minimum computer spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minimum computer spec

although having only a passing interest in this field , I live half the year in one of your black holes ..southern france , bottom of the massif central

if it is possible to set up cheaply I would be willing to provide a feed whilst I am in residence , and it looks as though self builds from kits are on the way

however , the only computer I have available to dedicate to this would be my old compaq P600 ...would this do the job ?

What is the processor spec and RAM?

It depends what receiver you plan to use and what software will be running.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

well , P600 means pentium 600 if that helps
      and it has the max RAM fitted ,1Gig

Comment

I stopped making assumptions years ago.

It will depend on what you end up using and the associated software.

Basestation can use a lot of resource if it's run with maximum options whereas PlanePlotter as a basic feed for FlightRadar24 using a PlaneGadget receiver should use little resource.
        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

tks for that , will have a look at plane gadget /plane plotter specs

Comment

It depends of which radar you intend to run. AirNav have a very heavy application so you can forget about Airnav. I think Basestation will work on P600, but you will have to check with Kinetic Aviation.
            The upload software for FR24 works on any computer. It's a very small and light software.

Comment

I am using PlaneGadget and Planeplotter on a very powerful desktop computer and I would like to move it to a dedicated and cheap PC to be able to run it 24/7.

Will a Pentium III with 500 Mhz processor and 128 megabytes of ram do the trick? Im planning to get some cheap laptop to run it. Will this be sufficient? What would be the absolute minimum configuration for my planegadget and planeplotter to work good?

Comment

At the risk of being accused of spamming, here's an extract from the Radarspotters' ModeS Receiver Checklist.

Although the RAM isn't stated, one might assume 512MB could be an average requirement.

My Basestation is running at the moment with a network share and is using under 256MB RAM.

Running PP isn't too heavy on resource. Maybe check with RadarGadgets? They may have an update to the spec they gave me before the receiver was released.
                Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

well , a P3 500 will run w2k quite satisfactorily , but XP is a touch resource hungry for it ; 128 ram will almost certainly not be enough , but the majority of these laptops will take 64 + a 256 bar at a minimum [ 144pSODIMM 100MHz ] , and that should do the trick , might cost you an extra $15 on ebay !
                  I started this thread because I have an old compaq armada P600 and am thinking about using that in the same way as you , so post any info you get please !

Comment

Interesting. Well, I'd like to hear from user experience the minimal configuration but it seems hard to find people who actually tried it, and the guys from PP aren't very keen on sharing that kind of information, I have no idea why! In some time I will get a certain Sony VAIO old laptop (unknown configuration) so I will definitely post any opinion or even If i buy some cheap laptop. If you do something in meantime, just write!

Comment

I think it's hard to say an exact config. It depends on windows version, setup, drivers, active tasks, number of airplanes in coverage, and so on. I would not try to run on less than 512 MB.

Comment

I got this answer from COAA, that it runs perfecly on this machine:

Manufacturer ASUS
                        Model name Eee PC 4G Surf
                        CPU type Celeron-M
                        CPU speed 633 Mhz
                        Graphics Intel GMA 900
                        OS Linux
                        Display Size
                        7" 800 X 480
                        RAM 512 MB
                        Flash 3.9 GB
                        Keyboard YES
                        Mouse Pointer YES
                        Battery capacity 31 (Wh)
                        Weight 920gm / 32.5 oz.
                        Size (w/h/d mm) 225/165/35 mm
                        Size (w/h/d inches) 8.9/6.5/1.4

Comment

had an answer from the plane gadget people , it seems that although it isn't listed w2k has been tested and works ok [ as it is an NT derivative like XP , no reason it shouldn't ]and they reckon the sort of computer we are talking about would do ; they also see no reason why planeplotter should not be fine as well , confirming comments here

I checked my old compaq and , despite what I thought it will take 64 fixed plus 2 x 256 bars which should be fine
                          Last edited by lebesset; 2010-05-26, 16:16.

Comment

Great stuff, please keep us updated on the income of using Windows F. for legacy PCs and your compaq laptop.

Comment

legacy PC's ; whatever will they think of next !

Comment

Working...
                              X