Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: FR24 Receiver doesn't boot

  1. #1
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    6

    Exclamation FR24 Receiver doesn't boot

    Hi!

    I only have a few days to fix my receiver that has been offline for 3 months now and since Fr24 support takes too long to answer I figured I would seek help here on the forums instead. I got the receiver from fr24, so it's not one I built myself.

    It failed in an update 3 monts ago, somehow. it just got stuck and stopped sending data to Fr24, even though I could reach its webinterface.

    I flashed a new image to the SD card, but it never showed up on the network and the lights never started to blink, so I figured that maybe the SD card was corrupt.

    I bought a new one and flashed the image again, but still no blinking lights.

    So now I hooked it up to a monitor to see if I can get some error messages, and yep.


    It seems that the DHCP service cannot start, It cannot get an IP so it reboots. It gets stuck in a reboot loop.

    The error messages are:

    Code:
    [FAILED] Failed to start Create Volatile Files and Directories. See ‘systemctl status systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service’ for details.
    And then further down:

    Code:
    [FAILED] Failed to start dhcpd on all interfaces. See ‘systemctl status dhcpd.service’ for details.
    And then:

    Code:
    [FAILED] Failed to start Raise network interfaces.  See ‘systemctl status networking.service’ for details.
    Then it reboots, and the same thing goes over and over again.

    The image is not the Raspberry pi image on their website, its "fr24-skysense-v1.1.0.img"

    What can I do?

  2. #2
    Captain
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    746
    You'll have to wait for them to send you an image that works with your receiver.

    Did you get that image from fr24 support?

    Anyway don't think anyone here can help you, no one is familiar with the software running on fr24 provided feeders.

  3. #3
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post
    You'll have to wait for them to send you an image that works with your receiver.

    Did you get that image from fr24 support?

    Anyway don't think anyone here can help you, no one is familiar with the software running on fr24 provided feeders.
    Thats what I did, I got the image from fr24 support. Its the correct one for this receiver.

    It's basically the same software, at least the underlying OS, it tries to boot raspbian/debian 9, and it's a raspberry pi with a board connected to it through GPIO.

  4. #4
    Captain
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    746
    Still it's quite complicated to even get the card to boot into fallback shell.
    Without knowing the precise setup...

    It's a micro-sd-card correct?
    After freshly writing the card, did you by chance reboot it before it fully came up?

    I'm not even sure how you would get more detailed logs.
    Are you running a linux computer or raspberry pi by chance (for mounting the root partition and maybe checking the logs)

  5. #5
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post
    Still it's quite complicated to even get the card to boot into fallback shell.
    Without knowing the precise setup...

    It's a micro-sd-card correct?
    After freshly writing the card, did you by chance reboot it before it fully came up?
    Yes but there should be a way to set a static network config through a file on the boot partition, like you can do on a raspberry pi. I dont need a fallback shell, I can modify config files.

    I looked through the network configs and its all DHCP configured, maybe if I configure a static config it will boot up.

    Yes a micro-sd card. I put it in, inserted the power cable, let it be for an hour. Then came back, unplugged the power, connected a monitor to the HDMI port and connected the power again, and there I could see the error messages and see that it is stuck in a reboot loop, even if I try again to unplug the power and plug it in again. It wont boot because of the DHCP failure.

  6. #6
    Captain
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    746
    Don't you have a DHCP router?
    So DHCP should work, shouldn't it?

    I would suspect there is another underlying problem connected to the tmpfiles not working. (although that could be some strange read-only hack)

    The problem is i have no idea how they do their network setup, their are multiple possibilities and i'm not really familiar with them.

    Also i'm not sure you can do all network configuration by placing files on the boot parition.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-07-09 at 21:34.

  7. #7
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post
    Don't you have a DHCP router?
    So DHCP should work, shouldn't it?

    I would suspect there is another underlying problem connected to the tmpfiles not working. (although that could be some strange read-only hack)
    DHCP should work, yes. I run a lot of devices on DHCP on my network, so yea maybe its connected to the tmpfiles.. :/

  8. #8
    Captain
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    746
    So you see without more detailed logs from the root partition it's hard to know what's going on.

    You could always get yourself a standard Raspbian Lite image and boot that and check if it works.
    (if you are curious if the hardware works)

  9. #9
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post
    So you see without more detailed logs from the root partition it's hard to know what's going on.

    You could always get yourself a standard Raspbian Lite image and boot that and check if it works.
    (if you are curious if the hardware works)
    Thats actually a good idea, to see if hardware works.

    Im trying once again with this image and the old SD card, then ill try your advice. It's weird though because Etcher even validates the image after its written and everything seems ok.

  10. #10
    Captain
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    746
    They have multiple generations of feeders i would assume.

    Maybe they got the image mixed up with that for another device?
    Who knows ...


    Edit: It would probably be helpful if you could access var/log/boot.log on the root partition of the sd-card.

    As i stated you could do that by using another Raspberry Pi and connecting a card reader with the sd-card to it.
    (and mounting the partition)
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-07-09 at 21:45.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •