Where do I find the data my device is collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I find the data my device is collecting

Hi, I'm a newby to all this. Have set up a ADS-B receiver and I think I'm uploading something to FR24. Is there a file kept on my Pi that I can review that shows what data I am collecting and sending to FR24? Or, can I download my data from somewhere?

Thanks

Andrew

Tracked aircraft list under

But it is not logged without extra software

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

How to pipe dump1090 decoded data to a file?

Comment

In a browser use following address to latest file:

IP-of-Pi/dump1090/data/aircraft.json

In SSH window, following command will list all the aircraft.json files (current & history):

ls /run/dump1090/
        Last edited by abcd567; 2019-09-20, 02:43.

Comment

Have you checked the local map?

IP-of-Pi/dump1090

If you want some statistical graphs or a better map, checkout this thread:
          Hello, i've been maintaining some addons for dump1090-fa, i've linked them sometimes but they might as well have their own thread here. They are meant for Raspbian Stretch and later, but they should work on Debian and Ubuntu as well. The graphs and tar1090 will work with other dump1090 versions, but dump1090-fa is still

You can assume FR24 is using all the data you receive when it needs it.
          Normally if you are somewhere with other feeders, duplicate information received by other feeders is not sent to FR24.

Maybe you haven't found the statistics page yet?
          The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Click on show statistics for your feeder.

Comment

That looks like what I want. Tx

Hi, Many thanks.

Have had a quick look and it looks like data in json files.

Andrew

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
            In a browser use following address to latest file:

IP-of-Pi/dump1090/data/aircraft.json

In SSH window, following command will list all the aircraft.json files (current & history):

ls /run/dump1090/

Comment

The json file is changing very frequently. So you need to download/copy the data every few seconds which give you a large amount of files and data. In addition not everything is in this data, so you might need to run a query against a different data source to get the complete information (e.g. Aircrraft manufacturer, origin, destination etc.)

I wanted to do something similar having a DB which aircraft are passing my receiver on a daily basis. But i gave up due to the amount of data and the programming.

Or with the example above, you need to keep another device with PuttY running 24/7. At the end you still have a large file with lots of information.

Comment

Hi Magnum, that's pretty much what I'm aiming for. It's a hobby project but I also do this sort of thing for a living

Thanks

Andrew

Originally posted by magnum View Post
                The json file is changing very frequently. So you need to download/copy the data every few seconds which give you a large amount of files and data. In addition not everything is in this data, so you might need to run a query against a different data source to get the complete information (e.g. Aircrraft manufacturer, origin, destination etc.)

I wanted to do something similar having a DB which aircraft are passing my receiver on a daily basis. But i gave up due to the amount of data and the programming.

Or with the example above, you need to keep another device with PuttY running 24/7. At the end you still have a large file with lots of information.

Comment

Even if you are going to write your own data collection, it will be worth taking a look at this:

You can also extract data from the database graphs1090 creates, for example like this script does:

Here in this file are some commands extracting data from the round robin databases, that file is run to create the data files used by adsbcompare.

Comment

Looks interesting, many thanks.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by andrewjmdata View Post
                      Hi Magnum, that's pretty much what I'm aiming for. It's a hobby project but I also do this sort of thing for a living

Thanks

Andrew
                      In this case you could either copy the created aircraft.json and parse it on the Raspberry through a json converter as csv. But be careful writing that often to an SD card. I've tested it with a network harddisk connected to my network.
                      But it's still a high amount of data and you need to run a query against a master database which contain the core data for any aircraft. There are several SQLite versions available, also scripts doing the job on the Raspberry

Or you can simply use the script of TomMuc where it goes to a MYSQL DB. Depending on the frequency it collects every message and you could imagine it's a huge amount of data.
                      Link to more information: https://discussions.flightaware.com/...d-filter/26619

Initially i did the script for the JSON file once a minute even with the risk losing some aircraft which showed up and disappeared within that minute.
                      Maybe the MYSQL version works better if you tweak the script for your needs

Comment

graphs1090 does not use mysql.

collectd with rrd-tool uses a round-robin database for each parameter captured.

Comment

Brows this short thread
                          (to find links, scroll down to post #5)
                          Data Logger with Filter and Alert Scripts

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                            graphs1090 does not use mysql.

collectd with rrd-tool uses a round-robin database for each parameter captured.
                            Yes, and i did not say that

Comment

Hi, I tried setting up using your article "Data logger with .." came unstuck with trying to install some of the modules.

I think what might do is set up a Python script to process the json files into csv and then analyse data from there.

All the best.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X