Feeding by solar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding by solar

I have a large yard, and am thinking about putting a rpi feeder with an antenna at the highest point. An extention cord is not practical, but here in the deep south we have a lot of sunshine. So I was thinking about perhaps solar, providing the cost is not obscene.

Anybody have any experience with this? Setup? Cost? Reliability?
    ENFB.net
    Radarstation KGVL

Interesting approach, so i did a little google search.

Even in Germany many people are thinking about it (with less sun).

Maybe this is something for you (as it'S in english)

Solar Powered Raspberry Pi: What i'm going to show you today is how to run your raspberry pi off the sun using solar power & Battery.

Comment

Problem I have is finding a robust reliable 12vdc to USB 'interface' that can supply adequate power. Most of the standard ones have max 2.1A and I've had some failures with the 3A pucks from fleabay.

Don't forget some form of solar regulator between the solar panel and battery.

ylis

Comment

Originally posted by ylis View Post
        Problem I have is finding a robust reliable 12vdc to USB 'interface' that can supply adequate power. Most of the standard ones have max 2.1A and I've had some failures with the 3A pucks from fleabay.

Don't forget some form of solar regulator between the solar panel and battery.
        What you may need to do is think a bit different way... what devices need good 5v or more ?? - new smartphones right? Which devices charging new smartphones at good rate from 12v source? Car fast chargers!

In my opinion(im not a expert at all) what you will have built it is:
        1. Solar panel 5v * 3,5A = 17,5W
        2. A good portable battery like 10000mA with fast charging function and which can be charged itself and charging another device(s) at the same time. So that wil have a role to stabilise power and be a source of power when is no light(if you need that)!
        3. Car charger - Ideally fast charger with certificate for QC 3.0 eg. (Anker PowerDrive 2 Elite, Ultra-Compact 5V/4.8A/24W)
        4. And the rest RasPi + receiver + antenna

Then you connecting: Solar panel >> car charger >> portable battery >>> RasPi+reciever+antenna

Comment

@matysldn - thanks for your suggestion. Has anyone looked at this option ? How much noise do they generate ?

ylis

Comment

Working...
          X