ABCD- Guide consolodation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
    Ah yeah the Activation page for the pi24 image.

Thought you meant the install script.
    Hmm maybe the GPG issue is still present on Buster. (that is a debian/Raspbian problem though, i though they had fixed that)

I get the impression they are relying in big parts on the feeder boxes they ship with antenna and everything.
    Yuh. Pi feeds are a backup bonus for enhancing what's already beatin the pants off.

I suspect if you asked each user why they feed. There would be 3 pools.
    For the love and learning (plain ol geek points)
    For the community (been around for a while and given up trying to be a F-)
    For the free account and no ads.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Ah yeah the Activation page for the pi24 image.
      I get the impression they are relying in big parts on the feeder boxes they ship with antenna and everything.
      The free FR24 receivers represent approximately 20% of the total feeder population. FR24 (and its competitors) need data from those who fund their own kit as well as their supplied equipment. They can't rely on those with the free kit, who also go offline, many ad infinitum.

Feeders die, move location, lose interest, sell the free kit or suffer from natural disasters such as hurricanes and tsunamis. There's a natural attrition rate that needs to be replaced.
      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

We could drop/combine https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...l=1#post116967

Into a single one by the looks and link it?. A lot of that is the same as the 1.15 dev ones?
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
          I don't understand why FR24 has abondoned this forum, it's primary communication channel for the thousands of data sharers/feeders that underpin its business.

Without input from yourself and others, we'd be up the proverbial!
          Speaking of, It's probably on a bit of a google ranking penalty at the same time - Imagine if this lovely person and the others I'm nuking at present was posting instead of dropping URLs in profile and logging in with the next acct... (I gave the list of disposable addresses to block and a plugin to remove the URL fields..)spammer.JPG

bout the 16th today (https://forum.flightradar24.com/memb....php?do=search sort by joined after and pick 1-2 days prior to see ones I've missed)

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
            We could drop/combine https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...l=1#post116967

Into a single one by the looks and link it?. A lot of that is the same as the 1.15 dev ones?
            Only STEP -1 is common, rest are quiet different in "alternatives depricated windows feeder, linux on VM" and "1.15~dev on RPi".

Dont think should be merged. Merging will create confusion.

This thread for "feed from Linux on VM in Windows" will gradually become redundent as feeder migration to RPi or VM is over. Then it can be made un-sticky
            Last edited by abcd567; 2019-07-22, 09:40.

Comment

When I say merge, I mean pull all the common stuff out. Put it in a single post/1 spot. Refer it

Does that one need the same instructions that are also in the other 2? cause it seems they are? Its compiling 1-15 all over

Comment

When I say merge, I mean pull all the common stuff out. Put it in a single post/1 spot. Refer it

Does that one need the same instructions that are also in the other 2? cause it seems they are? Its compiling 1-15 all over
                Agreed. Will check both, and if no difference, remove from VM thread and instead provide link to 1.15~dev thread.

Comment

My head is thinking Hierarchical logic

Which is likely WELL over-engineered for purpose

Where the main thing would cover what people have come for specifically.

And steps within broken into external steps, with the option to swap out to different

fr24herical.JPG

Of course people would still find the instructionals on their, so would need a back-reference too *sigh* I only just thought of that

Or consider the right blocks a single multi-post thread with each page dedicated to the differing versions if they fit

Comment

Like, if all the different dump solutions were in a single

At least if you suggest to someone to try the alternate method, it wouldn't need to be re-pasted all over. Just refer the alternate one

It's hard to gauge at what level would get themselves to.

Or which alternate feeders would like to be added. I too swing toward a standard base + addons as required. But thats out of reach for some levels

So the pi24 mods are still required for those who get braver

I dunno. Thinking too hard lol

No easy way out. But it does seem to be common errors arising, and when you ask what was done to get to that point its 'I can't recall which thread' (or impatiently raced ahead instead of halting there and then)

Comment

1.15 prebuilt is only available on Buster though, correct?
                      Oh abcd567 is offering a precompiled package for stretch, right?
                      The dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev package I have built and uploaded to my Github site is compatible to both Stretch & Buster.

It can be installed on Raspbian image (Stretch & Buster) by following bash script:
                      Code:
                      sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/dump1090/master/install_dump1090_mut_1.15.sh)"

It can be installed on Pi24 image (current Stretch, future Buster) to replace ver 1.14 by following bash command
                      Code:
                      sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/dump1090/master/PI24_replace_dump1090_v1.14_by_v1.15.sh)"
                      Both the above bash commands are comprehensive and user does not have to issue any other command.
                      Last edited by abcd567; 2019-07-22, 10:31.

Comment

Automation! I like automation

If 20 steps can be (flawlessly) cut down to 1-2 lines. It takes the 'OMG SCARY' factor and potential to go wrong away from end users.

The downside, if it does go wrong. There can be a whoooole lot more reasons for it to try solve

Comment

Automation! I like automation

If 20 steps can be (flawlessly) cut down to 1-2 lines. It takes the 'OMG SCARY' factor and potential to go wrong away from end users.

The downside, if it does go wrong. There can be a whoooole lot more reasons for it to try solve
                          It will be interesting if you try yourself to see if it is flawless or not:

(1) Burn Pi24 to microSD card, then run its bash command I have posted above

(2) Burn Raspbian Buster to microSD card and run its bash script I have posted above.

Comment

Oh, I have no doubt much like wiedehopfs it'd likely work on a clean base.

But can we account for every partial edit/change users might have got a 'tip' for or google-fix that try to apply it to un-break stuff and ensure it doesn't error out

Comment

It's the sort of thing you would want to look out for key error words and do a !halt while outputting the current 'whats been done log' to that point (or produce nice formatted output and stop when it hits one)

Comment

But can we account for every partial edit/change users might have got a 'tip' for or google-fix that try to apply it to un-break stuff and ensure it doesn't error out
                                Normal & Error messages (stdout and stderr)are by default output to PuTTY window.

Comment

Working...
                                X