Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up and running - KGVL (North of Atlanta)

Thumbs up Up and running - KGVL (North of Atlanta)

I now have a new SBS-3 box sitting here in my office. I'm located near Gainesville, GA - north of ATL. The antenna ia currently located on the windowsill, but I see aircraft over 100nm away to the south and east. Very cool. If somebody in the area reads this and enjoy climbing roofs, you are most welcome to pass by and have a beer after installing my 'big' antenna. I can't do heights...

I do notice that some of the blue lights on the box flicker from time and the aircraft disappear from the screen. Is this normal, is it a weak antenna or is there something wrong? The installation was quite smooth, but struck me as somewhat 'old fashioned'. Getting too spoiled with all the plug and play stuff, I guess ...

But it's great to be 'live'! And an old friend, former Braathens LN-BRB decided to pay a visit to celebrate the grand opening!

Kinetics had messed up the order some, so I was missing a couple of adapters. Finally I have all the parts, and by replacing the table antenna with the BS1105 in the window, I can now see planes around 165nm to the southeast. I now cover all of Georgia (except the extreme south) and a big chunk of South Carolina. I expect this to improve when I get it up on the roof.

I'd also like to commend US distributor ACS Wireless for their excellent customer service. They were extremely helpful with identifying and providing the missing parts.

And Olav is in your neigbourhood
    installing more US radars ( 4)
    maybe you get to meet him ??

Ulf

I'm not sure that Atlanta and Detroit is neighborhood

No, this is a damn big country... Where are the new boxes?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5l41rx

4 boxes will be delivered in London, Toronto, Cleveland, Chicago in the next 3-4 days.

I just see a NET1-radar has been added in SC .. looks like he has limited range, though. But then we have 'the missing link' between KRDU and KGVL/KATL. Good news!

I'm glad to see coverage here in the South really has improved. Several new transmitters in GA and SC gives excellent coverage of Boeing testflights, among others.

I finally got my roof antenna up. My eldest came home to visit and he took the challenge. It turned out to be worse than I thought, but he got it done. :up:

Also getting pretty good coverage now .. been seeing planes almost down to the coast (around 200nm) .. (I'm by the red dot)

Excellent, thanks for sharing.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005