Page 7 of 285 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 2848

Thread: best antenna

  1. #61
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Thessaloniki Greece
    Posts
    6
    Heh! Looks expensive.

  2. #62
    First officer 1090 MHz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    F-CYYZ2
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    I guess it consists of 5 units of MS10910 Beam antenna 1090MHz.

    Each antenna has a beam width of 60 Degree.

    60 x 5 = 300 Degree.

    Will it be really Omnidirectional 360 Degree coverage ?
    Yes you are correct, there will be 14.4 degree blind spots between the antennas. What we really want is a 6 panel array, to get the full unobstructed 360 degree view.

    6 x 6 = 360

    I'd like to build and install something of this nature, atop my tower, as seen here: http://akn-systems.com/tower2/img_3632.htm

  3. #63
    Captain Birdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Changi Airport
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    We just received this antenna to our office and will perform some tests within the next weeks.
    http://www.anteni.net/adsb/#!/~/prod...94&id=15504147
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s97kyc9ul...2011.20.29.jpg
    I have One unit of MS10910 Beam antenna 1090MHz and pointed towards WSSS. I picked up all the planes that are on the ground in WSSS.
    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

  4. #64
    Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Borneo aka Sabah
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by 1090 MHz View Post
    Yes you are correct, there will be 14.4 degree blind spots between the antennas. What we really want is a 6 panel array, to get the full unobstructed 360 degree view.

    6 x 6 = 360

    I'd like to build and install something of this nature, atop my tower, as seen here: http://akn-systems.com/tower2/img_3632.htm
    WOw... what a tower! not something most of us have at all... so many cables! The omni antenna is for ADS-B?

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    I have One unit of MS10910 Beam antenna 1090MHz and pointed towards WSSS. I picked up all the planes that are on the ground in WSSS.
    strange... why can't I see much ground traffic from F-WSSL1? Just asking, if I remember correctly F-WSSS1 shows more ground traffic.

  5. #65
    Captain Birdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Changi Airport
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by North Borneo Radar View Post



    strange... why can't I see much ground traffic from F-WSSL1? Just asking, if I remember correctly F-WSSS1 shows more ground traffic.
    That Beam Antenna is currently dis-connected. What is so good about ground traffic - so boring.

    I am thinking of where to install the beam - to improve coverage of North-West Sector towards Kuala Lumpur or North-East Sector into Vietnam ( there is a void area between F-VVTS1 and F-WSSL1 ).

    But, I guess there is a limit I can try to improve the coverage in the North-East due to the curvature of the earth kicking in.
    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

  6. #66
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dudley area, UK
    Posts
    1,410
    A couple of thoughts here:
    each beam antenna feeds a dongle + a PI (+ one dongle and a Pi for local traffic) ... these all feed to a little 100Mhz 8 port network hub - but this may need seven FR24 feed keys

    The dump1090 program used on the linux systems docs suggest that one dump 1090 program can consolidate output from other dump1090 programs ... would only need one feed key. (but might swamp a single Pi)

  7. #67
    Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Borneo aka Sabah
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    That Beam Antenna is currently dis-connected. What is so good about ground traffic - so boring.

    I am thinking of where to install the beam - to improve coverage of North-West Sector towards Kuala Lumpur or North-East Sector into Vietnam ( there is a void area between F-VVTS1 and F-WSSL1 ).

    But, I guess there is a limit I can try to improve the coverage in the North-East due to the curvature of the earth kicking in.
    It's up to you.

    I personally like ground traffic... in a way one would know whether a plane is on time or not, and it also helps spotters too. Just me.

  8. #68
    Captain abcd567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Toronto CYYZ
    Posts
    2,869
    Most important thing is installation of Antenna clear of obstructions. At 1090 MHz, it is line-of-sight reception. Any antenna will give almost maximum range as long as it is clear of surrounding objects. I am able to get planes as far as 450 km from a very simple and tiny home-made antenna, simply by locating it at such a position that it is clear of obstructions as much as possible. The antenna could receive signals from planes as far as 450 km in the no-obstruction directions.
    See the attache photos. The antenna is a simple dipole, consisting of two vertical arms, 6.8 cm each (i.e. quarter wave length at 1090 MHZ).
    DSC02542C.GIF DSC02543C.GIF

  9. #69
    First officer 1090 MHz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    F-CYYZ2
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
    WOw... what a tower! not something most of us have at all... so many cables! The omni antenna is for ADS-B?
    The Omni is part of a free WiFi project I'm a member of. Above the Omni you can see a square panel antenna and a round dish which are also part of the back-haul network. http://akn-systems.com/tower2/img_3610.htm

    I signed up to be a feeder station under the "Host ADS-B Equipment" for FR24. Not only can I provide a high tower elevation for the antenna, I also have Internet connections from multiple up-links and my site is equipped with a backup diesel generator. I'm hoping my application will be approved.

  10. #70
    Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Borneo aka Sabah
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by 1090 MHz View Post
    The Omni is part of a free WiFi project I'm a member of. Above the Omni you can see a square panel antenna and a round dish which are also part of the back-haul network. http://akn-systems.com/tower2/img_3610.htm

    I signed up to be a feeder station under the "Host ADS-B Equipment" for FR24. Not only can I provide a high tower elevation for the antenna, I also have Internet connections from multiple up-links and my site is equipped with a backup diesel generator. I'm hoping my application will be approved.
    Fingers crossed you get good news about it. Perhaps sending a picture to them showing the tower might help?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •