Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: feeding and listening

Flight attendant
    @abd567,

I regret selling my Yeasu receiver a long time ago. But you know the saying: If I would, I should etc.

Super Moderator
    Please stop using @'s - use the multi quote button (to the right of 'reply with quote')

It encourages everyone to use them, and then their posts all get blocked until 10-20 are posted.

What I was getting at, is you have 2 options. Purchase a scanner (few here will voice an opinion - better suited to scanner forums
    Use your current SDR and stop feeding, watching the local map from others only.

The alternate If you purchase a 2nd SDR you can made it pipe to some speakers. But it will add load on your device and cause potential issues configuring both ADSB feed software

https://github.com/szpajder/RTLSDR-Airband/wiki

Again, assistance for that would need to come from the RTL-SDR community
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchyb View Post

thank you for the reply. I am using a Jetvison dongle at the moment, waiting for my antenna and than I will use the ADS-RDS dongle I recently purchased.

I understand that you are using your HAM gear for listening. After what I read on different forums it is probably the best choice. As said before, I like to gather a lot of information about the aviation scanners before buying one. But as always different people, different opinions. Trying to find the right one for my needs.
    Although its probably not something to encourage, plus it is probably illegal in some countries if you don't have an amateur licence, there are lots of ham radios around on ebay that will cover what you want. Often much cheaper and better quality than some of the over priced scanners. A few are also easily programmed using programs like Chirp to avoid all that tiresome multi-function button pressing.

Passenger
    When I am mobile, I am using my hamradio transceiver Yaesu FT-857 installed in my car, with a dualband mobile antenna (2m/70cm amateur bands).

At home, occasionally I use an Airspy R2 SDR connected to my Windows 10 PC, with a Diamond X510 dualband base station antenna. Previously I received air traffiic with the Yaesu FT-8800 radio.

Any receiver/scanner/radio will do which has the air band capability - 108...137 MHz. As always, the antenna is recommended to be as high mounted as you can.

Flight attendant
    Thank you for the input.
    I am living in a country where it is allowed to listen to air traffic control.

You are right about the very expensive scanners. But being a novice I am very afraid to buy such a device on Ebay or another site. Regarding the programming, most of the software is Windows based and I am using a MacBook, I know I can use Parallels etc.
    Currently looking at SDRPlay.

Flight attendant
    YO5CRQ

thanks for the reply. I know the antenna should be mounted as high as possible. I am living in an apartment , and have a small balcony. For feeding I ordered a RTL_SDR dongle and an antenna wiedkopf recommended.

I will look for a "good" receiver. I do not have a license, so the search will be rather long

Passenger
    Hy,
    I recently bought an Uniden bct125at.
    very happy with it so far!