Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: South African Airports

Passenger
    Saturday 24th. I see Cape Town coverage was back for a few hours on Saturday morning after afew months off air. It started with 2 aircraft sitting on top of 2 different mountains around the plain and then a few flights in and out ...and then back to nothing!!! Any commements from the operator (only) about coverage resuming

First officer
    Hi,
    my answer might be a bit rude, but coverage will resume if the technical problems are solved.
    If you cannot wait feel free to setup your own box there.

Marl, Germany 1Km NNW of EDLM-( T-EDLM1 [F_EDLE1] )
    AS we say in the English Chat.

No Recievers,. No Planes.

The more recievers the better,. join the club.

all are very welcome

Passenger

Thanks Chardy

Thanks Charky for your reply.
    I was not trying to be rude I was only asking for an answer from the "horses mouth" ie the operator. Not from Norway!
    I appreciate the problem. Yes I have a SBS3 on order from the UK and I am awaiting getting it hand carried to SA. Don't trust the bastards here.
    At the moment I am in Simons Town which is not ideal but hope to be moving to Lakeside in the new year which is ideal when I will get it up and running and online(if I am
    clever enough)
    If you want to contact me to give any advice or info on your problem please email me on hannah.hannah.smith@gmail.com (non de plume)

Hope you get it working soon. Happy Xmas and New Year

Regards H

Passenger
    Can someone tell me what the "DUB14U, DUB15 etc" that have appeared scattered on the hill tops around Cape Town. If they are aircraft they must bloody good pilots landing on 10ft runways!!! No they are not helicopters..I was on one of the hilltops this morning and not even a large eagle (or small)

First officer
    @Biggles
    that are beacons, switch to sat and zoom in, then you see the towers. (these as well as cars on the ground will be suppressed in the future for security reasons as on some other airports)
    @Sherlock
    thanks, but the problem is more or less clear. Its the Vodaphone software which doesnt startup correctly from time to time. Be careful using the SBS3 in SA. It contains an airband receiver. you might run in trouble.
    Last edited by Charky; 2011-12-26 at 10:48.

Passenger

Sbs3

Thanks for the advice and I understand the basics of the advice...the same applies in the UK where it is a grey area. I have been using an icom/PC into my PC for 10 years here in SA. Perhaps I am lucky but..........
    If they are going to trace an airband reciever surely the chances of tracing a SBS (whatever edition) are the same as they both only recieve (I think).
    Anyway just an observation I will bear in mind..Thanks

Passenger
    Thanks Karl for the reply.
    Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; 2011-12-27 at 03:40.

Passenger
    Hi
    Is there any chance the Cape Town reciever will be back online in the near future. It has now been AWOL for at least a month
    Last edited by Biggles; 2012-02-18 at 08:01.

First officer
    yes, the 1 (or 2) receiver(s) there will be online in the near future again.