Page 270 of 270 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270
Results 2,691 to 2,694 of 2694

Thread: best antenna

Quote Originally Posted by AIR_UK View Post
    I have Scanmaster Airmaster antenna that’s positioned on a pole attached to my house about 10m off the ground. If I’m brave enough :-) I can get ladder to the apex of the roof and could re-position the antenna which would be at least 3m higher. I have not read the entire thread so not sure what the conclusion was. The coverage I have is good but always looking to see what I can do to improve reception. Is there an antenna that I could purchase that would be “significantly” better than my current setup without having to the move the antenna.

Dedicated ADS-B antennas are designed and tuned for 1090 MHz

Both the "Scanmaster Airmaster antenna" and "Diamond D 777 antenna" are designed for AIR BAND (117-140Mhz), almost 1/9 times the frequency of Air Band antennas.

Better go for an antenna designed for ADS-B frequency of 1090 MHz.

I use three different antennas with my 3 receivers
    (1) Flightaware 5 dBi, 26 inch antenna 1090 MHz purchased from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WZL6WPO?tag=fligh01-20
    https://www.modmypi.com/electronics/...nna-66cm--26in

(2) DIY 2 dBi, 1/4 wavelength groundplane antenna with slanting radials (Spider).
    3 EASY ANTTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS: EASY ANTENNA # 1 : SPIDER

(3) DIY 2dBi, 1/4 wavelength horizontal disc groundplane + decoupling sleeve (Cantenna).
    3 EASY ANTTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS: EASY ANTENNA # 2 : CANTENNA

Comparing three, the best performer is Flightaware 26 inch antenna.
    Spider and Cantenna are next and are at par.

Quote Originally Posted by AIR_UK View Post
    Moving the antenna would of course result is using a longer coax cable, so not sure if that would be counter productive.
    Three meters extra coax will not make any significant additional attenuation, and should not be counter productive.

The extra height will far outweigh the cable loss.

Thanks for the replies.
    Just to clarify my question is with regards to antennas related to Airband receivers and was curious as to whether the Diamond D 777 provides a better performance as compared to Scanmaster Airmaster. Not that I have been disappointed with Scanmaster Airmaster as it performs very well indeed, but this is my first airband antenna so not sure how this compares with other antennas. I have now relocated my antenna to the roof of the house, so now in the process to see what the improvement is if any.

It is location of antenna which counts the most. With your airband antenna moved from indoors to roof, you will get big improvement

Any 60 cm piece of wire or whip acts as a good Air Band antenna. Attaching groundplane (radials or disc) to shield of coax will improve further
    Last edited by abcd567; 2017-07-05 at 23:43.