Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abu Dhabi Amiri Flight

I don't have a wife, so I am fairly lucky in that respect. My Discone is down the garden between trees, so no one can see it and as I live 15 miles West of Birmingham, I have great coverage in all directions using the pre-amp at +10db. I can clearly hear the Pilots descending either into Belfast, Heathrow, Gatwick, Edinburgh, Glasgow but just lose them at FL800 near Perth going to Aberdeen.
    However, I can only hear the pilots. I cannot hear the Tower Controllers due to curvature of the Earth but I can hear some sector controllers as their comms bounce off repeaters near to me.

As for this atc.net, I haven't heard of that one. Sounds interesting and must give it a listen. Thanks for the heads-up.

I do notice one thing on FR24. There are so many EasyJets and RyanAir flights. Shame you cannot deselect them, as I'm not really into LCC's (Low Cost Carriers).

Flight attendant
    yeah your right, looking at fr24 the the skys are taken up with easyjet/ryanair everwhere over europe amazing that you get coverage on your scanner that far north i thought my old set up was good but nothing compered to that but saying that i get controller end on 2 or 3 scottish freqs high level 133.875 picks up outbounds from amsterdam so i can follow klm flights on the climb out say 250 heading into abz ,and with live atc.net i can hear taxi/dept out of amsterdam anyway work tommorow need some shut eye all the best retro ....

It's not a bad setup and I am impressed on the coverage I get too. I also have an Icom Handheld which I take to Manchester Apt on the odd occasion I go. I might go there next week if the weather is fine, just so I can photograph a Virgin Atlantic A343.

Just been looking a atc.net and I notice all the live coverages are in Airport ICAO code. However, there isn't many for the UK, such as Heathrow or Manchester, even though there are requests for them.

Still, interesting enough what is on there - Thanks for that retro.

I'm outta here - goodnight