No announcement yet.

Start of my RPi journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got Chinese from aliexpres for let than 6 dollars, reasonably good, especially for that price. Look at my stats above. Obviously you can't compare this to Pro Stick Plus, but for beginning why not ?? I just don't know if that(buy Chinese) way will be quicker for you?

Comment

Originally posted by POR911 View Post
      I wonder if those cheap Chinese dongles work in a reasonable fashion?
      They work, or they wont. But these are nothing special. Some manufactures are just "creative" in boxing and naming their devices.
      Be aware that they normally do not have any filter of amplifier built in, so significant lower performance compared to the blue FA stick.

If using such a "generic" device, you might also need an LNA and a Filter which will increase your cost again.

Comment

Originally posted by matysldn View Post
        I've got Chinese from aliexpres for let than 6 dollars, reasonably good, especially for that price. Look at my stats above. Obviously you can't compare this to Pro Stick Plus, but for beginning why not ?? I just don't know if that(buy Chinese) way will be quicker for you?
        Matysldn, I looked at their site....many choices. Which one did you get. And agree Magum, the cheap Chinese sticks may or may not work. For the time being, I am just trying to get onto the FR feed system. I can then improve. I will soon have my RPi, and will be itching to get setup.

Looks like I need a fair bit of homework studying abcd567 and others like wiedehopf posts to get my antenna built and working and feed scripts set up. At this stage, I will stay initially with FR feed, and may expand as experience picks up. For an old sod, quite exciting....

Comment

OK, I answered my own question. I looked at the Aliexpress site a bit better and worked out the two items I would need. The blue DVB T-FM-DAB 820T2 dongle, and 1090MHz line filter would cost approx. AUD$29.00 delivered and would not arrive for another 30-40 days. The FlightAware Pro Stick Plus Blue Receiver will cost me AUD$53.20 delivered and arrive about the same time. The cost increase is AUD$24.00. Looking at the big picture, the FR24 feed price per annum credit will more than recoup the costs of the better receiver.

Comment

OK, I answered my own question. I looked at the Aliexpress site a bit better and worked out the two items I would need. The blue DVB T-FM-DAB 820T2 dongle, and 1090MHz line filter would cost approx. AUD$29.00 delivered and would not arrive for another 30-40 days. The FlightAware Pro Stick Plus Blue Receiver will cost me AUD$53.20 delivered and arrive about the same time. The cost increase is AUD$24.00. Looking at the big picture, the FR24 feed price per annum credit will more than recoup the costs of the better receiver.
            You are living at the end of the world so everything will take some time to arrive You better wait and order Pro stick plus otherwise you will end up with $53 plus $24 and still not sure if Chinese will work for you.

I've got this:
            Link - not sure if link will work for you

Comment

Originally posted by matysldn View Post
              You are living at the end of the world so everything will take some time to arrive You better wait and order Pro stick plus otherwise you will end up with $53 plus $24 and still not sure if Chinese will work for you.

I've got this:
              Link - not sure if link will work for you
              Yes maty, your link worked ok, that was the dongle I found. May or may not do the job. Big difference in price for the probably Chinese built Flightaware version.

Comment

Correct, there are several sticks which are either not working or where the hardware inside is not what it should be.

I would simply take a bit more money and buy a better stick. At the end you pay twice

Comment

Agree magnum. I will simply wait until the middle of October. Australia is still quite slow in many ways.

However, is what I can do is 'play' with my new raspberry. If I am going to feed the Fr24 site, I need to load an operating system onto my micro card, then the software from FR24..need to go and work out the best solution. Ummm, seems this is the latest version of getting started. https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ickStart-Guide

Without the dongle, can't go too far.
                  Last edited by POR911; 2019-09-21, 00:43. Reason: later thought

Comment

If you really want to play and learn about your Raspberry, do not use the FR24 image, but a regular OS downloaded for your raspberry. The FR24 scripts can be installed afterwards on top of it.

Using the FR24 image (or any other image which contain a feeder software, e.g. Flightradar) is good if you want to get it running quick and without additional work.
                    I started that way and two weeks later i decided to get my Raspi installed from scratch with core OS.

Without a compatible stick, your journey ends at Step 5 on the tutorial in your link

Comment

Originally posted by magnum View Post
                      If you really want to play and learn about your Raspberry, do not use the FR24 image, but a regular OS downloaded for your raspberry. The FR24 scripts can be installed afterwards on top of it.
                      This is a really good advise.

I also recommend writing Raspbian Lite image to micro SD card, then adding data feeders. This image can be downloaded from here:

Please also see this guide:

How to Feed Data to Multiple Sites - A Brief Guide

Last edited by abcd567; 2019-09-21, 07:30.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                        This is a really good advise.

I also recommend writing Raspbian Lite image to micro SD card, then adding data feeders. This image can be downloaded from here:

Please also see this guide:

How to Feed Data to Multiple Sites - A Brief Guide

Excellent advice Magnum and abc. After reading many of the forum comments, I want to arrive at the ideal end result first time, rather than...ummm, 'how do I get over this issue', and start rebuilding. As an absolute beginner to feeding and the RPi, this advice is invaluable.

So, looking at the link....is the idea to:

1. Write the Raspian Lite image to the micro SD card. Do I need Etcher for this? When done, I have an operating system on the card for the RPi to use as its basis of operations.
                        2. Do I need 'putty' or... to get my desktop mouse and keyboard to talk to RPi. I will use a fixed line from my router to the RPi.
                        3. When I get my dongle and antenna set up, as I want to start with FR24, Do I load the command...sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"

Comment

1. Write the Raspian Lite image to the micro SD card. Do I need Etcher for this? When done, I have an operating system on the card for the RPi to use as its basis of operations.
                          Yes, Etcher or Win32DiskImager, any one of these two is OK and required.

2. Do I need 'putty' or... to get my desktop mouse and keyboard to talk to RPi. I will use a fixed line from my router to the RPi.
                          Either SSH using PuTTY, or connect a Monitor & Keyboard to RPi.
                          Using fixed line is better than using WiFi.

3. When I get my dongle and antenna set up, as I want to start with FR24, Do I load the command...sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
                          YES

Browse this thread also.
                          Raspberry Pi (B+, Zero, RPi2, RPi3 & RPi4) - Installation instructions for Raspbian, Dump1090 & Data Feeder

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                            Yes, Etcher or Win32DiskImager, any one of these two is OK and required.

Either SSH using PuTTY, or connect a Monitor & Keyboard to RPi.
                            Using fixed line is better than using WiFi.

YES

Browse this thread also.
                            Raspberry Pi (B+, Zero, RPi2, RPi3 & RPi4) - Installation instructions for Raspbian, Dump1090 & Data Feeder

You just keep on giving.......Perfect links

Comment

You just keep on giving.......Perfect links
                              Which can be found on searching

Comment

Just get Raspbian Buster Lite running on your RPi and familiarize yourself how to use Putty to connect to it.

Here you get the image, choose the Lite image: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

If you are starting without keyboard/screen connected, you can use step3 here https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...te-access/ssh/ to enable SSH.
                                It's easiest to start using a Ethernet cable. After switching on the RPi, you'll need to check the router to find out the IP address.
                                Then connect as explained here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...ssh/windows.md

After having connected, you can use raspi-config to further configure the Pi: https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...aspi-config.md

Now you should be ready to install feed software

Comment

Working...
                                X