Thread: AP IMPACT: Automation in the air dulls pilot skill

AP IMPACT: Automation in the air dulls pilot skill

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Are airline pilots forgetting how to fly? As planes become ever more reliant on automation to navigate crowded skies, safety officials worry there will be more deadly accidents traced to pilots who have lost their hands-on instincts in the air.
    Hundreds of people have died over the past five years in "loss of control" accidents in which planes stalled during flight or got into unusual positions that pilots could not correct. In some cases, pilots made the wrong split-second decisions, with catastrophic results - for example, steering the plane's nose skyward into a stall instead of down to regain stable flight.

more................

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Are airline pilots forgetting how to fly?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44324527.../#.Tlzcel0yQ4I

"Mmm" interesting, but what has also got to be taken into consideration is the Boredom factor and tiredness a lot quicker than when the brain is active constantly.
    Take a car driving, along a motorway for many miles where the concentration of the driver becomes in a lot of cases stagnant and that is when drivers fall asleep at the wheel. Well it is not a lot different in an aircraft, if the flight crew, after take off and levelling, then switch to a system which does everything else for them, they will be sat in their seats simply observing what the system is doing, without being actually involved and boredom will set in. It is human nature.

Bill.

Russia to halve training time for airline pilots

The Russian aviation authorities are considering halving the training time for the country's airline pilots in a bid to head off a looming shortage of aircrew in civil aviation, Izvestia newspaper reported on Tuesday.
    Russia's Transport Ministry thinks the current course structure, which is a leftover from the Soviet era, is too academically based and too long. The ministry wants to introduce a western-style Multicrew Pilot's License (MPL) course, in line with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) guidelines, Izvestia says, quoting ministry sources.
    The new style course would take just 18 months to complete, and would qualify a pilot for flight on a particular type of aircraft. The first such course will begin in September of this year, Transport Minister Igor Levitin said.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20110830/166298756.html

Well from the reports that I read on Russias flight safety, it leaves a lot to be desired.
    I would certainly think twice before flying internally in Russia and definatley before flying on a Russian made aircraft. I do not know the actual figures of accidents and incidents concerning airplanes in Russia, no doubt if I done a bit more research I could find out, but they are well above most places in the world and nearly all Russian built planes.
    I think a more stringent and accurate training programme needs to be undertaken for those aircrews before anything else is considered.

Bill

World's top 10 safest airlines named

While European and American airlines rarely feature in the top 10 rankings for best customer service, airlines from these regions have dominated a new list of the world's safest carriers.
    A report by the Air Transport Rating Agency (ATRA) found that the safest carriers in the world were mainly those based in Europe and the United States.
    No Australian or New Zealand airlines featured in the top 10.
    Air France-KLM, British Airways and Lufthansa are the safest airlines in Europe.

more.....................

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/553946...airlines-named

It would be very interesting, to get an overall assesment of airline safety, concerning actual accidents and incidents from EVERY registered Airline worldwide.
    This part of our hobby, has been my "special" interest for a good number of years, so I am very interested in this thread.
    Sadly accidents do happen in all walks of life, but when they include an aircraft in flight that is more serious than any other type of accident.
    Incidents are also very interesting, Incidents are not Accidents, an Incident can cause an accident, but they are very interesting to readabout and look into.
    The overall safety of air travel, is good, but one region in particular that gives cause for concern, as I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, is Russia, where the accident / incident figures are very high.

Bill

Hi Bill
    You can make your own litlle research
    by using search option in the Avherald

http://www.avherald.com/h?list=&opt=0

put rusia in search and you have a prel, resultat

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post10454

Quote Originally Posted by BillW View Post
    Well from the reports that I read on Russias flight safety, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Bill
    I think you have to get your focus over to India and China
    where the traffic is formely exploding in numbers

Just an Idea / Regards Ulf

A, as I think very wize comment
    from Simon at AVherarld;

my short comment: never believe a statistics you haven't faked yourself.

IOW: you can render any country's aviation the unsafest in the world if you
    just choose the correct criteria and rules for your statistics. Apart from
    the fact that any of these statistics would work from extremely incomplete
    data.

Servus, Simon

QUOTE END

Good morning Ulf,
    Yes mate, that is an interesting point, because Asia in general also features in many reports and is well worth reading up on.
    I realise that Accidents and Incidents are not everyones "cup of tea" to get interested in, but it is a very worthwhile project, well I think so anyway.

Bill