Antenna mount question (gutter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antenna mount question (gutter)

I've done some searching on these forums and googling to see if I can answer my own question but so far I'm not finding what I am hoping to find.

I have this antenna for my Flightradar24 receiver: FlightAware 1090 MHz ADS-B Antenna - 66 cm / 26 in

I would like to find a mount so I can install this antenna to the gutters on my house. Has anyone seen or run across such a thing?

My gutters look like this:

amerimax-home-products-gutters-1800700120-64_1000.jpg

If it were my antenna, I'd try and build a mount myself. Perhaps you could bolt a vertical aluminum plate to the gutter's sidewall and then attach the antenna to it with U-clamps. If the gutter wall is too thin, it could be reinforced with a metallic plate serving as a doubler, fixed with a good number of bolts to evenly distribute the bending/shearing loads. If you are looking to use a mast and then the antenna on top of it, from the looks of the gutter it seems it may be too weak to support it, no matter what kind of mount is used, and in this case some other means for mounting would be needed.
    Please excuse the crude Paint drawing.
    Gutter antenna mount.jpg
    T-SSBL3

Comment

I'd greatly prefer to buy a mount, if such a thing exists.

Comment

Originally posted by adampk17 View Post
        I'd greatly prefer to buy a mount, if such a thing exists.
        With many years in the radio hobby, the only gutter mounts I've come across are for cars. Guttering such as you show is quite flimsy and not designed for those types of loads. One option would be a flat metal strap that attaches to the house board/fascia, loops below and around the gutter and a flat bend in which a mounting hole could be drilled. I think its very unlikely that you'll find one on sale, however any competent metal worker could make one up.

Comment

The weight and wind loading of the FA 26inch antenna may be too much for mounting directly to guttering. Can you install a TV style fascia mount ?

fascia_mount.jpg

ylis

Comment

It's hard to imaging that the weight of the antenna, it's quite light, and any wind load would be too much for the gutter to hold. What what do I know about it? Pretty much nothing. lol

There really isn't any facia exposed for the mount to attach to. I'll have to see about uploading a picture. Thanks for the effort so far.

Comment

I have the same antenna and wouldn't be confident it could be attached to a gutter and stay in place.

At present I have it mounted on a stainless steel plate with four window suckers. It works just fine. That may be an option for you?
              Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
                I have the same antenna and wouldn't be confident it could be attached to a gutter and stay in place.

At present I have it mounted on a stainless steel plate with four window suckers. It works just fine. That may be an option for you?
                I have mine “mounted” on the inside of a window as well and it works pretty well. I’m just hoping that getting the antenna outside and up a little higher will result in some greater range.

Comment

Working...
                X