best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by andyk1 View Post
    Wonder if you could open it up to show us how the beast is mounted to there beaglebone setup? Curious what GPS module they used and how they attached it. Any guess what antenna that is? doesn't seem to be long enough to be a Collinear. I am really, really curious how they made there's as save us the aggravation of guessing building our own. What range did you get testing it inside your home if you tried to measure it.

Just by Looking seems the antenna has a type N connector at the antenna end and SMA at the Box end?
    See http://www.modesbeast.com/radarcape-weblog.html - then just add some dangly wires to LED's etc

Mention has been made to a Trimble GPS puck (I think?)

This may be the antenna - would need someone to verify ... http://f5ann.pagesperso-orange.fr/An...MHz/index.html

The whole kit certainly fits in a box with about a 15" side (I suspect the antenna cable coil is the biggest item).

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
      See http://www.modesbeast.com/radarcape-weblog.html - then just add some dangly wires to LED's etc

Mention has been made to a Trimble GPS puck (I think?)

This may be the antenna - would need someone to verify ... http://f5ann.pagesperso-orange.fr/An...MHz/index.html

The whole kit certainly fits in a box with about a 15" side (I suspect the antenna cable coil is the biggest item).

Ya I found what I was looking for in eddm_muc's post at http://radarcape.bplaced.net/wiki/doku.php THANKS a million

I don't think that's the antenna as it seems to slim and taller than needed then. Some sort of monopole whatever it is. Besides the one you listed only says 150nm range average I think.

Yep your right it is the Trimble and also found the software they used and have the windows version of it also to test

Hehe ya it does seem like the antenna coil took up most of the space.
      Last edited by andyk1; 2013-10-10, 12:14.
      Andy T-KTIK1

RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

Comment

• Originally posted by andyk1 View Post

Heheh I'd like to see pictures of you climbing that tower if possible. Should be interesting to see. Am sure you have a harness and safety equipment for that. I attempted to install my antenna on a 300 foot tower half way up and had second thoughts.
        Here is a 300 footer that I climbed...had to repair an antenna @ 275ft. Too bad I couldn't place my FR24 box there!

tower2.jpgTowerClimb.jpg
        ...DOUG
        KD4MOJ
        Where Am I?
        My Live Audio of KTLH

Comment

• What is on that tower? broadcasting or cellular ?

Comment

• Just repeaters... two amateur radio repeaters (V/U), 2 County Sheriff repeaters (UHF) and a local power company (VHF). There was a cell provider there and they relocated and thankfully took their antennas with them. They are a bugger to climb through/around.
            ...DOUG
            KD4MOJ
            Where Am I?
            My Live Audio of KTLH

Comment

• Originally posted by KD4MOJ View Post
              Here is a 300 footer that I climbed...had to repair an antenna @ 275ft. Too bad I couldn't place my FR24 box there!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2753[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2754[/ATTACH]
              I'll be climbing up my 50 foot tower in about 30 minutes from now. F-CYYZ2 antenna will be brought up to 670 feet AMSL when I'm done. I'll take a few photos from up there too so you'll have an idea of the view.
              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                I'll be climbing up my 50 foot tower in about 30 minutes from now. F-CYYZ2 antenna will be brought up to 670 feet AMSL when I'm done. I'll take a few photos from up there too so you'll have an idea of the view.
                Hope all went well! just had a peak at CYYZ don't see you radar code so I presume you are still sorting things out.

if the FR24 box supports PoE then it could be placed close to the antenna. Just need a weatherproof enclosure. Something like the SBS3 Raydome. one day perhaps.
                Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-10-11, 23:32.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                  Hope all went well! just had a peak at CYYZ don't see you radar code so I presume you are still sorting things out.
                  Check now, F-CYYZ2 is NOW officially installed. The Antenna is now on the tower. I can see a huge improvement.. not only that, it seems like every plane in the area, for miles around, is using my station F-CYYZ2. Even planes on the ground at Toronto Pearson International Airport (CYYZ) are favoring F-CYYZ2 so that tells me it's working really well !

See my site for lots of photos of today's installation. http://ADS-B.ca
                  Attached Files
                  www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Check now, F-CYYZ2 is NOW officially installed. The Antenna is now on the tower. ......
                    I checked FR24 website and found that it is showing "F-CYYZ2" as radar for almost every plane in the area, for miles around, and on the ground.
                    CONGRATULATIONS. Keep it up!

Comment

• helllo 1090mhz!

Thanks for the update. yup had a look again and can spot your radarcode back up and groundtraffic at CYYZ showing. Good job and thanks for the hard work. Fine weather too and what a good view of the surroundings at the top! With the improved ranged it will definitely help MLAT too. Very nice to see how you set up the lightning arrestor... hopefully FR24 is happy having you as one of their feeders! cheers!

Comment

Check now, F-CYYZ2 is NOW officially installed. The Antenna is now on the tower. I can see a huge improvement.. not only that, it seems like every plane in the area, for miles around, is using my station F-CYYZ2. Even planes on the ground at Toronto Pearson International Airport (CYYZ) are favoring F-CYYZ2 so that tells me it's working really well !

See my site for lots of photos of today's installation. http://ADS-B.ca
                        Beautifully done installation. congratulations.
                        F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                          I checked FR24 website and found that it is showing "F-CYYZ2" as radar for almost every plane in the area, for miles around, and on the ground.
                          CONGRATULATIONS. Keep it up!
                          I'm also seeing on the flightradar.com website, F-CYYZ2 not just tracking local Toronto area flights, but even some 100's of Km away... like up to Sudbury, Ontario and over to Ann Arbor, Michigan that is close to 400 Km away. Which tells me that the signal must be so good and strong that it's just staying with F-CYYZ2 much longer.
                          www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

helllo 1090mhz!

Thanks for the update. yup had a look again and can spot your radarcode back up and groundtraffic at CYYZ showing. Good job and thanks for the hard work. Fine weather too and what a good view of the surroundings at the top! With the improved ranged it will definitely help MLAT too. Very nice to see how you set up the lightning arrestor... hopefully FR24 is happy having you as one of their feeders! cheers!
                            Yes I'm seeing more MLAT flights around here so I'm sure it's helping that out too. This is the actual GPS antenna on my system: http://www.ads-b.ca/img_9393.htm
                            www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                              Beautifully done installation. congratulations.
                              Thank you Sir !
                              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

if the FR24 box supports PoE then it could be placed close to the antenna. Just need a weatherproof enclosure. Something like the SBS3 Raydome. one day perhaps.
                                The only problem with doing that up here in Canada, is if the radio failed in the winter, you sure don't want to be climbing a tower in a -23*c winter. Also the FR24 radio is most likely is not rated for operation in that low a temperature. The best solution for this environment is to use the best low loss cable like LMR-400, and place the radio as close as possible to where the cable enters the building. This is what I did... the radio is always accessible, and is in a dry and temperature controlled area.
                                www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Working...
                                X