my locations.

i will continue testing what will be the best for me. 200 nautic miles are very good!

Last edited by abcd567; 2019-08-20 at 04:09.

Captain
    Best filtering at a reasonable price in my opinion is provided by the rtl-sdr LNA.

It requires a bias-t though or the receiver needs a bias-t like this:
    https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...of-lna--dongle

But if you already have the FA stick, then getting a FA filter is probably cheaper than changing the whole setup.

Passenger
    well, so far is running great, i cant post image, but i will in a couple of posts.

Aircraft (total): 38 Messages: 143.5/sec
    (with positions): 30

is not the best but it is better than before

Passenger
    also the coaxial cable is like 10 meters lengh i am thinking at least to cut it to 5-6m that will help?

(1 post more)...

I've read about comments to have a better performance if you use a long USB cable and a short with the stick close to the antenna...

Passenger
    I struggled to get any good results from a cantenna and eventually went with an 8 element co-axial cable co linear. More complicated to make but not really that difficult. I eventually added a flightaware filter and a satellite preamplifier.

This is what I get typically now and I doubt if I can improve it further because at my location I have hills to the west.
    Anyway I keep upsetting my wife who feels that at 75 I shouldn't be climbing ladders to the roof!!!

Currently T-EGSY1
    Aircraft (total): 224 Messages: 1451.9/sec
    (with positions):157 History: 9951 positions

Passenger
    wow @Scroggie, that is awesome, i will try it later.

right now i am showing this. T-MMNL1

myantenna.png