Thread: Why is the 787 never on time?

Passenger

Why is the 787 never on time?

Hi all,

New poster here!

I've been using FR24 for years but only just discovered the forum, so hi

So, I know the 787 has had its share of problems over the years, but i noticed a very strong and distinct correlation when checking out the flight I am travelling on in a few weeks. If you're interested, have a look at TOM586, the weekly service from Manchester (MAN) to Espargos (SID) operated by TUI.

If you scroll down and have a look at all the flights between May 19th and present day, you'll see a plethora of red and amber 'on time' markers with only a handful of greens. Compare this to the months beforehand and this is mostly greens and a few ambers. The difference is that the former is operated by the 787, with the latter operated by the trusty 757.

On further investigation, I've found a similar pattern along other routes.

I've never flown on the Dreamliner, but is it really that plagued with tech issues? Has anybody here ever experienced this or even dreaded taking a 787, anticipating delays?

I'm not worried - they're mixing it up and giving us a 767 for our trip which will be a first for me!

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Javiatrix View Post
    Hi all,

New poster here!

I've been using FR24 for years but only just discovered the forum, so hi

So, I know the 787 has had its share of problems over the years, but i noticed a very strong and distinct correlation when checking out the flight I am travelling on in a few weeks. If you're interested, have a look at TOM586, the weekly service from Manchester (MAN) to Espargos (SID) operated by TUI.

If you scroll down and have a look at all the flights between May 19th and present day, you'll see a plethora of red and amber 'on time' markers with only a handful of greens. Compare this to the months beforehand and this is mostly greens and a few ambers. The difference is that the former is operated by the 787, with the latter operated by the trusty 757.

On further investigation, I've found a similar pattern along other routes.

I've never flown on the Dreamliner, but is it really that plagued with tech issues? Has anybody here ever experienced this or even dreaded taking a 787, anticipating delays?

I'm not worried - they're mixing it up and giving us a 767 for our trip which will be a first for me!
    Your sample must be rather small, plenty of flights I have seen are operating OK. It could well be an issue with the staff gaining familiarity with a new type.The very long haul Qantas B787 flight between Perth and London is operating extremely close to schedule times.