Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux DEB for SBS users

Hi,

Reading all the messages in this forum it is clear that fr24feed 18-5 is broken with the SBS range of products. I have seen a new version of the Windows and Pi version to fix this, but can't find Linux deb ?

I have a Ubuntu server which is on 24/7 and so want to use this for fr24feed... I have a Funcube Dongle and a SBS-3 unit, both very capable of receiving flight data, but currently neither work with fr24feed, I am reluctant to go and buy another dongle/or a Pi...

If the Linux version is around, can someone share it ? I imagine if a Pi version exists, then porting to Linux x64 is pretty easy no ?

Thanks.

Adam

There is no source code available for fr24feed. So no porting.

Do yourself a favor, buy a RPi 3 B+, the Official Power supply for it and a dongle if you want to continue feeding FR24.

good dongles: green radarbox dongle / Flightaware Pro Stick Plus
    (both have filtering and an LNA)
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-07-10, 08:14.

Comment

Thanks @wiedehopf

My question was for the Fr24 team, if they have a new PI version, then porting it (for them to do) to Linux I imagine is easy...

As I mentioned, I already own two devices capable of collecting flight data, so not keen on spending cash just for fr24feed, especially when it is known that a fix is available for SBS units...

Thanks

Comment

I meant for FR24 folks to port... once the Pi version is done, I imagine it is just a re-compile for linux i386/x64..

As I mentioned, I have 2 devices that capture flights perfectly, just not with fr24feed, although a fix is in place for SBS... just need the linux version...

A.

Comment

It would most likely be an easy recompile indeed.
          But i wouldn't expect an answer here, you could open a support ticket.
          In that you would probably hear they have no plans to support anything but Raspbian.

Haven't read pretty much anything from FR24 employees here for quite some time except for the Windows Feeder being disconintued.

Good luck nonetheless, a x86_64 feed client that is up to date would sure be nice

Comment

If you use following Linux x86 OS, the latest distro for RPi (fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb) will work on it.

Raspbian Desktop (x86) for PC and Mac

Download page:

For full details see this post:

Feed options for depreciated windows feeder

Comment

Installing fr24feed Using debian package for RPi:
              "fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb"

SBS user should use only this option

NOTE:
              This works ONLY on following OS:
              "Debian Stretch with Raspberry Pi Desktop
              The Raspberry Pi Desktop OS for PC and Mac - based on Debian Stretch"

Code:
              # Add architecture armhf to use RPi armhf package on i386 / i686 / x86_64 PC: 
              sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf 
              sudo apt update 

# Install dependencies 
              sudo apt install gcc-6-base:armhf libc6:armhf libgcc1:armhf libstdc++6:armhf 

# Download fr24feed armhf.deb package and install it on i386 / x86_64 PC 
              wget -O fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb http://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/rpi_binaries/fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb 
              sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb 

# Signup and configure receiver 
              sudo fr24feed --signup 
              sudo systemctl restart fr24feed 
              fr24feed-status
              Last edited by abcd567; 2019-07-10, 21:24.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                If you use following Linux x86 OS, the latest distro for RPi (fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb) will work on it.

Raspbian Desktop (x86) for PC and Mac

Download page:

For full details see this post:

Feed options for depreciated windows feeder
                Contrary to most, it appears hes a Linux desktop user already, not windows - so wanted the pure Linux build greater than 18 that's available :/
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                  Contrary to most, it appears hes a Linux desktop user already, not windows - so wanted the pure Linux build greater than 18 that's available :/
                  I this case I wish him good luck. He has to wait with patience of a Saint.

Comment

I'm sure you can get the qemu emulation that Raspbian desktop is doing for armhf going on another distribution.

But i doubt it's fun to configure it

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                      I'm sure you can get the qemu emulation that Raspbian desktop is doing for armhf going on another distribution.

But i doubt it's fun to configure it

Tried this , but the fr24feed just hangs without connecting to either FR24 or the SBS-2... I wasted a few hours playing with this, but it seems it would take a longer effort to get working...

Yes, already have a Ubuntu X64 platform running 24x7, so looking for a pure linux fr24feed version (not RPI)...

Thanks,

A

Comment

This actually looks not as complicated as i thought:

Not sure how well those Debian instructions apply to Ubuntu but they should as Ubuntu is based on Debian.

SBS does propietary protocols instead of just providing AVR or Beast data.
                        That's the main problem with SBS.

Using a dongle for 1090 MHz solves that problem which is SBS.
                        With an RPi you can place that dongle anywhere you have power and WiFi.

The SBS systems are quite costly and don't perform any better than current dongles with a builtin LNA. (from reports on this forum)
                        From reading quite a bit here, it seems the sensible thing to do is to just bin the SBS and replace it if you want to feed anyone.

I suppose you could use the dongle with your Ubuntu server if you wanted to, but i doubt you coax reaches to your server
                        Anyway the extra flexibility you get with an RPi is very nice.

Comment

As I say I wasted a few hours on this (QEMU)...

I can only get: (running the ARM binary on my Ubuntu X64 system using qemu)

~/fr24feed_arm/fr24feed_armhf# qemu-arm fr24feed
                          2019-07-11 12:08:55 | ______ _ _ _ _ _ _____ ___
                          2019-07-11 12:08:55 | | ___|| |(_) | | | | | | / __ \ / |
                          2019-07-11 12:08:55 | | |_ | | _ __ _ | |__ | |_ _ __ __ _ __| | __ _ _ __`' / /' / /| |
                          2019-07-11 12:08:55 | | _| | || | / _` || '_ \ | __|| '__|/ _` | / _` | / _` || '__| / / / /_| |
                          2019-07-11 12:08:55 | | | | || || (_| || | | || |_ | | | (_| || (_| || (_| || | ./ /___\___ |
                          2019-07-11 12:08:55 | \_| |_||_| \__, ||_| |_| \__||_| \__,_| \__,_| \__,_||_| \_____/ |_/
                          2019-07-11 12:08:55 | __/ |
                          2019-07-11 12:08:55 | |___/
                          2019-07-11 12:08:55 | [main][i]FR24 Feeder/Decoder
                          2019-07-11 12:08:55 | [main][i]Version: 1.0.23-8/generic
                          2019-07-11 12:08:55 | [main][i]Built on Oct 16 2018 08:10:47 (HEAD-2d57e58.git/Linux/static_armel)

this far and fr24feed hangs..... read and googled and decided not to spend any more time on qemu

A.

Comment

After following the steps i linked in my previous post you should just be able to run ./fr24feed

If that doesn't work you're out of luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X