Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 4 - issue

Hello all,

I have the Raspberry Pi 4 running the Raspbian Buster.
    I have installed dump1090 and Fr24feed. The problem is that there is no aircraft shown, neither on the ip/dump1090/gmap.html, nor accessing the ip:8754

When I run fre24feed-status I get:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ fr24feed-status
    [ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
    [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2019-09-08 13:41:14.
    [ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [UDP].
    [ ok ] FR24 Radar: T-LPCO40.
    [ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC:.
    [ ok ] Receiver: connected (0 MSGS/ SYNC).
    [FAIL] FR24 MLAT: not running ... failed!

Can you please help me?

Thank you and best regards

Try updating to the current kernel first, there was a problem with the earlier versions.

sudo apt update
    sudo apt dist-upgrade
    sudo reboot

If that doesn't help you can run this to test the stick: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-sc...---DVB-T-stick
    Or you can try dump1090-fa: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-sc...for-dump1090fa

Comment

Many thanks for your reply.
      I've done all the updates for RPi. Then tested the stick...

-----------------------------------------------
      Lost samples in the first 2 seconds after starting the test are common and not a problem!
      Starting 30 second rtl_test, standby!
      -----
      Found 1 device(s):
      0: Realtek, RTL2832U, SN: 00001000

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U
      Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
      Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6
      [R82XX] PLL not locked!
      Sampling at 2400000 S/s.

Info: This tool will continuously read from the device, and report if
      samples get lost. If you observe no further output, everything is fine.

Reading samples in async mode...
      Allocating 15 zero-copy buffers
      Signal caught, exiting!

User cancel, exiting...
      -----------------------------------------------

I then executed:
      "sudo bash -c "$(wget -q -O - raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/adsb-scripts/master/install-complete.sh)"
      "hash -r"

I still can't find any planes in dump1090 or dump1090-fa....

Comment

I'd say then you have an antenna or antenna connection problem.

Can you post the contents of http://address/dump1090-fa/data/stats.json ?
        address being the address you can reach your RPi.

You should probably also do a reboot after using the rtl_test script.

Comment

I've checked all the connections, seems OK.

I see the following output:

{
          "latest":{"start":1567955472.8,"end":1567955472.8, "local":{"samples_processed":0,"samples_dropped":0 ,"modeac":0,"modes":0,"bad":0,"unknown_icao":0,"ac cepted":[0],"strong_signals":0},"remote":{"modeac":0,"modes": 0,"bad":0,"unknown_icao":0,"accepted":[0]},"cpr":{"surface":0,"airborne":0,"global_ok":0,"g lobal_bad":0,"global_range":0,"global_speed":0,"gl obal_skipped":0,"local_ok":0,"local_aircraft_relat ive":0,"local_receiver_relative":0,"local_skipped" :0,"local_range":0,"local_speed":0,"filtered":0}," altitude_suppressed":0,"cpu":{"demod":0,"reader":0 ,"background":0},"tracks":{"all":0,"single_message ":0},"messages":0},
          "last1min":{"start":1567955412.7,"end":1567955472. 8,"local":{"samples_processed":0,"samples_dropped" :0,"modeac":0,"modes":0,"bad":0,"unknown_icao":0," accepted":[0],"strong_signals":0},"remote":{"modeac":0,"modes": 0,"bad":0,"unknown_icao":0,"accepted":[0]},"cpr":{"surface":0,"airborne":0,"global_ok":0,"g lobal_bad":0,"global_range":0,"global_speed":0,"gl obal_skipped":0,"local_ok":0,"local_aircraft_relat ive":0,"local_receiver_relative":0,"local_skipped" :0,"local_range":0,"local_speed":0,"filtered":0}," altitude_suppressed":0,"cpu":{"demod":0,"reader":4 ,"background":170},"tracks":{"all":0,"single_messa ge":0},"messages":0},
          "last5min":{"start":1567955412.7,"end":1567955472. 8,"local":{"samples_processed":0,"samples_dropped" :0,"modeac":0,"modes":0,"bad":0,"unknown_icao":0," accepted":[0],"strong_signals":0},"remote":{"modeac":0,"modes": 0,"bad":0,"unknown_icao":0,"accepted":[0]},"cpr":{"surface":0,"airborne":0,"global_ok":0,"g lobal_bad":0,"global_range":0,"global_speed":0,"gl obal_skipped":0,"local_ok":0,"local_aircraft_relat ive":0,"local_receiver_relative":0,"local_skipped" :0,"local_range":0,"local_speed":0,"filtered":0}," altitude_suppressed":0,"cpu":{"demod":0,"reader":4 ,"background":170},"tracks":{"all":0,"single_messa ge":0},"messages":0},
          "last15min":{"start":1567955412.7,"end":1567955472 .8,"local":{"samples_processed":0,"samples_dropped ":0,"modeac":0,"modes":0,"bad":0,"unknown_icao":0, "accepted":[0],"strong_signals":0},"remote":{"modeac":0,"modes": 0,"bad":0,"unknown_icao":0,"accepted":[0]},"cpr":{"surface":0,"airborne":0,"global_ok":0,"g lobal_bad":0,"global_range":0,"global_speed":0,"gl obal_skipped":0,"local_ok":0,"local_aircraft_relat ive":0,"local_receiver_relative":0,"local_skipped" :0,"local_range":0,"local_speed":0,"filtered":0}," altitude_suppressed":0,"cpu":{"demod":0,"reader":4 ,"background":170},"tracks":{"all":0,"single_messa ge":0},"messages":0},
          "total":{"start":1567955412.7,"end":1567955472.8," local":{"samples_processed":0,"samples_dropped":0, "modeac":0,"modes":0,"bad":0,"unknown_icao":0,"acc epted":[0],"strong_signals":0},"remote":{"modeac":0,"modes": 0,"bad":0,"unknown_icao":0,"accepted":[0]},"cpr":{"surface":0,"airborne":0,"global_ok":0,"g lobal_bad":0,"global_range":0,"global_speed":0,"gl obal_skipped":0,"local_ok":0,"local_aircraft_relat ive":0,"local_receiver_relative":0,"local_skipped" :0,"local_range":0,"local_speed":0,"filtered":0}," altitude_suppressed":0,"cpu":{"demod":0,"reader":4 ,"background":170},"tracks":{"all":0,"single_messa ge":0},"messages":0}
          }

Comment

Can you show pictures of your setup or describe which cable/antenna you are using?

Could be that your dongle is defective in a way that seems to work, but just doesn't receive anything.
            The stats you posted it's literally not receiving anything, not even noise.

If you want you can do a spectrum scan like described here: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ignals-In-Area

Comment

Hi,

I'm using the FA antenna with RG213 coax cable (5m). Antenna is mounted above the roof. In the RPI3 with the same setup I got many planes around me... Now with RPi4 no matter what I do I get no planes in the radar...

Comment

Remove the power and try once more, now that you have updated.
                (rebooting should be sufficient but remove power just to make sure)

You should also be able to test the card you are using in the RPi4 in the RPi3 to test the configuration.

Maybe there is something in the log, check after doing the power off/on:

sudo journalctl --no-pager -u dump1090-fa
                Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-09-08, 19:17.

Comment

The log has the following output...

Sep 09 00:34:15 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[1704]: Mon Sep 9 00:34:15 2019 WEST No data received from the SDR for a long time, it may have wedged
                  Sep 09 00:35:16 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[1704]: Mon Sep 9 00:35:16 2019 WEST No data received from the SDR for a long time, it may have wedged
                  Sep 09 00:36:16 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[1704]: Mon Sep 9 00:36:16 2019 WEST No data received from the SDR for a long time, it may have wedged
                  Sep 09 00:37:16 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[1704]: Mon Sep 9 00:37:16 2019 WEST No data received from the SDR for a long time, it may have wedged
                  Sep 09 00:38:17 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[1704]: Mon Sep 9 00:38:17 2019 WEST No data received from the SDR for a long time, it may have wedged
                  Sep 09 00:39:17 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[1704]: Mon Sep 9 00:39:17 2019 WEST No data received from the SDR for a long time, it may have wedged
                  Sep 09 00:40:17 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[1704]: Mon Sep 9 00:40:17 2019 WEST No data received from the SDR for a long time, it may have wedged
                  Sep 09 00:41:17 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[1704]: Mon Sep 9 00:41:17 2019 WEST No data received from the SDR for a long time, it may have wedged
                  Sep 09 00:42:18 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[1704]: Mon Sep 9 00:42:18 2019 WEST No data received from the SDR for a long time, it may have wedged
                  Sep 09 00:43:18 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[1704]: Mon Sep 9 00:43:18 2019 WEST No data received from the SDR for a long time, it may have wedged

I've run again the stick test script and found undervoltage warning this time. This issue could be related to that?
                  I'm using the same power supply (https://www.amazon.co.uk/iFi-iPower-.../dp/B01GNNXP0Y) that I used for RPi3.

Comment

Is that power supply really $50? (shakes head in disbelieve)

Anyway get the official power supply for the RPi4, might just solve your problem.
                    Also if you are using an USB extension, just plug the dongle directly into the RPi.

Have you tried the sd-card in the RPi3?
                    There is really no need to go to the RPi4.

Comment

I got the RPI4 and sold my RPI3 because I now have two SDR radios also running on it. For a little money I upgraded my RPI3 to RPI4 4GB.
                      Both radios work well in my RPI4 with this power supply.

Yes, I paid $50 for the power supply in order to get a linear power supply which injects much less noise in the SDR as I often listen it remotely on HF bands.

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                      Is that power supply really $50? (shakes head in disbelieve)

Anyway get the official power supply for the RPi4, might just solve your problem.
                      Also if you are using an USB extension, just plug the dongle directly into the RPi.

Have you tried the sd-card in the RPi3?
                      There is really no need to go to the RPi4.

Comment

Running multiple SDRs on one Pi often creates problems.

Get this power supply, i doubt you'll have any noise problems in regards to HF:

NOTE: only for people skilled to wire a mains plug to the power supply.

It's 50W on purpose so the filtering is better.
                        You can always add an LC ripple filter if you choose to.

I doubt the power supply you bought has any special properties in regards to noise, maybe marginally better.
                        It looks to me like it's meant to fool people.
                        Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-09-09, 14:58.

Comment

Thank you for the link and the information...

Indeed I noticed an improvement in HF listening with this linear power supply compared with the standard raspberry power supply. Not in VHF but in HF it was better (less noise). It was not a day/night difference but even a smallest improvement in HF is welcome.

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                          Running multiple SDRs on one Pi often creates problems.

Get this power supply, i doubt you'll have any noise problems in regards to HF:

It's 50W on purpose so the filtering is better.
                          You can always add an LC ripple filter if you choose to.

I doubt the power supply you bought has any special properties in regards to noise, maybe marginally better.
                          It looks to me like it's meant to fool people.

Comment

Note the power supply i linked isn't really suitable if you are not comfortable attaching an earthed plug to the power supply.
                            It also leaves the terminals somewhat exposed so maybe it's not the best idea. If you are concerned about noise, the mains earth should be connected to the negative contact going to the RPi.

Did you have one of the RPi Official power supplies before?
                            It's not as beefy as the one i linked, but it's much easier to use.

The Official RPi supply for the RPi4 should be quite good.
                            Grounding the Pi to mains earth separately would be a good idea though, that may help quite a bit.

Regardless of the above you can probably test the theory by removing the other SDRs temporarily.
                            That should narrow down your problem.

Or you can use a powered USB hub for the FA stick, that should also solve your problem.
                            Might introduce HF noise, but it's good at least for testing.
                            Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-09-09, 14:59.

Comment

No problem, it's OK for me doing that. I'll make the connections unexposed.
                              I've the standard PI4 power supply. I've bought the PS you linked in another website for 15€ including shipping to my country. For the price it's worth having one. I'll test with it for undervoltage issues and also will test the noise as well.
                              Unfortunately I'm not with the RPI4 for the next few days so I can't physically disconnect the SDRs and try again (probably there is an alternative of also doing it via the command line).

Comment

Working...
                              X