Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: API access

Passenger

API access

Hi all,

Just found this site and I'm very impressed! Is the flight data used on the site from a public API of some kind as this would be a great feature to use for rich internet apps.

Any info on this would be great as the possiblities for working with this data would be very interesting.

cheers!

Hi, the flight data is comes from ADS-B receivers around the world. You can read more about how it works on http://www.flightradar24.com/about.php
    We do not offer any API access to this data.

Passenger
    OK, thanks for the info.

Bit of a shame that the data is just limited to your google map - as I'm sure many other sites / companies would pay for the access to the live data to display in their own setup / visuals (maybe a live flight iphone app for example). Anyways still a great use of data on your site, weirdly captivating to watch!

cheers

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by tomw View Post
    OK, thanks for the info.

Bit of a shame that the data is just limited to your google map - as I'm sure many other sites / companies would pay for the access to the live data to display in their own setup / visuals (maybe a live flight iphone app for example). Anyways still a great use of data on your site, weirdly captivating to watch!

cheers
    There are some sites that have the same map as Flightradar24 are hosting on their page. For example the airport in Vilnius, Lithuania and Kramfors, Sweden have this kind of map.

There are also plans for an iPod/iPhone App but I don't know how far this plans have come.

Passenger
    thanks for the links, after checking them out i'm guessing that its just the same flightradar24 map in an iframe or something (says that the site provide this as a service).

The idea that I was thinking of would be live source of the data without the map so it could be manipulated into a different system (like a 3d version of the flight locations over a given area, as altitude is provided as well as geo-location).

Tracing out the site calls it looks like the live data is fed in via xml call (http://www.flightradar24.com/_xml/plane_data3.php), would this be something that could be used by a third party (as its doesn't require any secure authorisation). Let me know if using this would be over the line i'm not looking to step on any toes if I was to use this .

Thanks again to all for the responses.

Passenger
    I agree about the usefulness of such an API. I am involved in research into flight efficiency/safety aspects and work with many aerospace companies. Could it be that live data (or even large sets of logged data) could be made available on a private basis?

Best regards
    Neil

Passenger
    Hi,
    So, impossible to use your data?
    Thanks

A large amount of the data displayed in FR24 is uploaded free of charge from those of us who have invested time and a not inconsiderable amount of money in our ModeS receivers.

I'm sure many would not take too kindly to seeing their data used elsewhere, without permission, possibly for the commercial benefit of others.

AirNav Systems "collects" data from its customers, without permission, and sells it back as a shared network. This angers many AirNav customers who then find ways to stop uploading data to the AirNav server.

FR24 survives on the goodwill of fellow aviation enthusiasts who may withdraw their data if they thought it was being used elsewhere. Just my personal opinion.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

There are several users sharing with FR24 who expressed a wish that their data is not used outside FR24. For others it's OK. Right now we cannot divide the data into free to use and not free. Maybe we can arrange that in the future.

Marl, Germany 1Km NNW of EDLM-( T-EDLM1 [F_EDLE1] )

Totally Agree.!

Quote Originally Posted by Anmer View Post
    A large amount of the data displayed in FR24 is uploaded free of charge from those of us who have invested time and a not inconsiderable amount of money in our ModeS receivers.

I'm sure many would not take too kindly to seeing their data used elsewhere, without permission, possibly for the commercial benefit of others.

AirNav Systems "collects" data from its customers, without permission, and sells it back as a shared network. This angers many AirNav customers who then find ways to stop uploading data to the AirNav server.

FR24 survives on the goodwill of fellow aviation enthusiasts who may withdraw their data if they thought it was being used elsewhere. Just my personal opinion.
    With your last paragraph.,I would go so far as to say.:

FR24 survives on the goodwill of fellow aviation enthusiasts who would withdraw their data if they thought it was being used elsewhere. Just our personal opinion