New Embraer 190 comes with ADS-B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Embraer 190 comes with ADS-B

It seems like the latest deliveries of E190 from Brazil comes with ADS-B transponders.
    In april I noticed 2 Lufthansa Cityline E190 over Las Palmas on delivery from Brazil to Lufthansa.

Both was visible on FR24. One week later when the planes started to fly for Lufthansa ADS-B was switched off.
    Last week FlyNiki received 2 new E190 from Brazil, and those 2 are now visible on FR24.

Let's hope that all new Embraer planes will come with ADS-B in the future. It would also be interesting
    to know why Lufthansa has switched off ADS-B.

Could it have been that the FMS/ADS-B system in use on these delivery flights of D-AECD and D-AECE were installed as ferry kits on pallets in the cargo bay, just for the long haul portion of the flight over the South Atlantic? With these aircraft now in inter-European operation, basic airways and VOR will allow them to find their way! (I don't believe any FlyBE Embraer aircraft are installed with ADS-B).

Comment

My point being that this type of equipment on such regional jets is a customer option. I suggested that these two airframes could have been fitted with ADS-B equipment, installed on a temporary 'pallet' just for the extremely long ferry-flight sector across the Atlantic Ocean from Brazil to Europe. Being on a pallet means the kit is readily removed upon arrival. The airframes in subsequent LH usage would be flying airways routes only once in service, not requiring complex offshore navigation capabilities away from ground-based aids, such as VOR beacons.

Comment

The transponder is a small box (size of a book) in cockpit with an antenna outside. So it's not carried on pallets in the cargo
        The difference with/without ADS-B is just like a car radio with or without RDS-radio.

ADS-B transponders from Garmin:

Comment

Originally posted by Evolv5
          Are there any known disadvantages of having ADS-B activated?
          You are visible on FR24?

Comment

The other day I saw 2 LH Embraer visible around Munich Airport. I was surprised to see Embraer Jets broadcasting through ADS-B. Let's see whether those 2 will appear again at some point. If not, the only conclusion would be that they switched off ADS-B, which wouldn't make any sense to me.

Comment

Not to labour this point - yes a transponder capable of feeding an ADS-B signal together with its Mode-S squitter is small and would probably now be a basic panel option for all newly delivered aircraft, in this instance perhap the 2 LH EMB-190s that started this thread. My point in referring to the palleted cargo bay installation was that this would be the GPS/Flight Management System temporarily installed and hooked up to the transponder panel for the purposes of their long haul delivery flights from Brazil to Europe. Presuming that LH did not specify installation of an operational ADS-B package, due to their planned local use of these airframes, the pallet would then be removed and returned to Embraer for further such delivery flights across open oceans, lacking ground based nav aids.

Comment

Yesterday I saw an Embraer 195 from Augsburg Airways, D-AEMC.
                The airplane was flying for Lufthansa and had it's transponder on.

Here is a little screenshot
                Attached Files
                The only one who never makes mistakes is the one who never does anything - Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X