Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to this – a few questions re. data

Passenger
    I used the automatic script as per your Github instructions. Will take another look tomorrow and go through the steps manually.

This is strange because I’ve rebooted it twice before and everything came back up each time, no problems.

Captain
    My automatic scripts for installing dump1090-fa should just work and reconfigure fr24feed.
    But could well be that there's a bug in there or your system just doesn't cooperate.
    If you want to find out what's going on, here are the commands to check some logs:
    https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...Debug-commands

If you are doing heavy modifications anyway, it may be better to start fresh with a Raspbian Buster Lite image instead of the pi24 image.
    Script install fr24feed, run my script to install dump1090-fa ... and you are all set.

Passenger
    I think the problem was that lighttpd was not restarting. I re-ran the auto script to configure everything and graphs1090 and dump1090-fa came back up; rebooted a few times and seems to have solved the issue. If it happens again I will report here with the logs outlined in your other comment.

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated. I am very tech-savvy in many ways, just not with Linux scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by colinLPL View Post
    I am very tech-savvy in many ways, just not with Linux scripts.
    Being a tech-savvy, you can easily learn Linux. However to learn, you have to do things manually. Using scripts to do things makes life easy, but has very little learning value.

Passenger
    I have to know enough without learning Linux scripting too

Well I have had the system running for a day now and I think I would benefit from raising the antenna a couple of feet above the chimney of my house; it seems to be blocking all signals from behind it and I am not getting great range either.

One thing I would like to know is this... I live in a very high traffic area near to both LPL and MAN and essentially right beneath one of the transatlantic entry/exit points to UK airspace. When I look at my own tracked flights and those shown on fr24, the difference is marked. For example, this morning it showed that I was tracking nine planes and uploaded three, and according to fr24 there were at least sixty within range. Is this an aerial positioning issue or low signal, or something else? How can I solve this?

FireShot Capture 004 - graphs1090_ Performance Graphs - 192.168.1.7.jpg
    Last edited by colinLPL; 2019-09-30 at 19:55.

Captain
    Filters, amplifiers, better coax, the usual candidates.

https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...ivers--dongles

First determine your limitations, which will serve as benchmark when attempting to improve performance:

(1) What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

(2) Do I need a Filter? - Find RF Signals In Area

Passenger
    I have followed step (1) above and this is the result I got. Have I dome something wrong here because this range seems ludicrous.

I have followed step (2) above and this is the result I got. It seems very quiet around the 1090 band.

Oh this basis I don't think I need a LNA or an active antenna. Any suggestions to the contrary?

Aerial location : Liverpool UK (latitude/longitude 53.41, -2.99)
    Aerial height above ground: 30 feet
    Yellow curve: 10,000 feet
    Blue curve: 40,000 feet

Liverpool - aerial 30 ft above ground.jpg

Passenger
    It was right, then. So – if I am correct – I should be able to vastly increase both my range and tracked planes by getting a better antenna and repositioning it on my roof, and I need not necessarily get an active one?