How about this for an idea ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about this for an idea ?

Guy's, it still takes a university degree to figure out Pi and getting the software to work. Thanks to 'Oblivian' and 'abcd567' for your help in the past, appreciated, all is working OK.

It's a minefield, it's complex, so how about one of you guy's programme an SD card to handle Raspberry Pi and sell them?

More than willing to pop quite a few dollars into your PayPal or other accounts for the service. This would probably eliminate 95% of forum traffic, save you time as well.

You can't sell things with opensource and licenced applications 'not for redistribution'
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Traveller View Post
      It's a minefield, it's complex, so how about one of you guy's programme an SD card to handle Raspberry Pi and sell them?
      Why doesn't FR24 offer a downloadable, total image just like its major competitor? Or even a number of images with different options such as multiple feeds and/or local traffic maps?
      Last edited by Anmer; 2019-07-28, 07:40.
      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Anmer,

That's a good idea.

However I would like to ask a technical question? What exactly was wrong with Windows feed? that all of a sudden made it redundant.

Comment

I suspect Visual C++/Windows skilled programmers to port any changes no doubt cost more to retain

Mix that with..

NTP/Timestamping not so easy to over-ride on windows (MLAT requirement)

Constant drivers for DVBT etc being over-written every update

Majority of windows users were likely not DVBT stick, but rather legacy Beast/SBS
          The SBS with their own proprietary requirements for software middle-ware and non standard output to skirt around with FW changes

It is likely easier to get staff to focus on a single platform and preferred device than workout the multitude of windows scenarios.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

If they would get their Pi24 activation working that would be nice.

Even if someone made an image, it would still be hard for many people to even use the fr24feed --signup to start feeding.

Without that activation page, you need to follow one of the guides anyway and command line interaction is involved.
            Even with guides some people seem allergic to that or equate typing a few commands with computer science (spoiler it's not).

Once you have command line access, one command more or less doesn't make a difference.

If someone can't follow this abcd567s quickstart guide for the pi24 image, then feeding FR24 may be a hobby that's not for them until FR24 fixes their image activation process.
            STEP-1: Download Necessary Software 1.1 - Download PI24 image (zip) on your Desktop/Laptop Download page: https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own Direct download link: https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/...latest.img.zip (https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/rpi_images/fr24-raspberry-pi-latest.img.zip) 1.2 - Download

If coverage is really needed in an area, FR24 will send out one of its receivers anyway.

I'm curious, do you connect a keyboard and monitor to your RPi?
            That eliminates the Finding IP / Putty portion of abcd567s guide.
            The commands that follow can just as well be entered locally.
            Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-07-28, 08:55.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
              Even with guides some people seem allergic to that or equate typing a few commands with computer science (spoiler it's not).
              The flipside is the ones who copy paste (or-retype full of errors) and instead of stopping when something looks wrong, and questioning why/taking a step or 2 back. Keep going (or search archived unrelated fixes) and make it worse

Comment

The key problem is the activation page, which malfunctions and instead of straight away activating a new Pi, forces user to SSH and use Linux commands.

Comment

If they would get their Pi24 activation working that would be nice.
                  If coverage is really needed in an area, FR24 will send out one of its receivers anyway.
                  FR24 would prefer a volunteer feeder. It's less expensive and there's more chance the feed will stay online.

Those with an interest in aviation are more reliable than those who just want a free piece of kit, which may be sold.
                  Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Anmer you are correct.

I had a feed in Port Moresby PNG (Windows) which was T-AYPY1, and was 90% more reliable than F-AYPY1 which was offline most of the time. And still is most unreliable. I spent heaps on SBS1, SBS3, SBS Puck, (my own choice, $1500+) and it's all useless, which is disappointing.

Comment

SBS is just a pain, no matter the sd-card image.

I assume you have a rtl-sdr compatible DVB-T stick now?
                      Have you tried using a piaware sd-card and install fr24feed on top?

It will involve some use of the console, but i would encourage you to give it another try.

Comment

Yes, all is good now, but ever so tiresome. There must be a way for FR24 to sell a SD card to suit DVB-T stick etc, all nicely preloaded.... anyways I don't wish to waste people's time. Thanks to all

Comment

SBS is just a pain, no matter the sd-card image.
                          Those of us with SBS receivers would disagree. The only "pain" is using it to feed FR24.

It's still one of the most reliable Mode-S receivers ever made and, in my opinion, has the most customisable user interface - BaseStation.
                          My SBS is still working flawlessly, 14 years since I bought it.
                          Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

I find the Rpi a lot more convenient than having to run a laptop 24/7 .. so I’m happy for the change. But as others, the lack of interest by FR24 to facilitate their users by keeping their image and signup software updated, amazes me.

Are you just using the SBS for local viewing?
                            ENFB.net
                            Radarstation KGVL

Comment

Originally posted by LN-MOW View Post
                              Are you just using the SBS for local viewing?
                              If this question's for me the answer is "Yes". BaseStation is my map/list GUI of choice. I don't share my SBS data with anyone - now.

I have dedicated feeders for FlightAware and FR24 plus a couple of RPis as well. My AirNav RadarBox is "in a box", out of sight.

I'm not (normally) interested in flights outside my local area. But I value the free FR24 Business and FlightAware's Enterprise accounts as aids to my local tracking.
                              Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X