2. Filtered-LNA+Dongle
    3. Dongle with integral Filter & LNA
    4. Dongle with integral LNA + External Filter

Comment

Dongle+Tripple-filtered LNA
      Requires Bias-T and 5v DC adapter to power the LNA
      20190909_124019.jpg

20190910_181222.jpg

RadarBox24 FlightStick with integral (Filter+LNA)
      No Bias-T or 5V adapter required. LNA is powered through USB port of computer to which dongle is plugged-in
      Flight-Stick-2-R2.jpg

Connection Arrangement
      Connection Bias-T.jpg
      Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-02, 00:42.

Comment

What kind of Bias-T did you use in these configs? I can see lots of similar-looking on eBay for a really low price but they are like 10-6000MHz? Good thing is that most of them need 5v which can be supplied from the RasPi board.

Comment

This morning I took the antenna off the wall outside my office and just propped it up on a window-sill on the upper level of my house. Just by doing that – relocating one storey vertically – I have doubled its range and more than doubled the tracked planes. So I am confident that moving it another 3m vertically onto the roof with an unobstructed 360º view of the sky will see an even more marked improvement.

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
          It would just go:
          Antenna --> filtered LNA ---> coax --> bias-t --> dongle
          I think this is the route I will go down. I don't mind paying a bit extra for good co-ax, and I don't need that much, only 10-15m. I guess all I need now is to build it all and then fit it to the apex of my roof. Hopefully I can get that done over the next couple of weeks, work permitting.

If you have any suggestions for a LNA box that is weatherproof, I'd love to hear them.

Comment

Sometimes moving antenna just as little as 1/4 or 1/2 wavelength will make difference(in good or bad way).

Comment

Some people use weatherproof electrical junction boxes.
              Just feed the cable in from below the box and it shouldn't be an issue.

Be sure to test the setup before putting it on the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by matysldn View Post
                What kind of Bias-T did you use in these configs? I can see lots of similar-looking on eBay for a really low price but they are like 10-6000MHz?

I purchased these two listed below.

Bias-T.jpg

The ADSB frequency 1090Mhz (1.09Ghz) is included in the frequency range of both of these, so both are ok. The difference is in SMA connectors, one has male/female and the other female/female.

Take care to purchase one with screw terminals for connecting 5V DC adaptor wires. Some have solder pads for DC wires. I had a bad experience with it. Heat of soldering has somehow weakened the adhession of the copper to pcb, and during use a little pull on DC wires peeled off the copper from PCB . I then purchased these with screw terminals.

Originally posted by matysldn View Post
                Good thing is that most of them need 5v which can be supplied from the RasPi board.
                (1) The bias-t does not need any voltage for itself. It can handle dc voltages up to 50V DC (Maximum voltage: 50V). It can therefore work OK with 5V DC which is what required by LNA. If you have a LNA which requires 12V or 18V DC, this biast-t can be used for it also, provided you supply it power at 12V or 18V DC as required by LNA. In this case you cannot feed DC from RPi, and will need a separete 12V or 15V adapter.

(2) Yes, you can feed it 5V DC from RPi pins, IF your LNA needs 5V DC (and alternatively by a 5V DC adaptor, as I have done).
                Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-02, 20:53.

Comment

Stupid question perhaps but I'd like to be able to see my Pi's data from e.g. my office. I've enabled port forwarding for 8754 on my router and can easily get to the fr24 feeder status page, but neither /graphs1090 nor /dump1090-fa work (it simply replies with "forbidden") which ports are they listening on?

Comment

Port 80 is the default port for http.

Comment

I know, but it says 'forbidden' when i try to access my.ip.com/dump1090-fa so I thought it would be a different port or that some dir needs modded. Which is it?

Comment

Have you forwarded port 80?

Then it should work.

Comment

Annoyingly I had not pressed "apply settings." It works now. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X