Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ABCD- Guide consolodation

Captain
    The GPG problem shouldn't exist anymore on Buster.

@ Oblivian

I fully support your aims and can see the benefits. BUT:

Where is FR24?

Surely it's in its interest to make sharing as easy as possible, preferably "out-of-the-box" with a friendly user interface for making changes and adding options? In my experience, the majority of sharers/feeders prefer not to venture into the realms of SSH and Linux commands.

I don't understand why FR24 has abondoned this forum, it's primary communication channel for the thousands of data sharers/feeders that underpin its business.

Without input from yourself and others, we'd be up the proverbial!
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...l=1#post124104

The above linked problem was caused because the activation page, instead of listing and activating new feeder, threw it to "SSH and give bash command".

The poor guy did not know how to SSH, and that he has to install PuTTY. He also did not know how to copy-paste commands into PuTTY.

After struggling he found out how to SSH, and when he issed the bash command, it failed due to GPG or IPv6 issue.

His anger is justified, and since all the FR24 staff is hiding, he took out his anger on Oblivian who was available and exposed to the users.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-07-22 at 08:11.

Super Moderator
    It's a tricky one.

I love personal interaction as much as the next person. And monitoring the online users all day tends to show how many actually use search. And how many others often sign up, bypass the 'please read me' post and go straight for the jugular and post a thread. Why? I guess the are reasonably assured some personal responses given the nature of a community forum

I can imagine it would be almost a full time role being that person. (FA have someone to, no?) But as quiet as the responces on social media and along with here. I can only guess the cut-throat commercial side means it would also en-tale some political tight lip responces or closed door solutions still if one did exist.

Guess the number of visitors here is a fraction of the total community as a whole and theres enough coverage from working ones to not bother. And therefore not making the economy roll short of handing out another business acct. So low priority?

And no way to keep a log of whos reported what as much as a CRM ticket. Not having know how successful the HD responces are, and to what level of help comes of it (maybe even a 'post on the forum' like they do with the database amendments now). Perhaps there is content that at least 3-4 apt users are willing to. And it gives some free assurances that at least some tickets will be diverted and taken care of?

I've had periods where someone has gone off at me for being a bully or not helpful and sat back for a while to see what happens. The demand doesn't change. Guess I can't help myself.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Captain
    Ah yeah the Activation page for the pi24 image.

Thought you meant the install script.
    Hmm maybe the GPG issue is still present on Buster. (that is a debian/Raspbian problem though, i though they had fixed that)

I get the impression they are relying in big parts on the feeder boxes they ship with antenna and everything.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post

Thought you meant the install script.
    Hmm maybe the GPG issue is still present on Buster. (that is a debian/Raspbian problem though, i though they had fixed that)

I get the impression they are relying in big parts on the feeder boxes they ship with antenna and everything.
    Yuh. Pi feeds are a backup bonus for enhancing what's already beatin the pants off.

I suspect if you asked each user why they feed. There would be 3 pools.
    For the love and learning (plain ol geek points)
    For the community (been around for a while and given up trying to be a F-)
    For the free account and no ads.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post
    The free FR24 receivers represent approximately 20% of the total feeder population. FR24 (and its competitors) need data from those who fund their own kit as well as their supplied equipment. They can't rely on those with the free kit, who also go offline, many ad infinitum.

Feeders die, move location, lose interest, sell the free kit or suffer from natural disasters such as hurricanes and tsunamis. There's a natural attrition rate that needs to be replaced.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Super Moderator
    We could drop/combine https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...l=1#post116967

Into a single one by the looks and link it?. A lot of that is the same as the 1.15 dev ones?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Anmer View Post
    I don't understand why FR24 has abondoned this forum, it's primary communication channel for the thousands of data sharers/feeders that underpin its business.

Without input from yourself and others, we'd be up the proverbial!
    Speaking of, It's probably on a bit of a google ranking penalty at the same time - Imagine if this lovely person and the others I'm nuking at present was posting instead of dropping URLs in profile and logging in with the next acct... (I gave the list of disposable addresses to block and a plugin to remove the URL fields..)spammer.JPG

bout the 16th today (https://forum.flightradar24.com/memb....php?do=search sort by joined after and pick 1-2 days prior to see ones I've missed)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
    We could drop/combine https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...l=1#post116967

Into a single one by the looks and link it?. A lot of that is the same as the 1.15 dev ones?
    Only STEP -1 is common, rest are quiet different in "alternatives depricated windows feeder, linux on VM" and "1.15~dev on RPi".

Dont think should be merged. Merging will create confusion.

This thread for "feed from Linux on VM in Windows" will gradually become redundent as feeder migration to RPi or VM is over. Then it can be made un-sticky
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-07-22 at 09:40.