Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNS 5890

Hello,

I am planning to buy a GNS 5890 and broadcast signals from Mumbai, India (VABB).
    I had some queries on how efficient is the GNS 5890 & how to go about getting Planeplotter software for free.
    Can the tiny GNS 5890 work for a long stretch without any trouble
    Thanks

I can't tell you about the GNS as I have no experience with it. As regards planeplotter for free... you can't . I've pasted the registration info below:
    Registration of PlanePlotter

PlanePlotter can be downloaded and used free of charge for 21 days to process and display data from your own receiver. To display other users' data using the Internet sharing feature, or to continue to use the program after 21 days requires payment of the licence fee. Payment can be done swiftly and securely on-line and costs only Euro €25 (plus VAT for EU residents) for personal use. A higher fee applies to professional or commercial use of PlanePlotter. We strongly recommend that you ensure that PlanePlotter performs to your satisfaction before registering.

Register PlanePlotter Now.
    Multilateration in PlanePlotter

Multilateration to locate Mode-S aircraft that are not transmitting ADS-B position reports, is a premium service within PlanePlotter. Only "Master Users" of PlanePlotter can initiate multilateration requests.

Users who are regular raw data providers are automatically Master Users. If you have a suitable receiver and if you have set up your system to provide raw data to the multilateration scheme and your system has been validated and you make it generally available for other users' benefit, then in return for your contributing raw data, you are automatically entitled to Master User status and there is no additional fee for using this feature. Note that providing raw data is not the same as the routine Internet sharing of aircraft data between users and very occasional or intermittent provision of raw data does not qualify. Only regular raw data providers have automatic Master User status.

If you are a PlanePlotter licence holder but you cannot contribute raw data regularly, you can request temporary Master User status for an experimental period of 21 days using the link below. If you request the 21 day trial, you are not committed to paying any fee unless you want to continue to use it after the end of 21 days. After that, you may choose to pay a small annual fee of Euro 12.00 (plus VAT in EU countries) to continue as a Master User. To request your 21 day free trial, please follow the link below.

Request free 21 day Master User trial or extend Master User status.
    Click here for more information on Multilateration in PlanePlotter.
    Dan.

Compare all plane tracking receivers on one website.

Comment

Works pretty well here.

I have had mine for about a week I guess. Have it mounted at the antenna with about 6 inches of coax, silicone sealed everything real well since it's out in the weather, and got a 35 foot (~11 meters?) active USB2 extension cable. I'm located in the Orlando area (a bit to the North of the city), and have gotten up to 170 messages per second, coverage out to both Florida coasts. It does have a rather non-standard antenna connector, bur fortunately I had a six inch long cable with the correct connector for the 5890 on one end and a TNC female on the other. A type-N male (my homebrew 5 element collinear is terminated in an N-male) will connect into a TNC female, it doesn't have a positive lock, friction only, but it is still a constant-impedance connection and I have it fixed so it can't come apart. And sealed from weather. If you want to use a 5890 at a fixed location, you need a good antenna up in the air a good bit, and if you run the receiver inside the house you probably should have a good low-noise preamp AT THE ANTENNA and very high quality low-loss coax cable for feedline. At 1 GHz, feedline loss is a REAL showstopper.

Comment

Help

Originally posted by klm.india View Post
        Hello,

I am planning to buy a GNS 5890 and broadcast signals from Mumbai, India (VABB).
        I had some queries on how efficient is the GNS 5890 & how to go about getting Planeplotter software for free.
        Can the tiny GNS 5890 work for a long stretch without any trouble
        Thanks
        Hi,

I started to feed from VOMM using radarbox for last couple of days
        and the results have been decent. Still working on antenna to push up
        the range to 200nm.

Just wondering whether current feed from mumbai is from your site?
        If so why the coverage is limited to ground only?
        If you need some assistance let me know.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mvr.maa View Post
          Hi,

I started to feed from VOMM using radarbox for last couple of days
          and the results have been decent. Still working on antenna to push up
          the range to 200nm.

Just wondering whether current feed from mumbai is from your site?
          If so why the coverage is limited to ground only?
          If you need some assistance let me know.

Thanks
          Hi,

Nice to see another Radar in India, your coverage is very good.

I think VABB must be very close to the airport but only using a small antenna or their Set-Up is not to good, a shame really as it would be nice to see more aircraft in that area.
          AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Working...
          X