No announcement yet.

Dynamic Range improvement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid I don't know how to get to the "config file/web page", unless you are talking about this page:

feeder.JPG

In the process arguments line, I have the gain set to -10. If I change it to -43, the "FR24 MLAT AC seen:" line goes to "FAILED" in the fr24feed-status display. And, where is the "gain optimiser" located?

I apologize, I'm just not sure how to get to certain files/features yet.

Comment

It's probably crashing dump1090

I couldn't remember if it's a negative number or positive, it seems it should be a positive

This is a starting point to get you on your way

All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

The optimizer requires you to replace the decoder. So I probably shouldn't have suggested that

Solutions to common problems for rtl_sdr / ADS-B stuff - wiedehopf/adsb-scripts
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

ABOUT GAIN
        • Gain should always be a positive number (except -10).
        • Using a negetive number (except -10) sets the gain to ZERO.
        • Gain's permissible values are from 0 to 49.6
        • Gain="max" sets gain to maximum i.e. 49.6 dB
        • Gain -10 is a special setting. It does NOT set gain to -10. It switches dongle to AGC (Automatic Gain Control) mode. The dongle is designed for TV reception. The TV signal at any channel is fairly constant, hence AGC works as intended. However since ADS-B signal is intermittent bursts, the AGC setting malfuntions and sets the gain to more than max (49.6). It normally sets gain to 52~55 dB.

Last edited by abcd567; 2020-10-09, 05:41.

Comment

Thanks Gentlemen! I successfully made the gain adjustments you recommended in the config file and didn't see much range improvement. The gain setting in the file was originally set at "max". I did remove dump1090-mutability and installed dump1090-fa and made the gain adjustment there (49 dB) but still had pretty much the same range results. Something has changed, but maybe this is as good as it gets for now!

Comment

Do you have LNA with Bias T by any chance in your setup? If so, check if you still have power at LNA.

Comment

Hello,

I'm feeding data to FR24 using a Raspberyy PI3B+ + FlightAware ProStick Plus + A3 ADS antenna from Jetvision (5 dBi). Recently, I configured a second receiver, this time with the configuration Raspberry PI4 + FlightAware ProStick Plus + Small Indoor Antenna (2.5 dBi, I guess), in order to place it in other location than the first one. Each receiver is currently configured for its intended location, meaning different coordinates and elevation in the settings.

Before moving the second receiver to its intended location, I decided to make some tests and observe the range of each one when they are placed in the same location. Of course, the polar plots of the antennas are different, as it can be seen in the pictures below. The large 5dBi antenna helps me reach maximum ranges of 240-270 nm in 5 directions, while with the small indoor antenna, placed in the same spot, I obtain 330 to 349 nm, but only in 3 directions (the rest are zero). However, when I change the antennas between them, the current range doesn't seem to change for any of the receivers (normally, I would expect for the first receiver to go over 300 nm for the maximum range, and for the second receiver to have a wider polar plot, with extended range for west and east).

And my question is: why does this happen? It has something to do with the different location settings?

Thank you in advance for an answer!
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by ionut-florian View Post
                Hello,

And my question is: why does this happen? It has something to do with the different location settings?
                YES.
                In the 2nd Pi, change the coordinates from those of "other location" to the coordinates of location where you are testing the Pi, and this discrepancy will disappear.

When you move the Pi to other location, then only set the coordinates of that location.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post

YES.
                  In the 2nd Pi, change the coordinates from those of "other location" to the coordinates of location where you are testing the Pi, and this discrepancy will disappear.

When you move the Pi to other location, then only set the coordinates of that location.
                  Thank you for the answer.

As I know, there are several ways to change the coordinates. One is using the statistics page of the feeder from FR24 site, another one is when activating the feeder using STEP 6 from your tutorial (2019 - PI24 (Image) QuickStart Guide) and the last one is also from you tutorials by using the command sudo systemctl restart dump1090-mutability and editing the coordinates from the file.

Which one should work in order to see changes in the polar plots of the 2nd Pi?

Comment

The first one.

The others are local map view only and have no effect on fr24
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

As already advised by Oblivian, change coordinates using the statistics page of the feeder from FR24 site.

Comment

Hello, again,

I tried what you said in the previous messages and it worked, so thank you for that. The wrong location settings affect the range shown and switching the antennas between them won't change anything but the range of each receiver. Also I guess that it is better to make an upgrade of the small indoor antenna to improve the range, along with some tweaking.

In this regard I installed wiedehopf's tutorial for the performange graphs to see more data. The > -3dBFS messages are around 3% (+/- 0.3, depending on the time of day). I guess this is OK as I read on other threads that this value shall be between 1 and 5%.

Another parameter which I guess it shall be improved is the ADS-B signal level. As it can be seen from the image below, I'm getting the weakest signal at -28 dBFS. As I also studied other threads, the value seems too low. Currently, the gain is set to "max". Is there any room for range improvement by changing gain? It won't affect the > -3dBFS value?

And finally, one last thing. After installing performance graphs, I noticed that the ADS-B range graphs is not working. I added the location coordinates using command sudo systemctl restart dump1090-mutability, but nothing happens. Is this due to the fact that I am running something else than dump1090-fa? On my SD card I have installed pi24 image (version 2.2.0) and the dump1090-mutability is 1.15~20180310.4a16df3+dfsg-6 (checked with command apt-cache policy dump1090-mutability).
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

With Pi24 image, you have to add "--lat xx.xxxx -- lon yy.yyyy" in field "Process arguments:", as shown below.

(Replace xx.xxxx and yy.yyyy by your actual latitude and longitude).

You can also change gain by changing the number after --gain in the field "Process argument".

Note: the gain value shold always be a positive number between 0 and 49.6 (max). The only negetive value acceptable is -10 (minus 10) which sets gain to 55.

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post

STEP-8: SETTINGS & CONFIGURATION To check settings (or modify settings if needed), open your browser and type following address and press Enter Key. IP-of-Pi:8754/settings.html After making changes, press "Save" button, then "Restart" button. Both these buttons are at bottom-right corner of settings page. See below screenshot of settings page

Pi24 Settings.png
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2020-10-22, 21:19.

Comment

Working...
                          X