best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fungus View Post
    I'll stand by my comments ... but it's quite apparent that's not all you were implying. It's apparent you and I have a very different moral compass. I dont know how you can slur a bloke and the producers of pre-fabricated antennas and think that it's ok.
    Dear First Officer Fungus (of the Moral Police), It's not my fault that you didn't pass Ethics-101 by missing the first lesson. In that lesson we learned: "I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.". So there's no need to bring up your moral problems and grumpiness to a technical forum. In addition I can't see how your own OT comments are bringing anything of value to this thread. Dude, chill out! It's just a an antenna!
    ---

Originally posted by Even92LN View Post
    I've been using this 9 EUR magnet foot antenna with the Mode-S Beast for a while now, and I'm really impressed by the performance...So, a good antenna doesn't need to cost that much
    Thank you! That's what I was talking about...

The problem with this thread is that there is no such thing as a "Best Antenna"! What is considered best is very subjective and strongly depends on your expectations you have from your antenna.

Examples:
    1) A person who is living in front of a mountain,, have little use of "omni-directional" antenna if more than half the sky of LOS is missing. For him/her the best choice would be something that has a direction, like a patch-dish.
    2) A person living in an apartment who does not have access to mounting anything on the outside, may be better off with a more compact antenna based on a PCB-strip.
    3) While someone in a house with their own aerial tower, can use a much larger and heavier antenna.
    4) Someone in a car, traveling or using their phone to scan the skies, may want something ultra portable.

The problem with buying an antenna is that the sellers always assume you know what you're doing. They rarely state clearly (at least for a non RF engineer) under what conditions a particular antenna is good for, or any other requirements regarding expected gain and recommended feed-line and mounting.

But if you just wanna play around with Flightradar / ADS-B stuff for a few days to get a few airplanes logged, you can try something like these:

*Ultra simple wine-cork dipole:

*Dangling wire!

* (These probably need a 1:1 75-to-75 Ohm Balun transformer.)

The problem with these are that they rely on the feed-line as being part on the antenna! You will simply not know if they work until you try with your own setup.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by E:V:A View Post
      Dear First Officer Fungus (of the Moral Police), It's not my fault that you didn't pass Ethics-101 by missing the first lesson. In that lesson we learned: "I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.". So there's no need to bring up your moral problems and grumpiness to a technical forum. In addition I can't see how your own OT comments are bringing anything of value to this thread. Dude, chill out! It's just a an antenna!
      ---
      Since you're so keen to demand others produce evidence I'll make it simple. Where's your missing 'evidence' for your two unfounded and unwarranted comments and while you're at it you can clarify exactly what you meant by them since it would seem that you think I and others are a few sandwiches short of a picnic and will simply blindly accept what you write without question;

1) "You seem very anxious to promote THAT exact antenna. I can't understand why, except that you get some kind of commission or something."

2) "Semi-Commercial antennas are often direct rip-offs of amateur designs... "

Or do you just make thoughtless comments on the run and then attempt to bully anyone who picks you up on them? Please enlighten us and take some responsibility for what you've written. So far you've dodged the issue altogether.

BTW, I am chilled mate , I'm just not prepared to tolerate people who have one set of rules for themselves and one for others.

Gregg
      Last edited by fungus; 2013-03-13, 05:29.
      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

There may not be a best antenna, but there is a best looking antenna.
        http://x264.nl/dump/ads-b-antenna-gr...ane-proper.jpg

But seriously, all kidding aside, this GP really works well, today i broke my own record:

Parts used:
        BNC Chasis part.
        Copper electrical wire, each piece 6.54cm long.

Comment

For those who look for the "Russian" antenna that MIKE and all others refer to, you can get the 1.5m called A9-1090 with 8.5db gain and the A10-1090 1.8m with about 10db gain from RADIAL from their Finish subsidiary ik-telekom.com.
          They have made an online shop called duplexers.eu and both antennas are arround 85€ plus the tax and shipping.
          see here:

Comment

Wanna bet my home made GP does better?

Comment

Originally posted by Jarod View Post
              Wanna bet my home made GP does better?
              well if it does then I am happy for you.
              I tried to built one myself based on G7RQG but gave up. my mechanical abilities were too bad

I saw your antenna...looks very DIY. which concept it it? wavelength?
              how do wanna know that your gain is better...could just be a better reception than with your previous not neccessarily a better gain..
              looking at the picture I doubt that it can have 8-10db gain...
              Last edited by eddm_muc; 2013-05-20, 20:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarod View Post
                There may not be a best antenna, but there is a best looking antenna.
                http://x264.nl/dump/ads-b-antenna-gr...ane-proper.jpg

But seriously, all kidding aside, this GP really works well, today i broke my own record:

Parts used:
                BNC Chasis part.
                Copper electrical wire, each piece 6.54cm long.

Aiyo ... please use a HOTTER Soldering Iron.
                F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Are these good antennas ? which one would the best one for long range signal nm to put it outdoor?

1) 433Mhz-5dbi-GSM-Antenna-SMA-Plug
                  2) 1920-2170 MHz 3G antenna SMA plug
                  3) 900-1800-Mhz-GSM-Antenna-5dbi-SMA-male-plug

I found these with low price and I want to make sure which one is the best, and is any of these three better than this one http://www.anteni.net/adsb/#!/~/prod...02&id=18017782 ?
                  Thanks
                  Last edited by 747-8F; 2013-05-21, 11:59.

Comment

Originally posted by 747-8F View Post
                    Are these good antennas ? which one would the best one for long range signal nm to put it outdoor?

I found these with low price and I want to make sure which one is the best, and is any of these three better than this one http://www.anteni.net/adsb/#!/~/prod...02&id=18017782 ?
                    Thanks
                    to be honest...none of them is suitable
                    1+2 totally wrong frequency you need one for 1090mhz.
                    3. frequency range far too wide..so your reception will be very bad

Comment

Thanks
                      If you are looking for an antenna with magnet foot, I would definetly go for the antenna from anteni. This antenna is built for 1090 MHz, which ADS-B is transmitting on. It also has a great range. With this directly connected to the Mode-S Beast MK II, I can see aircrafts more than 230 nautical miles away.
                      ENGM4

Comment

If you are looking for an antenna with magnet foot, I would definetly go for the antenna from anteni. This antenna is built for 1090 MHz, which ADS-B is transmitting on. It also has a great range. With this directly connected to the Mode-S Beast MK II, I can see aircrafts more than 230 nautical miles away.
                        For the moment I have antenna from anteni, but I am looking to find a better one to see more aircrafts more nautical miles away. With my anteni I can see only 100 NM away

Also I want to buy one of those cheap antennas with SMA connector 3 meter cable to use different antenna on it not the same one comes with. For example I have Anteni, but the cable is short or the cable is broke and now I need an antenna magnet with long cable to use my Anteni on it. Is there any difference ? I want to be sure because if I buy it and use that one will be 1920-2170 MHz, if I take off that antenna wire and put Anteni wire on it, will it be same or will change to 1090 Mhz ?

Thanks
                        Last edited by 747-8F; 2013-05-22, 11:08.

Comment

For the moment I have antenna from anteni, but I am looking to find a better one to see more aircrafts more nautical miles away. With my anteni I can see only 100 NM away

Also I want to buy one of those cheap antennas with SMA connector 3 meter cable to use different antenna on it not the same one comes with. For example I have Anteni, but the cable is short or the cable is broke and now I need an antenna magnet with long cable to use my Anteni on it. Is there any difference ? I want to be sure because if I buy it and use that one will be 1920-2170 MHz, if I take off that antenna wire and put Anteni wire on it, will it be same or will change to 1090 Mhz ?

Thanks
                          The lenght of the cable has nothing to do with the antennas frequency range. But the longer cable you have, the more signal loss. What type of ADS-B decoderdo you have? Is the visibility good where you live? The ADS-B signals won't go much longer than the distance you can see. Threes or buildings are enough for the signals to get lost.
                          Last edited by Even92LN; 2013-05-22, 14:54.
                          ENGM4

Comment

The ADS-B signals won't go much longer than the distance you can see. Threes or buildings are enough for the signals to get lost.

Huh ? F-WSSS1 get about 600 km. I am very sure I can't see 600 km with my eyes.
                            F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                              Aiyo ... please use a HOTTER Soldering Iron.
                              Haha yes... i tried with two soldering irons... but came one hand short.
                              I actually put a pan on the gas and soldered the antenna in the pan. With so much copper heat is lost quickly.

Now it still looks bad but it's holding up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                                Huh ? F-WSSS1 get about 600 km. I am very sure I can't see 600 km with my eyes.
                                He is correct. It is not a good idea to rely on much more than "line of sight" when trying to figure out ranges. Line of sight doesn't necessarily mean what your eyes can see.
                                He is also correct with the remarks re trees & buildings etc. Rain also makes a huge difference at these frequencies; see what happens to your satellite TV in a heavy rain storm.
                                A couple of other things that would affect range are aircraft transponder power, aircraft altitude and receiver sensitivity (not to mention antenna gain & feeder losses)
                                I have no idea of receiver sensitivity but I have seen figures of -90dBm at 981 MHz and -71 dBm at 1090 MHz.
                                Using those figures, 600Km is really pushing your luck at 1090 MHz; the theory says the received signal will be about -90dBm.
                                Having said that, experience has shown me that when it comes to propagation, the theory rarely matches the practice!
                                Some years ago, my colleagues and I provided the late King Hussein with a hand held radio (the same sort of thing supplied to police forces etc), operating on 144 MHz and he was able to talk with the people on board Spacelab. He couldn't see it but he could talk to it!

Comment

Working...
                                X