• ABCD- Guide consolodation

My good sir(s),

Of this list,
    How to Install dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev on RPi
    Thread Sticky: Feed options for depreciated windows feeder
    PI24: Replace dump1090 v1.14 -> pre-build package of dump1090 v1.15
    Raspberry Pi:How To Install Raspian OS + Dump1090 + FR24 Data Feeder
    2019 - PI24 (Image) QuickStart Guide

Do you think it may be an advantage to consolidate some of these individuals as there is some cross-over. Or should we do a trim down. (or break them down) to more specific roles depending on user need say..
    "Install x " (guide only) + "Install-X Help"
    Install multiple (guide only) + Install-multiple help
    Or
    Pre-Buster Install
    Stretch/Wheezy (if not current on those after buster changes) Install (if people dont want to upgrade)

You could then do a separate maps and addon type one on its own that all options could reference to once setup rather than reference them in each like some are currently.

I just note that there are some similarities between some of the original updates/edits. And others that are now defunct or not updated the same as the first couple with the script changes and buster etc playing a part. And users seem to be scared to ask (probably my fault) but instead of follow our step by steps, mix-and-match different scenarios and often get in trouble.

And I just wonder if too many options is getting a bit much now

Obviously the Pi24 is a good guide for those wanting to start out. It over-rides the website with a 1 stop shop solution. And to this date is still valid (until they change the image on us)
    But all the others are pretty code/SSH intensive depending on user needs.

Thread Sticky: Feed options for depreciated windows feeder is also valid for the $0 approach (although most people seem to have given up now with lack of SBS read)

I do wonder if a 'how to get the base going' sort of one left as that. And a separate addon-s and features type group may then give people the option to get things going and sit on it for a while before diving in too deep and hitting rocks would be better to a newbie.

With the Buster variants, and tidying up of the How to Install dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev on RPi recently it looks as if Some of the same instructions appear to fall in the Raspberry Pi:How To Install Raspian OS + Dump1090 + FR24 Data Feeder?

Without making his head too big, wiedehopfs' fairly solid bash that does checks before changes, and as a team we've been able to get it to a point where it seems to fix quite a few of the issues struck that most users are reporting (with some massaging depending on which guide was read, errors struck but not reported or how old the commands they ran were to break it..) And although its 'the competition' as it were, lets face it. It's a lot simpler than supporting 1.14 + 1.15 + wheezy + buster + non Pi if half the optional upgrades are included.

Thoughts?

If we were go down that track, I wouldn't make a new one myself. As you won't have edit rights (unless I made the first post a what it covers breif, and then you do post 2 on..) Moving/splitting the current ones with the associated deleted 'fixed now- thanks!' type posts is a bit hard too.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

I should say, the idea behind my thinking is the current guides are pretty bulletproof IF multiples are not followed - but the options are there (and people seem to)

I keep re-wording my 'additional info' in the hope that the less options there are, the more stuff is explained the less people can get in trouble or need to ask why they have a sudden error after copy/pasting stuff they may not understand the implications from ( so some lines of //this will do this... would help teach people.)

Don't know about anyone else, But despite being accused of being 'a prrogrammer' and mean on new guys and being 'use to all this' - I have 0 qualifications. 2yrs ago I didn't have a Pi/Linux so self taught almost everything. Researching first, reading online tutorials ( a lot) and trying while making sure I know what I did to reverse it if it failed before reading the error and searching what it did.
    This way I've taught myself HTML coding (in notepad!) CSS styling, some basic PHP coding/Bootstrap design - Which is a far stretch from some console commandlines in comparison Where theres a will..
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

You are right Oblivian. Too many options and too many guides have evolved over a period of last 4 to 5 years.

I think there should be only two guides, one for PI24, other for Raspbian with dump1090-mutability or dump1090-fa package install.

Each of above two guides at the end should have only links to installation pages of feeders other sites.

Ok give me some time to workout how to reduce and consolidate these.

Comment

Oblivian:
        As a first step make this thread un-sticky:

How to Install dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev on RPi

This thread was useful until recently when no pre-built package for dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev was available, and building it from source code was the only solution.

As we have recently discovered that pre-built package for it is now available, this can be made un-sticky.

Comment

Done.

I envisage moving forward could be as easy as copy/paste the current working sections. And just splitting off to different solutions

Don't think anything would need to be re-written. Just validated as current and and working. And some notes explaining what each step does - with potential reversal procedure or quick 'this is how to fix if you see an error'

Which could be built on or adjusted over time as the pop up

Comment

We can mock any changes as posts here before making actual threads, get a bit of group input etc. I'm sure anyone who didn't understand something or had more input could soon point it out

Comment

Actually the recent problems were caused by two main factors:
              (A) The broken activation page, which does not list and activate new Pi24 image, but wrongly directs it to this instruction:

SSH into your Raspberry Pi and execute this command:
              Code:
              sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
              This causes following two problems:
              1. A new user does not know what is SSH, how to install PuTTY, and how to copy-paste commands. He is at total loss. He then Googles, searches and after strugling for considerable time, finally finds how to SSH.

2. When he issues the bash command, it fails due to GPG key issue.

(B) The newly released distro Buster, which uses advance versions of dependencies. This causes many software to fail to install. It will take some time for these software developers to upgrade their software/feeders to be compatible to Buster. Till then workarounds are required.
              Last edited by abcd567; 2019-07-22, 07:40.

Comment

1.15 prebuilt is only available on Buster though, correct?
                Oh abcd567 is offering a precompiled package for stretch, right?

The virtual machine thread should probably have a disclaimer at the start, that using a Raspberry Pi is recommended.

Which feeders aren't working on Buster?
                Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-07-22, 07:42.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                  1.15 prebuilt is only available on Buster though, correct?
                  Oh abcd567 is offering a precompiled package for stretch, right?

The virtual machine thread should probably have a disclaimer at the start, that using a Raspberry Pi is recommended.

Which feeders aren't working on Buster?
                  Potentially none. But there was 2 days of hoop jumping to get it working based on anyone stumbling on current generic pi instructions present.

Comment

Example: the mlat-client of rb24feeder fails to install on Buster

The fr24feed activation problem was there on Stretch and continues on Buster. It was, and is happenning since quiet some time both on Pi24 and Raspbian (Stretch & Buster).
                    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-07-22, 07:56.

Comment

The GPG problem shouldn't exist anymore on Buster.

Comment

@ Oblivian

I fully support your aims and can see the benefits. BUT:

Where is FR24?

Surely it's in its interest to make sharing as easy as possible, preferably "out-of-the-box" with a friendly user interface for making changes and adding options? In my experience, the majority of sharers/feeders prefer not to venture into the realms of SSH and Linux commands.

I don't understand why FR24 has abondoned this forum, it's primary communication channel for the thousands of data sharers/feeders that underpin its business.

Without input from yourself and others, we'd be up the proverbial!
                        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Hi folks, I made the transition from windows to Raspberry and have got it working even if I have now got a new feed name. It's on the same network and the router shows it at 192.168.0.22/24 when I finished installing it there were two addresses which would show me the statistics and the planes being tracked. hopefully I

The above linked problem was caused because the activation page, instead of listing and activating new feeder, threw it to "SSH and give bash command".

The poor guy did not know how to SSH, and that he has to install PuTTY. He also did not know how to copy-paste commands into PuTTY.

After struggling he found out how to SSH, and when he issed the bash command, it failed due to GPG or IPv6 issue.

His anger is justified, and since all the FR24 staff is hiding, he took out his anger on Oblivian who was available and exposed to the users.
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2019-07-22, 08:11.

Comment

It's a tricky one.

I love personal interaction as much as the next person. And monitoring the online users all day tends to show how many actually use search. And how many others often sign up, bypass the 'please read me' post and go straight for the jugular and post a thread. Why? I guess the are reasonably assured some personal responses given the nature of a community forum

I can imagine it would be almost a full time role being that person. (FA have someone to, no?) But as quiet as the responces on social media and along with here. I can only guess the cut-throat commercial side means it would also en-tale some political tight lip responces or closed door solutions still if one did exist.

Guess the number of visitors here is a fraction of the total community as a whole and theres enough coverage from working ones to not bother. And therefore not making the economy roll short of handing out another business acct. So low priority?

And no way to keep a log of whos reported what as much as a CRM ticket. Not having know how successful the HD responces are, and to what level of help comes of it (maybe even a 'post on the forum' like they do with the database amendments now). Perhaps there is content that at least 3-4 apt users are willing to. And it gives some free assurances that at least some tickets will be diverted and taken care of?

I've had periods where someone has gone off at me for being a bully or not helpful and sat back for a while to see what happens. The demand doesn't change. Guess I can't help myself.

Comment

Ah yeah the Activation page for the pi24 image.

Thought you meant the install script.
                              Hmm maybe the GPG issue is still present on Buster. (that is a debian/Raspbian problem though, i though they had fixed that)

I get the impression they are relying in big parts on the feeder boxes they ship with antenna and everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X