Helicopter flights to oil platforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter flights to oil platforms

Bristow Helicopters use a Eurocopter super puma for their crew changeover flights (most busy on Mondays & Fridays).
    Flight BHL45D is showing leaving Aberdeen (ABZ) but I have never seen similar flights from Great Yarmouth to the offshore platforms in the southern North Sea.

Any thoughts as to a reason why?

Although there is no airport at Gt. Yarmouth, Bristows have their own mini-airport. Also, FR24 is showing other flights over the region (East Anglia).

Originally posted by ferret View Post
    Although there is no airport at Gt. Yarmouth, Bristows have their own mini-airport. Also, FR24 is showing other flights over the region (East Anglia).
    Are these "other" flights at a similar height to those operated by Bristow?

My guess is there's no ModeS receiver in that location to pick up any ADS-B equipped helicopters (there may be none) and feeding Flightradar24.

The line of sight for a low altitude aircraft will be quite short range. I can see aircraft 250nm away when they're at FL390 and above but not at 2,000 feet.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Anmer - the "other" flights I mentioned were airliner flights crossing the North Sea to & from the UK and therefor at a much higher altitude.

Perhaps the aircraft from Gt. Yarmouth does not reach the same height as the flights from Aberdeen - the oil platforms are a lot closer to shore I think.

In addition, Norway should have its equivalent flights to their oilfields.

Comment

It all depends on the helicopters being ADS-B transponder equipped and there being a local ModeS receiver to receive the data and for that receiver to be feeding Flightradar24.
        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
          I can see aircraft 250nm away when they're at FL390
          bloody hell you got supervision??

haha

Comment

I was talking about ModeS receivers.
            Mike

www.radarspotting.com