No announcement yet.

Buy: ADS-B receiver with ethernet connection for Aircraft Scatter experiments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy: ADS-B receiver with ethernet connection for Aircraft Scatter experiments

Edit: Got a mode-S Beast ADS-B receiver so I m not buying it any more!

Link: Aircraft Scatter discussion continued on thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4900#post14900

Hi,

Anyone know a moderate priced max 250 euros mode-S receiver second hand or new or kit ready for online connection? I am living on the east rim of the range of the flightradar25 and would like to reach it a bit farther.

I use the flightradar24 site to check aircraft positions my Aircraft Scatter (AS) ham radio experiments to turn my receiving antennas to direction of the aircraft. It is a bit like meteor scatter (MS) except for listening to waves reflected from airplanes instead of from ionized trails of meteors. With some experience, each individual aircraft scatter trace can be identified by its doppler shift on the spectrogram screen.

A bare mode-S receiver would be fine for me if it can be switched to LAN/internet. Need no antennas or power supply or air band monitor etc. and I manage soldering work myself.

Edit Jan 27:

250-5057_IMG Dittel FSG50 front panel (c) OH7HJ.jpg

TRADE FOR: Dittel FSG50 transceiver

Also willing to give my Dittel FSG50 aircraft transceiver in change for ethernet ready ADS-B rx. This aircraft transceiver has to my knowledge been used on ground only. It served as a fixed emergency duty comms until updated with new model. After that I have used it for monitoring air channels in my ham shack. Now needless for me because got a battery of scanners for air band.

The Dittel FSG50 transceiver comes with a slide-in instrument panel mounting rack with mounting dimensions abt 60 x 80 x 200 mm. Aerial connector is a BNC with coaxial pigtail extension. Although rather old model it has little signs of use. Its power consumption is low and it works a good time even with a small battery.

Measured transmitter output is abt 5 watts at 13 V. Frequency range is 118.000 - 134.975 MHz at 25 kHz steps. Front panel controls are freq set and LCD display, volume and off-on-squelch switch. Receiver sensitivity is as good as any of my scanners or ham rigs. Wiring diagram comes as a PDF document. Ready for use with connectors but microphone or aerial not included. Please ask for detail photos.

- Juha OH7HJ -

Finland
    E-mail OH7HJ@hotmail.com

Link to a thread about my Aircraft Scatter VHF experiments with screenshots: http://oh7ab.fi/foorumi/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=295

A video about aircraft scatter bypass distinctive sound heard from radio receiver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANYf2kcTwME

Aircraft Scatter discussion continued on thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4900#post14900

Screenshots from my AS doppler tracking experiments attached as an example.

2012-01-21 49750-02 Aircraft Scatter Comic Strip - Unknown close plane doppler visible on spectr.jpg2012-01-21 49750-04 Aircraft Scatter Comic Strip - Expecting plane to come within flightradar24 .jpg2012-01-21 49750-05 Aircraft Scatter Comic Strip - Plane emerges on flightradar24 as Boeing 777 .jpg
    Last edited by OH7HJ; 2012-02-22, 11:16. Reason: Adding screenshots and FSG-50 txrx.

Did you see this?:

Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
      Thank you - I already bid for it on ebay until the price escaped high. The internet add-on module would further add 100 + e more to SBS price If I remember correct..?

Comment

That SBS-1eR includes ethernet, as does an SBS-1e. Only the SBS-1 needed an after-market ethernet module. The others include it as standard.

There may be some SBS-1e and SBS-1eR available for a good price as people upgrade to an SBS-3.

Join Radarspotting.com and post a message there that you're looking for a used SBS-1e or SBS-1eR.

Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Thanks for info and link, Mike! It is a good idea to post a message to the radarspotting site, too!

I have never seen SBS except one of its pre-production prototypes so my current knowledge of it is from its website only. The website suggests that the SBS-1 models would need a separate "ETHERNET ADD-ON" unit to connect to internet:

Originally posted by http://www.kinetic-avionics.com/sbs-1.php

The SBS-1eR is a portable low-cost Mode-S/ADS-B Receiving Station WITH a built-in VHF airband radio receiver, designed for training and the aviation enthusiast. It is supplied complete with two antennas and the Basestation Virtual Radar software. The SBS-1eR allows you to track and listen to ADS-B aircraft on your own radar style screen and identifies and displays Mode-S equipped aircraft.

Connect to laptop/desktop PC via USB or Ethernet
          Includes Airband / FM radio with RDS
          Audio output via 3.55mm stereo jack or stream over USB / Ethernet
          Receive ACARS using the audio port
          (requires separate ACARS decoder available as Freeware)

For the first time aircraft enthusiasts worldwide are able to directly monitor the skies in an unprecedented fashion.

ETHERNET ADD-ON
          The Kinetic Ethernet Add-on for the SBS-1 is a unique self-fit module that fits snugly inside the SBS-1 mk1 & mk2.
          Please visit the eStore to purchase

What will the module allow me to do?

With the additional module it enables the user to connect via USB (standard) or Ethernet.

[/url]
          Also the one for sale on ebay is mentioned to have only USB connection to computer. Maybe there are models with different connection fitouts?

Regards,

- Juha -

Comment

Please believe me that the SBS-1e and SBS-1eR have an Ethernet port as standard.

This is an image of the SBS-1eR ports. The SBS-1e is the same except it doesn't have the Radio Antenna SMA connection.

The Ethernet port is in the middle.

1.JPG
            Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Hello i am F5VHZ i have noticed some aircraft scatter in the past but apart from the rapid flutter of signal strenght i have not tried any axperiments in long range communication using this method. what frequencies give optimum results and what frequency do you use for calling cq if you do so? regards colin

Comment

Aircraft Scatter for Tx Direction Finding Without Rotatable Aerial

Originally posted by minilandrover View Post
                Hello i am F5VHZ i have noticed some aircraft scatter in the past but apart from the rapid flutter of signal strength i have not tried any axperiments in long range communication using this method. what frequencies give optimum results and what frequency do you use for calling cq if you do so? regards colin
                Thank you for asking, Colin!

The Aircraft Scatter is an interesting and still very unknown topic to public so I started a new thread for it.

Here it is with answers to your questions:

Aircraft Scatter Experiments, http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4900#post14900

Best Regards,

- Juha -
                Last edited by OH7HJ; 2012-02-22, 11:18.

Comment

Working...
                X