SP-XBOA
    CDUS - GYRO
    AutoGyro Calidus
    MSN C00521
    Owner private
    2018-08-23

Passenger

Missing (Partial) Flight Details

I've recently been tracking the flight history of a few aircraft. I don't understand why for some long flights you can track a flight in real time and see its location but when you later download the KML file for the same flight you only get part of the flight.

A good example is yesterday's (11 June) Qantas QF10 flight from Heathrow to Perth, which was of interest to me as I knew someone travelling on it. I could follow it all the way from Heathrow to just beyond Dubai. Then, as expected, it went out of range of any of your receivers. Eventually it came back in range for the last hour of the flight in to Perth. So in real-time I could have tracked everything that I expected.

However today I have downloaded the KML file for the same flight and it only shows the track for the last hour of the flight in to Perth. This is also true if I replay the flight on your website. See www dot flightradar24 dot com/data/aircraft/vh-znf#20dc4d18

The aircraft in question, VH-ZNF, has flown Heathrow to Perth 52 times now and there is only data on the full flight for 31 of these trips. There is one flight where the data is just for Heathrow to mid-Indian Ocean. For the remaining 20 flights the data is for just the last part in to Perth. This issue affects other aircraft on the same route.

Note that for some of the flights where the full data is available it is in 2 KML files, which I've downloaded and manually combined. Only 1 of these files is on the history page for the aircraft. To see both you need the history page for the flight number, and where one of the flights has "unknown" details. An example, from 21 March, can be seen at www dot flightradar24 dot com/data/flights/qf10#1fe0cf8d and www dot flightradar24 dot com/data/flights/qf10#1fe3074f

Have you really "lost" this flight track data? Strangely I've not seen the same issue for flight QF9 in the opposite direction. Is there a problem with really long flights that spend many hours out of receiver range? Could it be linked to flight QF10 having a second [Perth to Melbourne] sector?

Another flight I regularly see issues with is Air New Zealand NZ26 from Auckland to Chicago. When looking at the flight history for an aircraft - e.g. www dot flightradar24 dot com/data/aircraft/zk-nzq - this flight is often missing. However the return flight as NZ27 is present. If you look at the page for flight NZ26 - www dot flightradar24 dot com/data/flights/nz26 - it does list the flight but against the wrong aircraft, and indeed the wrong aircraft type. It suggest the flight was made by an ATR 72-600, an aircraft with around 15% of the range required to do this flight! I think your database maybe mixing up flights NZ5026 (Napier to Auckland) and NZ26 (Auckland to Chicago)?

Similar to the Qantas issue above flight NZ26 can be tracked in real time, subject to obvious gaps across the Pacific, but the flight history sometimes has nothing available, other than some taxiing around the departure airport.

Sorry I've had to mangle the URLs - while a long term subscriber to this site I haven't posted on the forum enough for URLs to be allowed.

I hope you can resolve these mysteries!

Regards,

Ian

Flight attendant
    49D415
    OK-MEL
    A319
    Airbus A319-100
    Czech airlines
    CSA
    2007-00-00

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian near LHR View Post
    I've recently been tracking the flight history of a few aircraft. I don't understand why for some long flights you can track a flight in real time and see its location but when you later download the KML file for the same flight you only get part of the flight.

A good example is yesterday's (11 June) Qantas QF10 flight from Heathrow to Perth, which was of interest to me as I knew someone travelling on it. I could follow it all the way from Heathrow to just beyond Dubai. Then, as expected, it went out of range of any of your receivers. Eventually it came back in range for the last hour of the flight in to Perth. So in real-time I could have tracked everything that I expected.

However today I have downloaded the KML file for the same flight and it only shows the track for the last hour of the flight in to Perth. This is also true if I replay the flight on your website. See www dot flightradar24 dot com/data/aircraft/vh-znf#20dc4d18

The aircraft in question, VH-ZNF, has flown Heathrow to Perth 52 times now and there is only data on the full flight for 31 of these trips. There is one flight where the data is just for Heathrow to mid-Indian Ocean. For the remaining 20 flights the data is for just the last part in to Perth. This issue affects other aircraft on the same route.

Note that for some of the flights where the full data is available it is in 2 KML files, which I've downloaded and manually combined. Only 1 of these files is on the history page for the aircraft. To see both you need the history page for the flight number, and where one of the flights has "unknown" details. An example, from 21 March, can be seen at www dot flightradar24 dot com/data/flights/qf10#1fe0cf8d and www dot flightradar24 dot com/data/flights/qf10#1fe3074f

Have you really "lost" this flight track data? Strangely I've not seen the same issue for flight QF9 in the opposite direction. Is there a problem with really long flights that spend many hours out of receiver range? Could it be linked to flight QF10 having a second [Perth to Melbourne] sector?

Another flight I regularly see issues with is Air New Zealand NZ26 from Auckland to Chicago. When looking at the flight history for an aircraft - e.g. www dot flightradar24 dot com/data/aircraft/zk-nzq - this flight is often missing. However the return flight as NZ27 is present. If you look at the page for flight NZ26 - www dot flightradar24 dot com/data/flights/nz26 - it does list the flight but against the wrong aircraft, and indeed the wrong aircraft type. It suggest the flight was made by an ATR 72-600, an aircraft with around 15% of the range required to do this flight! I think your database maybe mixing up flights NZ5026 (Napier to Auckland) and NZ26 (Auckland to Chicago)?

Similar to the Qantas issue above flight NZ26 can be tracked in real time, subject to obvious gaps across the Pacific, but the flight history sometimes has nothing available, other than some taxiing around the departure airport.

Sorry I've had to mangle the URLs - while a long term subscriber to this site I haven't posted on the forum enough for URLs to be allowed.

Regards,

Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian near LHR View Post

Regards,

Ian
    Ian the QF9/10 flights are probably because of the daily flight PER-MEL vv sector so the system gets confused. The Indian, Middle East and European flight planning system won't see the conflict because the PER-MEL sectors obviously won't be filed in those and the Australian system will have the correct timings filed for there not be a conflict when the LHR leg arrives/departs. FR won't be able to disntinguish between them so ends up with 2 lots of data each day from opposite ends of the world under each flight number and can't piece it together so you only get the little bit arriving in PER. One of this site's many flaws I'm afraid.

I've done some manual sleuthing and found the track log for your daughter's flight, at least as far as the Arabian Sea, which is the point it disappears from tracking as it's over the ocean all the way to PER from that point (usually go between Maldives and Souther tip of India if the winds are sensible).

https://www.flightradar24.com/2019-0...QFA10/20d9e71c

Passenger

Post #registration number error#

#registration number error#
    Shanghai Airlines, Flight number: FM9136, Date: 9 June, 2019; From-To: BAV-PVG
    Actual registration number: B-2577; Boeing 737-700 with typical Shanghai Airlines livery.
    You mistake it for a Xiamen Airlines Boeing 737-700 with the registration number of B-5028.
    I was the very passenger of that flight on that day.
    Thanks!

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by hp3128 View Post
    #registration number error#
    Shanghai Airlines, Flight number: FM9136, Date: 9 June, 2019; From-To: BAV-PVG
    Actual registration number: B-2577; Boeing 737-700 with typical Shanghai Airlines livery.
    You mistake it for a Xiamen Airlines Boeing 737-700 with the registration number of B-5028.
    I was the very passenger of that flight on that day.
    Thanks!
    B-2577 has one transponder miscoded with the code for B-5028 so that's why it looks like B-5028 was the aircraft you were on.

Captain
    48FD12
    SP-SKOT
    PIVI
    Pipistrel Virus 912
    289VSW100
    private owner

Captain
    A431CE
    N37DS
    PC12
    Pilatus PC-12/47E