Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeding and listening

Hello all,

as all members here I am feeding to several tracking sites.

I would like to extend the hobby by listening to air traffic as well. Are members here that do the same. If yes, please share what scanner(s) you are using. I am thin king of buying desktop base station. At the moment I am struggling to chose between Whisler or Uniden.
    Any input is highly appreciated.

Dutchyb

Hello abc567,

thank you for the reply. I know these live feeds, but I want to listen to what I can. Not depending on what others stream. read that it must be possible to "listen" to plane to plane conversation as well. using aviation scanners. In fact picking up the conversations from the planes I can " see" on Flightradar etc. Hope I explained myself better.
    Last edited by Dutchyb; 2019-07-20, 19:33.

Comment

Maybe ask over at forum.liveatc.net?

Or ask on the FA forum, more people hanging out there.

Comment

@ wiedehopf,

I read a in forums about scanning. I was curious if any member here is listening. It seems possible to listen with a SDR dongle as well, but I am not that technical. And I am curious if some on is able to listen and see the plane at the same time. Many people on the scanner forums only listen and have short wave receivers as well.

Comment

They're like that because you can't do both just because you have a stick.

You need a sole receiver for reach role. And here, people are more focused on the feeding role

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchyb View Post
            @ wiedehopf,

I read a in forums about scanning. I was curious if any member here is listening. It seems possible to listen with a SDR dongle as well, but I am not that technical. And I am curious if some on is able to listen and see the plane at the same time. Many people on the scanner forums only listen and have short wave receivers as well.
            Any SDR dongle will receive the aeronautical bands (but avoid those that are designed or modified for ADS-B reception) and there is free software available. I believe some software will scan a selected frequency band, but I have been using my ham gear for monitoring and haven't kept up to date on software.

Comment

I am not a regular listener. I listen to air communications only occasionally. I do this on "Grundig Satellit 750" which I have purchased about 10 years ago.

LW, MW, FM, AIR, SW SSB

Air Band 118 Mhz to 137 Mhz
              HF 1750 Khz ~ 30 Mhz

Grundig Satellit 750 Radio.jpg

Comment

@Oblivian,

thank you for the answer. I know I need a receiver and I also know that most members here are feeding. I was just curious if there were members with the same interests as me. I am checking receivers (Uniden , AOR and Whistler).
                Before buying a receiver, I try to get information as much as possible, as those receivers are not cheap.

Comment

@ Stealth,

thank you for the reply. I am using a Jetvison dongle at the moment, waiting for my antenna and than I will use the ADS-RDS dongle I recently purchased.

I understand that you are using your HAM gear for listening. After what I read on different forums it is probably the best choice. As said before, I like to gather a lot of information about the aviation scanners before buying one. But as always different people, different opinions. Trying to find the right one for my needs.

Comment

@abd567,

I regret selling my Yeasu receiver a long time ago. But you know the saying: If I would, I should etc.

Comment

Please stop using @'s - use the multi quote button (to the right of 'reply with quote')

It encourages everyone to use them, and then their posts all get blocked until 10-20 are posted.

What I was getting at, is you have 2 options. Purchase a scanner (few here will voice an opinion - better suited to scanner forums
                      Use your current SDR and stop feeding, watching the local map from others only.

The alternate If you purchase a 2nd SDR you can made it pipe to some speakers. But it will add load on your device and cause potential issues configuring both ADSB feed software

Multichannel AM/NFM demodulator. Contribute to charlie-foxtrot/RTLSDR-Airband development by creating an account on GitHub.

Again, assistance for that would need to come from the RTL-SDR community
                      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchyb View Post

thank you for the reply. I am using a Jetvison dongle at the moment, waiting for my antenna and than I will use the ADS-RDS dongle I recently purchased.

I understand that you are using your HAM gear for listening. After what I read on different forums it is probably the best choice. As said before, I like to gather a lot of information about the aviation scanners before buying one. But as always different people, different opinions. Trying to find the right one for my needs.
                        Although its probably not something to encourage, plus it is probably illegal in some countries if you don't have an amateur licence, there are lots of ham radios around on ebay that will cover what you want. Often much cheaper and better quality than some of the over priced scanners. A few are also easily programmed using programs like Chirp to avoid all that tiresome multi-function button pressing.

Comment

When I am mobile, I am using my hamradio transceiver Yaesu FT-857 installed in my car, with a dualband mobile antenna (2m/70cm amateur bands).

At home, occasionally I use an Airspy R2 SDR connected to my Windows 10 PC, with a Diamond X510 dualband base station antenna. Previously I received air traffiic with the Yaesu FT-8800 radio.

Any receiver/scanner/radio will do which has the air band capability - 108...137 MHz. As always, the antenna is recommended to be as high mounted as you can.

Comment

Thank you for the input.
                            I am living in a country where it is allowed to listen to air traffic control.

You are right about the very expensive scanners. But being a novice I am very afraid to buy such a device on Ebay or another site. Regarding the programming, most of the software is Windows based and I am using a MacBook, I know I can use Parallels etc.
                            Currently looking at SDRPlay.

Comment

Working...
                            X