Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raspberry Pi 4 - issue

Passenger
    I got the RPI4 and sold my RPI3 because I now have two SDR radios also running on it. For a little money I upgraded my RPI3 to RPI4 4GB.
    Both radios work well in my RPI4 with this power supply.

Yes, I paid $50 for the power supply in order to get a linear power supply which injects much less noise in the SDR as I often listen it remotely on HF bands.

Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post
    Is that power supply really $50? (shakes head in disbelieve)

Anyway get the official power supply for the RPi4, might just solve your problem.
    Also if you are using an USB extension, just plug the dongle directly into the RPi.

Have you tried the sd-card in the RPi3?
    There is really no need to go to the RPi4.

Captain
    Running multiple SDRs on one Pi often creates problems.

Get this power supply, i doubt you'll have any noise problems in regards to HF:
    https://www.amazon.de/Schaltnetzteil.../dp/B00MWQDH00
    NOTE: only for people skilled to wire a mains plug to the power supply.

It's 50W on purpose so the filtering is better.
    You can always add an LC ripple filter if you choose to.

I doubt the power supply you bought has any special properties in regards to noise, maybe marginally better.
    It looks to me like it's meant to fool people.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-09-09 at 14:58.

Passenger
    Thank you for the link and the information...

Indeed I noticed an improvement in HF listening with this linear power supply compared with the standard raspberry power supply. Not in VHF but in HF it was better (less noise). It was not a day/night difference but even a smallest improvement in HF is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post
    Running multiple SDRs on one Pi often creates problems.

Get this power supply, i doubt you'll have any noise problems in regards to HF:
    https://www.amazon.de/Schaltnetzteil.../dp/B00MWQDH00

It's 50W on purpose so the filtering is better.
    You can always add an LC ripple filter if you choose to.

I doubt the power supply you bought has any special properties in regards to noise, maybe marginally better.
    It looks to me like it's meant to fool people.

Captain
    Note the power supply i linked isn't really suitable if you are not comfortable attaching an earthed plug to the power supply.
    It also leaves the terminals somewhat exposed so maybe it's not the best idea. If you are concerned about noise, the mains earth should be connected to the negative contact going to the RPi.

Did you have one of the RPi Official power supplies before?
    It's not as beefy as the one i linked, but it's much easier to use.

The Official RPi supply for the RPi4 should be quite good.
    Grounding the Pi to mains earth separately would be a good idea though, that may help quite a bit.

Regardless of the above you can probably test the theory by removing the other SDRs temporarily.
    That should narrow down your problem.

Or you can use a powered USB hub for the FA stick, that should also solve your problem.
    Might introduce HF noise, but it's good at least for testing.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-09-09 at 14:59.

Passenger
    No problem, it's OK for me doing that. I'll make the connections unexposed.
    I've the standard PI4 power supply. I've bought the PS you linked in another website for 15€ including shipping to my country. For the price it's worth having one. I'll test with it for undervoltage issues and also will test the noise as well.
    Unfortunately I'm not with the RPI4 for the next few days so I can't physically disconnect the SDRs and try again (probably there is an alternative of also doing it via the command line).