Raspberry Pi with 3.5" LCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi with 3.5" LCD

I have got my Pi up and running, and sending data and can view the data on my PC via the web page.
    My Pi also has a 3.5" LCD display, that I would like to echo the data feed to so that I dont need to keeep checking on my PC that its working.

Any basic help/commands I can enter to get this to display?
    ie
    ModeS: C82272 Callsign: SDA652
    Lat: -43.3851
    Long: 172.6252
    Alt: 5900ft
    SQW: 5535

please bear in mind I am an absolut Linux novice so would appreciate detailed command line info
    Thanks
    Andy

First use this: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...for-dump1090fa

Then on the console you can just type:
    view1090-fa

It will show you a crude list of aircraft on the console.

Alternatively you could install the graphical user interface and open the same web page you are checking.

Comment

Always the 8754:/monitor.txt too for super crude.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks very much that does the trick.
        Next stupid question.. how do I get the view1090-fa command to autoexecute every time the Pi reboots so that I dont need to connect a keyboard?

Comment

You can follow this answer here:
          I just installed Debian 9.2.1 on an old laptop as a cheap server. The computer is not physically accessed by anyone other than myself, so I would like to automatically login upon startup so that if I

Don't edit /etc/systemd/logind.conf, you still want to have mutiple terminals so you can change terminal and login by pressing Alt-F2

Follow this 2nd block of the answer:
          Code:
          mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d
          echo "[Service]" > /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
          echo "ExecStart=" >> /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
          echo "ExecStart=-/usr/bin/view1090-fa" >> /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
          echo "StandardInput=tty"  >> /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
          echo "StandardOutput=tty"  >> /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
          Note that i've here replace /path/program -arg1 -arg2 by /usr/bin/view1090-fa so view1090-fa is started.
          Good luck

Comment

Thanks very much! Will give that a try

Comment

Wiedhopf, thanks for your help, but I am having "permission denied" errors...

Comment

and I must have a minimum of 4 posts to reply.. yet it wont let me reply after 4 posts... try again...

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                  You can follow this answer here:
                  I just installed Debian 9.2.1 on an old laptop as a cheap server. The computer is not physically accessed by anyone other than myself, so I would like to automatically login upon startup so that if I

Don't edit /etc/systemd/logind.conf, you still want to have mutiple terminals so you can change terminal and login by pressing Alt-F2

Follow this 2nd block of the answer:
                  Code:
                  mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d
                  echo "[Service]" > /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
                  echo "ExecStart=" >> /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
                  echo "ExecStart=-/usr/bin/view1090-fa" >> /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
                  echo "StandardInput=tty"  >> /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
                  echo "StandardOutput=tty"  >> /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
                  Note that i've here replace /path/program -arg1 -arg2 by /usr/bin/view1090-fa so view1090-fa is started.
                  Good luck

I was out of town for the last week, and just got a chance to try this.
                  I had a read of the linked info but didnt have any success with entering the commands as you showed.
                  I am getting permission denied errors:
                  -bash: /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf: Permission denied

so then I tried the another method suggested on that page:

#mkdir /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d
                  #cd /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d
                  #nano override.conf
                  and add
                  [Service]
                  ExecStart=
                  ExecStart=-/usr/bin/view1090-fa

however when I try to exit and save the file, it also gives an error permission denied
                  pi@raspberrypi:/etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d $ ls -l
                  total 4
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 30 Oct 9 2018 noclear.conf

Comment

@ signs triggered moderation.
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

You need SUDO infront of each command (that will need to edit or change a file) to give elevated rights/permissions.

Start there and have another go.

Comment

you can do this once before all the commands:

Code:
                        sudo su -l
                        This means you will be logged in as root and have sufficient permissions.

Be careful, with this little understanding you might destroy your system on accident.
                        (make it not boot anymore)

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Wiedehopf, but it seems like Im going to need more than good luck?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo su -l

SSH is enabled and the default password for the 'pi' user has not been changed.
                          This is a security risk - please login as the 'pi' user and type 'passwd' to set a new password.

root@raspberrypi:~# mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d
                          root@raspberrypi:~# echo "[Service]" > /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
                          -su: /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf: Read-only file system

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiandy View Post
                            Thanks Wiedehopf, but it seems like Im going to need more than good luck?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo su -l

SSH is enabled and the default password for the 'pi' user has not been changed.
                            This is a security risk - please login as the 'pi' user and type 'passwd' to set a new password.

root@raspberrypi:~# mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d
                            root@raspberrypi:~# echo "[Service]" > /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf
                            -su: /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf: Read-only file system

Pi image by chance?

NOTE: The Pi24 image sometimes mounts as "read-only file system". As a result installation of other feeders fails and gives erro messages. In this case first change read-only file system to read & write system by following command, then try again to install other feeders.
                            Code:
                            sudo mount -o remount,rw /

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                              Pi image by chance?
                              Thanks very much!.. that did the trick!... all working now

Comment

Working...
                              X