Start of my RPi journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
    Just get Raspbian Buster Lite running on your RPi and familiarize yourself how to use Putty to connect to it.

Here you get the image, choose the Lite image: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

If you are starting without keyboard/screen connected, you can use step3 here https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...te-access/ssh/ to enable SSH.
    It's easiest to start using a Ethernet cable. After switching on the RPi, you'll need to check the router to find out the IP address.
    Then connect as explained here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...ssh/windows.md

After having connected, you can use raspi-config to further configure the Pi: https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...aspi-config.md

Now you should be ready to install feed software
    Thanks wiedehopf, much appreciated advice. I will get the little guy working to the point before loading the traffic feeds and during this months wait, get my 1090MHz antenna built. Feels like waiting for Christmas..

Comment

I received my flightaware pro stick plus today. What fitting do I need to convert the sma? on the pro stick to connect to the RG6 coax. Looks very small, so maybe an adaptor of some sort.

Comment

POR911

Use pigtail F-female to SMA-male

Cable RG316. Connectors B F female. Programming Cable. To 7/16 DIN L29. To BNC series. To MCX MMCX MiniUHF. To SMB SMC. To UHF PL259 SO239.

Pigtail F-female to SMA-male.png
        Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-10, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
          POR911

Use pigtail F-female to SMA-male

Cable RG316. Connectors B F female. Programming Cable. To 7/16 DIN L29. To BNC series. To MCX MMCX MiniUHF. To SMB SMC. To UHF PL259 SO239.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11165[/ATTACH]
          Thanks for info. To get stuff here from Ebay-China, takes a few months. So, while more expensive, I will visit my local radio parts place tomorrow and see what I can find. I plan to build the little 4 leg spider on the SO239, then connect it to the flightaware pro stick with about 2 metres of RG6 to prove concept.

Comment

It does not need to be such a pigtail.

I am using such a connector and it works without issues.

Comment

Yes, an adaptor can be used instead of a pigtail, but the pull of heavy RG6 on the delicate connector of dongle can cause damage. By using a thin pigtail, the mechanical stress on SMA connector of dongle is reduced.

Pigtail F-female to SMA-male.png . . Adaptor F-female to SMA-male.jpg

Please read the comment on the image of pigtail I have posted above, and which says "Additional Benefit: Flexibility"

Comment

OK, I understand the benefits of the pigtail. When the Flightaware pro stick arrived, I thought it appeared to be a tad delicate. I can imagine the RG6 has a lot of momentum unless somehow locked into the same plane as the pro stick. If I try and source materials here is OZ, I maybe restricted in choice. I will visit my local radio parts shop and see what I can find. https://www.jaycar.com.au/search/?q=...vance&show=All Maybe a few hours searching may reveal other sources.

My thoughts were to use a SO239 as the antenna base and work down from there through the RG6 to the sma prostick. Maybe I need to rethink the antenna and build the cantenna?
                Last edited by POR911; 2019-10-10, 23:13.

Comment

Try this one first. You can built one with SO239 later:

QUICK SPIDER, No Soldering Required, No SO239 Connector Required.

Quick Spider.jpg

Comment

Agree abc, that one will do nicely. So, does this version connect to the F female in the pigtale?

Comment

Yes, the Quick Spider is built using RG6 coax, and the connector at its receiver end is twist-on F-male. It will fit nicely any F-female connector (same as you use to hookup RG6 coax to you TV or satellite box). Please see the photo below

Stuff Required
                      Quick Spider - Stuff Required.jpg
                      Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-11, 02:27.

Comment

You can even build it at the end of the RG-6 run without any extra connectors.

Just need an connector/adapter to connect to the dongle.

Comment

Hi Wiedopf, That is exactly what I am doing. Fittings here a bit limited so managed to get a sma adapter/connector for the dongle, and will make RG6 coax 2 metres long, fashion the spider on one end and will create the coupling on the other end. I will make up some sort of mount for the prostick and the antenna connection to stop any stresses on the pro stick innards. This week end, should be working....

Comment

Yes, use single piece of RG6 coax, make adaptor/connector at one end to connect to dongle, and built QuickSpider on the other end

If you want to try Cantenna, you can do exactly same way as I described for QuickSpider, except that at antenna end of coax build Cantenna instead of Spider.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                              Yes, an adaptor can be used instead of a pigtail, but the pull of heavy RG6 on the delicate connector of dongle can cause damage. By using a thin pigtail, the mechanical stress on SMA connector of dongle is reduced.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11168[/ATTACH] . . [ATTACH=CONFIG]11169[/ATTACH]

Please read the comment on the image of pigtail I have posted above, and which says "Additional Benefit: Flexibility"
                              Yes and no

The same can be given with the stick detached from Raspberry using a good USB-Extension
                              I am running this setup which reduces the distance between Stick and Antenna

There's always more than one solution

Comment

Originally posted by magnum View Post
                                using a good USB-Extension
                                Yes, provided it is a good USB extension cable.
                                Lot of users have faced problem of DVB-T/ProStick dongle NOT working (or performing poor) due to bad USB cable.
                                ... and you cant tell if a USB cable is good or bad unless you start using it, and compare results with & without this cable....
                                Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-11, 18:47.

Comment

Working...
                                X